Previous Page
Author Try This: Previous Topic Brushing with baking soda Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  1:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
Suzane..sure do..every day.

Sage,
The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Visit Sagewood Blog
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Visit the Shoppe
http://primsistershoppe.com/Vendors/sites/SagewoodFarms/index.php

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  06:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I have been looking for ways to reduce my spending. I already make my own laundry soap and I started the "no shampoo" way of cleaning/washing my hair. Now I can try the baking soda,salt mixture for my teeth. Thanks everyone for such great tips!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile
My dentist says a few times a week with baking soda is OK. He also said that the tartar-control toothpastes are some of the worst! He suggested using the plainest cheapest (pepsodent, whick I'm now using is 89 cents/tube; ultra brite, close-up) toothpaste you can find. Look on the bottom shelf. He said they have found when you stop using the tartar control ones, sensitivity problems go away. Interesting! Like I said, I'm using Pepsodent on the non-baking soda days...
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely going to try and make my own. Thank you for the great info here.

Julie~What is the no shampoo way of cleaning/washing your hair? I am always looking for ways to save money and put less things in the trash.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this just recently. That and no-poo except the water out here is really really hard. The dentist I used to go to took over my grandfather's dental practice and he told me all my life that no one needs toothpaste. People just like the taste. he said if people just brushed properly, they'd be fine without it.

Thanks for the thread. It's just more encouragement to just do it.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  2:39:29 PM  Show Profile
One of my suppliers makes tooth soap. My next order, I'll get some and send a few gals out some samples. It's very interesting. It's like soap only shredded and with some some excellent herbs and EOs. It even gets sudsy, which I'm sure helps release the surface tension of the grime on the teeth.

Cristine

www.thelittlegreenstore.net
Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  2:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
I am no dentist and dont play one on TV <G> but my dentist said some people have denser enamel on their teeth and have no problem with using baking soda. He noted that some medications people take like for seizures etc can make the guns and teeth more sensitive.

He did suggest that when I use it that I wet it and make a soupy paste since this helps soften the abrasiveness of the baking soda.

Am going to start buying the good old tooth powder we used in the 50's and 60's that the grocer and drug stores still carry. I like the taste.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Just brought back some memories of growing up...soda toothpaste!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile
My dentist suggests rubbing some in between the teeth and then flossing while it's in there and rinsing. That is after brushing of course or before whenever you choose to floss. Works great for me and it has kept my gums from bleeding. I do know flossing will reverse gum disease as I no longer have problems with it. So says my dentist and no more bleeding gums.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  7:22:51 PM  Show Profile
I floss everyday and have bleeding gums or I brush to hard! Thanks for the tip on baking soda while flossing!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  4:39:13 PM  Show Profile
You're right to be careful when using abrasives to clean your teeth. Under dire circumstances, they can wear the enamel off your teeth. Let the toothbrush do the work for you, don't scrub so hard. I use peroxide several times a week to lighten the stains on my teeth. Those over the counter remedies can be very damaging to your teeth. The ones where you use the little cup and leave it stuck to your teeth or those strips...? You really shouldn't leave those attached as they erode enamel but if you gently use peroxide or rinse with it, you should be okay.
Another thing, if you use an electric or battery powered toothbrush, it can be very hard on your enamel; be gentle and don't scrub.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  10:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, Look up what flouride is a by-product of...There was an article in the readers digest a yr or so ago and it was scary...actually flouride makes the teeth brittle and the bones also..wonder why so many older people break bines that drink flouride water daily?
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:39:56 AM  Show Profile
I use tooth soap by Perfect-Prescription.com , I also use there tooth brightener and tooth swish. You should go to their site and checkit out. I have really enjoyed their products.
Go to Top of Page

mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:45:05 PM  Show Profile
My dentist uses a baking soda spray to clean my teeth. I use baking soda about everyother week with my ele toothbrush to help keep my teeth white. I love the clean feeling...

I've got a farmgal in Kalamazoo.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  04:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I use a baking soda mixture every day for brushing my teeth & it's almost got rid of my sensitivity completely! This is what I use:

3 tbsp baking soda
water
10 drops tea tree essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil

In a small bowl, mix the baking soda with just enough water to make a paste. Add the tea tree & peppermint essential oils. Use paste to brush your teeth & tongue. Cover the remaining paste & use for the next couple of days.

I put mine in a small jelly jar & it lasts about a week for me. I have tried different essential oils, but I don't know if it's the tea tree that makes different ones taste/smell funny, but they do. So I just stick to the tea tree & peppermint.

There is another recipe that I have that I haven't tried yet:
1/2 cup baking soda
2 tsp salt
3 tsp glycerin
10 or more drops peppermint or wintergreen flavoring (would EO work?)
1 drop food coloring (optional)
warm water

In a small bowl, mix the baking soda & salt. Add the glycerin, flavoring & if desired, 1 drop blue or green food coloring. Add warm water, a drop at a time, until the texture & consistency seem right. Spoon the mixture into a clean squeeze bottle or any convenient, clean container with a tight lid. You may have to adjust the amount of glycerin to arrive at a consistency that suits you. This toothpaste will keep indefinitely in a covered container.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:07:02 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the Baking Soda. I am so sick of buying toothpaste and wondering what else is in that could be harmful. Thanks for the info.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  7:38:09 PM  Show Profile
I make my own toothpaste with coconut oil, calcium carbonate, natural clay, Dr Bronners baby soap and some baking soda. I add a little peppermint as well. My very sensitive teeth are no longer sensitive!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  4:47:21 PM  Show Profile
I was using crest toothpaste for many years. Recently I picked up a tube and thought it was the same. It was crest pro health with whitening. Well I started using it and my mouth felt kinda weird after a week. I didn't think much of it. Then I started noticing my lips felt chapped and thought it was the cold air from doing chores outside. I kept putting my homemade lip salve on and it just got worse. Then one morning I woke up and my lips were tingling and they broke out in small water blisters. That was 8 weeks ago and my lips are still peeling and partially numb and tingly.... its like a deep chemical burn thats the only thing I can compare it to.
I stopped using the toothpaste when I realized what I had bought. I went to a plain tarter control and seemed to get better. Then I grabbed the other stuff by accident and broke out again its now in the trash. I can't be 100 percent sure its the toothpaste but I don't know what else I have used new that would have caused it.

I know sometimes the body will put up with something for a long time and then go crazy and break out and then you can never use it again without having a worse reaction. I still wonder if its my homemade lip salve or the toothpaste or even my vitamins. I have stopped using all 3 and my lips are getting better very slowly. I will slowly introduce the vitamins again and wait, then my salve. If all is okay then I will know it was the toothpaste. I am thinking about going with the natural toothpaste. But I will wait until I am healed and get through this process. I have never had my lips react like this before it had been horrible. I could harldy open my mouth to eat and the throbbing was so bad some nights it would wake me up. Anyway some of these things they put in toothpaste is really bad.

Oh when I read the label on the back of the toothpaste it said to not use over 4 weeks and this was the crest prohealth with whitening. I had never read the back and it also said children under 12 should not use it. Learning all the time. I try to be healthy in my life but this is one area I had not put much thought into until now.Sorry such a long story and I went on so long.

Thanks for the thread. I have really enjoyed and learned alot.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Squirrelly
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Andrea
Houston Texas
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  5:26:44 PM  Show Profile
I have never thought of using peroxide for a mouthwash before. I've started to look for alternatives to some of these namebrand cleaners and things. I figure if something on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream in a matter of seconds then I don't want to know about the stuff we tend to clean our mouths with.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Brushing with baking soda Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page