Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What do you add to your homemade yogurt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you add to your homemade yogurt? Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering what you gals add to your homemade yogurt when you made it? Fruit, honey, flavorings? Any and all ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ashley

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I make my yogurt plain (I've heard of folks making "fruit in the bottom" type yogurt, but never tried it since the sugar content of fruit will lessen the acidophoilus content over an extended period). When I am ready to eat my yogurt I some times sweeten it with honey or stevia, then add fruit and vanilla. Other times I will mix in salt, cumin, fennel, and finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc to make riata (supose to be a dip, but I eat it like cold soup). If you are looking for a refreshing beverage, cut your yogurt half and half with water then add lime juice and stevia.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile
I make mine plain, but stir in honey and vanilla, or fresh peaches or berries in summertime. All of my kids love yogurt. I use any that dosn't get used quickly in smoothies and make fresh so we have a supply going most of the time. Except now while Mona is dry..sniff...

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Granola and/or fresh fruit usually. Sometimes a teaspoon of homemade jam right before eating.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  10:54:15 PM  Show Profile
I do lotsa yogurts. I frequently sub it for anything with sourcream, cream or cream cheese. I do add honey and fruits,banana---mango---blueberry especially coconut. I blend in even parts of water until like buttermilk thick, then chill and use mint to freshen. Best is with cukes, alittle garlic onion salt with like a 1/4 cup of chopped mint to make like a cool gazpacho soup. Have you made yogurt snacks by covering raisins pretzels or nuts? I think I just made myself hungry
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  7:28:26 PM  Show Profile
I usually just add fresh fruit and/or granola. Maple syrup is good.

When I was growing up, my mom would make this wonderful, healthy raw milk yogurt and then flavor it with KOOLAID POWDER! Can you imagine?!

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
www.crayonartist.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  10:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Leah,
My mom did that with jello! Almost defeats the idea of feeding your kids healthy!

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you add to your homemade yogurt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page