Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  06:50:25 AM  Show Profile
My daughter planted Seminole pumpkins this year out at her farm and finally one was fully ripe yesterday. They look and taste like a relative to a butternut squash. The meat is dark orange, dense, and quite sweet. As you can see from the first photo, they do have a similar pie pumpkin shape, but the skin is much thinner than that of a true pie pumpkin. The second photo shows how the inside closely resembles a butternut squash. This variety is the only pumpkin that I know of that grows well in our semi tropical climate in this area of the state. I will have to find out if real pumpkins can grow in areas that are closer to the Georgia border because the climate there is slightly different from here.

Yesterday, while it was pouring rain again for the second time that day, I decided to do a fall preview of delicious things to come: bake my favorite pumpkin bread, and enjoy some of last year's pumpkin spice coffee that I had in the freezer.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Winnie
Love those pumpkins. Oh my goodness how lovely your bread and coffee look. I can hardly wait for Fall. My favorite season. Oh the decorating will be so fun and the smells will be so Heavenly.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  09:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Lovely photos. I was dreading fall and the end of summer, but this made me look forward to it a bit. The pumpkin is so pretty---never seen one like it. We grow cinderella pumpkins and the regular jack-o-lantern type. To eat we grow a great tasting squash---speckled hound. They keep all winter and we eat them instead of sweet potatoes. I do love to harvest our fall crops. We grow a lot of gourds---they are so pretty and we give them to our friends. I guess I dread the work of fall---all that wood gathering. But this year I finally convinced my husband to get a wood splitter. That will sure make the job faster and less hard on him. Anyway thank you for your glimpse of fall---it's quite cheery.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  11:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie, I can tell you are itching for fall! I can actually relate. We have had a pretty hot summer with many days in 100s, so it will be wonderful to cool down some. Pumpkin spice food and drinks sound very delicious right now. Pumpkin squares with cream cheese icing is my most favorite!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I love your picture! Fall is my favorite time of year. I can't wait...these 100 degree days are starting to wear on me. I feel sorry for people that have to work outside for a living in this heat. Just seeing this picture give me hope that fall will be here before we know it!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, you NEED a wood splitter!!! My husband let me run his last summer and it made the job SO much easier!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  05:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh yummy. Your bread looks so good. Yes I am looking forward to fall too. The cooler temps, having the harvest over. Just last week i made some zucchini bread, and Pumpkin (squash) bread. Waiting on the apples now, for some apple fritters!! Enjoy

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  3:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Yum Winnie! Your photo and chat and all of our hot weather really made me ache for fall even more than normal Winnie! My favorite time of year as well! The bread looks scrumptious! My pumpkin plants in the garden are thriving!!! Different from how my garden began this spring! I didnt think anything would grow! Cant wait for some pumpkin treats! Thank you for the eye candy and your pumpkins look beautuful!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fall Preview from Florida Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page