Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  10:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
We are in the woods at our summer farm (Winnie gave me the idea to call it that :o) Thanks Winnie!! We will go home Oct 3. Sometimes when I get home I don't have time to decorate. This year fingers crossed I will!

I love Fall. First thing we look for in the woods is the mosquito die off! Unfortunately its been so hot and humid they are alive and well. :o( Also horse flies and Deer flies are usually gone in Fall. But heat and sunshine have brought a few out yet. The only thing I hate about Fall?? Asian Ladybugs going into every building here.
I'm dreaming of crisp cool air!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  07:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Eliz, I am proud to have been the person to name your lovely Summer Farm!! Thank-you for the compliment!!

I know that many people love the fall season but rarely decorate. It is just a matter of preference. For me, surrounding myself with fall colors and unique harvest themed things like pumpkins or mums, just makes me feel happy. That is really why I do what I do. Growing up in Charlottesville, Va which is at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mts, Fall was a real tangible change of the landscape with colored leaves, chilly temps, apple barns full of orchard apples of many varieties , and pumpkins out in farm fields with lots of feet corn fields drying. My Mom never decorated the house because we lived in the middle of those landscape changes. How I knew it was fall was that we brought out our sweaters, a new school year was rolling out, trips to get bushels of apples to can and eat ,leaves piled up in the back yard and we jumped in them before they were burned and mulched, and putting the storm windows in place for the cold weather all happened each year. Every Halloween we would get a huge pumpkin for the porch and Mom would scrape out all of the flesh to cook before we carved the face. Halloween was the first pumpkin pie for dinner of the season!! We kids loved that so much!! The rest of the cooked pumpkin meat was frozen for our Thanksgiving and Christmas pumpkin pies. Fall was about living the change. Here in Florida, however, that does not happen because we live in a semi-tropical climate. I discovered that I still crave those same traditions I grew up with so now I just re-create the Fall of my youth inside my home.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  11:11:36 AM  Show Profile
It's candy corn time and I can't wait to get my first bag of candy corn. Maybe I should indulge in a small bag of candy pumpkins too. Oh my, the simple joys of Fall!

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

Mz Winnie, your meanderings brought back so many memories for me. We also let the outdoors be our decorations. We were always busy with the end of summer chores so the house didn't get a "dress up". Hahaha, it did good to get a CLEAN UP but the kitchen was cleaned from top to bottom. I suppose it was in preparation for Thanksgiving. I still live on the ranch but I love to have some of the great outdoors inside.....and I don't can near as much as my parents and grandparents coz I don't have a garden like our 2 acre one of days gone by. All in all, if the windows get opened and I can have a small fire outside in fire pit, then I will be a lucky lady. (I think I will gather some pinecones and tall grasses and rose hips and enjoy them!)

Hugs,
Daizy
Farmgirl #1093

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile
....and pass the candy corn!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  8:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Very few northern MN trees have turned colors. I think the weather man said the warmer weather was delaying it? It needs cooler weather and rain? Kinda missed it! :o)

Winnie, you are welcome! :o)

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  1:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Hehe, Sara, I have already found the candy corn and enjoyed a bag!!!Then I found the pumpkin candy corns and still working and enjoying those!! Fall isn't Fall for me until the candy pumpkins arrive. Love those silly things!! LOL@@

Well, we are all watching Hurricane Florence carefully down here. There is one model that has Florence hanging off the coast and drifting as far south as Jacksonville, Fla. which will then mean we will get heavy rains and winds here in Gainesville. NO real fall feeling here with temps about 93 degrees, humid the the weight of a possible hurricane filling our minds!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh Winnie, for me Fall isn't Fall until the popcorn balls come out! I found them today. All my Fall decorating is done except for the porch. It is too wet and nasty to put things out there yet. But it has been fun doing the swaps and using the things I've received to decorate my home.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite season too. I pick Chinese lanterns and cut off the leaves to dry. I love to find bittersweet and cut off these leaves to dry. I have made a table runner and a small wool appliqué wall hanging, I use these for decorating. I have some fall c oleoresins hand woven placemats for the table too. One year I bought a nut wreath and stored it to use for Christmas. I had stored it in the wrapping paper box. When I went to get it out it was just full of tiny bugs, the kind that get in cereal. Ugh! It took a long time to get rid of them. I won't use nuts again unless they are frozen first.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  8:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'll decorate a bit later this month. We're planning a trip to Oregon in early October and will be going 1 1/2 weeks. I usually do a month or so of apple themed decorations because I live next to the apple orchard that I grew up in and apples are one of the farm crops we had on our farm, but I don't think apples are going to happen this year unless they get incorporated into the other fall stuff I do.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2018 :  10:22:22 AM  Show Profile

CJ I hope you have a very fun and enjoyable trip to Oregon. Seems as if September is flying by...Have started some decorating...Need to finish up. Have been trying to get some last minute freezing done while we still have fresh vegetables in our area.

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Is Anyone Ready For Fall Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page