Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Pulling Out of the Funk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pulling Out of the Funk Next Topic  

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies....it's been a long time since I've been on here. I've been in a really bad rut and I can't seem to pull myself out of.

Without boring everyone with my life story, what are your suggestions during these types of seasons of life?

God Bless from the Midwest Nikki H. #5131
Wife, Mother, Soldier

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, and walking, lots of water NO sugar .

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1413 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Turn it over to God. Walk. Eat plenty of healthy foods. I always try to organize a few minutes everyday.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  2:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Surround yourself with positive people. Get out and do something you love. Get out and volunteer for a good cause. Do not be alone.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I am always looking for interesting events nearby, and dragging my sweetie along. He suffers from rut disease too.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  09:55:30 AM  Show Profile
find something creative to do.....I suffer from depression....the last time I was in a funk, I went to a bookstore, bought a children's book on learning to draw cartoons. I dedicated to learning to draw cartons. I still stink at it, but I felt it drawing me out of the dark places. Who can be sad when you are drawing a weird little giraffe?

Hope this helps....remember that you are loved by me!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlshomestead.wordpress.com

The Gourmet Cupboard

http://www.thegourmetcupboard.com/sites/sheronetaylor8622

Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  10:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, you have made the first big step by knowing you are in a rut. While you were knee deep in it you didn't acknowledge it but now you have so that means you have already begun to climb out of it. Great advice from our FarmGirl sisters. The only thing I have to add is every night count your blessings and every morning plan your day so you live it on purpose and not just let it happen to you.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  4:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow ladies....I don't even know where to begin. Thank you girls so much for all your support and advice!!

I seem to do this along, and moreso the older I get. I know I do it, I know I have to get it together, yet I still struggle with it.

I'm the type of person that likes to feel challenged, like I've accomplished something by the end of the day/project/etc. I work a job I do not like, but is what's best for my family....I don't necessarily have the best support system when it comes to understanding my dreams....I'm having to give up things in my life for the sake of my marriage and my family.....

Overall this adulting thing isn't much fun!!

But thank you girls so so much!!

Wife, Mother, Soldier
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  12:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, I agree with everything our sisters have said! I always like to look back on my day and see what I accomplished that day. Some days, all I have to say is that I was able to help one of my kids out with something...but everything we do has merit. Sometimes I need to find a new project to spark some creativity and get me excited. Don't worry, it will pass!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  04:35:29 AM  Show Profile
it helps to get a new project going, that peaks your interest. Accomplishing something, helps you get going. My opinion anyways. lol.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, I hope you will find a new space in your life where you can feel more positive and excited about your choices with your time. It is a process, sometimes, and can take awhile before you find that new "sweet spot". Keep us posted and please do keep joining in here on the topics you enjoy so we can all share our ideas and thoughts!! The MJF community is a wonderful place for support and new ideas. There is always something happening here!! Farmgirl Hugs from Florida coming your way!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Funniest cat videos Nikki!! Tons of them!! Seriously tho, when it hits for me I shut down almost completely but if it were not for the sage advice of Diana, fresh air, hikes water and no sugar, I'd still be in my rut. Do I agree strongly with Diana as I know from experience it works! ( plus the crazy cat videos, lol) My thoughts and prayers are with you! Hugs, Dianna

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  07:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Debbie-Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Michele-I'm trying to get into a new project, I just seem to be having a brain freeze lately. Hard to get motivated to do anything. :-(

Winnie-I appreciate the warm welcome here. I've been around the MJF for a little bit, but nothing consistent really. It's really great to know that it's a safe place I can go when I get into these ruts.

Dianna-I could sit and watch funny cat videos all day long!! It's the "rabbit trail" where I'll start on this video that leads to this and this and before I know it an hours passed! lol!!

I am sure that this phase of my life is "typical". I'm a mom of 4 kids, 3 of whom are school age. I work full time, and my husband works an hour away so it's pretty much all on me during the week. Then trying to maintain a home on top of football, basketball, cheerleading, military obligations. I'm just in a rut. I'm a very social person and I have lost many friendships over the last few years. That's taken some adjusting. My father is an undiagnosed manic depressive bipolar. It scares me because the older I get, the more of those types of symptoms I find in myself. I've never really cared what others thought of of me until recently. I don't fit into the "mom groups". Which is easy to say "oh who cares, you be you and that's all that matters". Not saying that's not a great tip, but it's still a bit harder to control sometimes.

Again, I appreciate you ladies and everything you've said and extended out to me. I am so very thankful for this group.

Wife, Mother, Soldier
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  07:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Get yourself to a psychiatrist and get a formal diagnosis. I knew from a very young age that there was something "different" about me. My parents never took me to be evaluated and it wasn't until my 30's that I was diagnosed with bi-polar. Just knowing for certain is an advantage. Next, find a way to take care of yourself. If that means giving the children more responsibility for themselves or changing routines, do it. Remember that a person cannot take care of anyone else unless they take care of themselves first.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you girls again for all the recent prayers. Things are getting a little bit better. Still hard to feel fulfilled at the end of the day, but I suppose that part I'll just have to take day by day. I appreciate all you ladies so much!

Wife, Mother, Soldier
Go to Top of Page

strength.dignity
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jamie
WAUSAU WI
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile
I know the feeling. When I get in a rut I walk around in my yard with bare feet. It helps me feel more grounded and makes me feel better. If that doesn't work, then I know I have to go to my happy place. I grew about 90 minutes north of here on the weekends. That is where some of my happiest memories are. Last time I was up, it didn't even take me 30 minutes to jump in the lake (with clothes on). If you have a happy place, take a trip and visit it. Sometimes just being where you can connect helps. I hope you are able to get out of your rut, and just know that you aren't alone.

~ Jamie
Farmgirl #7695

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2018 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jamie. You have no idea how helpful and wonderful it was to read that this morning.

I have found a crochet project I'm going to work on and hope it does the trick for now.

I appreciate all the help!!

Wife, Mother, Soldier
Go to Top of Page

strength.dignity
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jamie
WAUSAU WI
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2018 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Nikki,
I hope your day is going well. Projects are always a good way to brighten your day. I have never learned how to crochet, but the finished ones I have seen are always beautiful. If ever need someone to talk to feel free to email me. I may not have answers, but I can listen pretty well.

~ Jamie
Farmgirl #7695

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  6:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Find positive, energetic people to inspire you. Let their enthusiasm jump start you. It really works!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile
And sometimes low vitamin D and vitamin B's can cause down in the dumps feeling. Seasonal Affective disorder also can cause this. If you are perky all summer when the sun is high and high UV and then start feeling down as fall and winter progress, the sun is lower and not enough light to signal chemicals to be made. A Happy Light can help, but you would need proper diagnosing. I would go get a physical and some labs run if you can afford it. It may be something simple to correct. In the meantime, continue to discover new and different things to mix it up for some fun (sorry no fun in the sun here for awhile). Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  10:00:52 PM  Show Profile
It was 22 degrees here in Northern Idaho this morning when I woke up. Crazy too early for that. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

MrsHurlbut
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2018 :  10:51:09 AM  Show Profile
I do get a little down in the dumps without sunshine. I love the cooler weather of fall, but I do feed off the sun for sure! Thank you ladies for all of your helpful tips and tricks!!!! I'm trying these everyday and I do feel better than I did when I wrote this original post. I see now why men have "mid-life crises" lol!

Wife, Mother, Soldier
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2018 :  08:09:56 AM  Show Profile
I used to suffer from depression---especially when I was young. But now I take a pill for that---Lexapro---I call it my crazy pill---LOL. Walk and exercise and garden if you have time. Get a pug dog and their joy will never let you be sad. Mine keeps me laughing all day. Clean and organize and Tackle things that seem to hard to do and that wonderful filling of accomplishment will pick you up. I find that doing a little redecorating in the house is a great pick me up. Even if it's just something as simple as new sheets or towels. Painting a room a new color makes me happy to. My husband hates his job too---but we just look forward to his vacations and days off. Sometimes I get tired and sad being here alone on the farm a lot---but I just always think how lucky I am to have this place and think of what is good in my life. My key to happiness is just accepting that my life is as it should be and to be content. I believe God has a perfect plan for all of us. Just knowing That He will take care of me always brings me peace and joy. Cast your cares and enjoy where you are and where you are going. God bless you.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pulling Out of the Funk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page