Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, our annual September Apple Festival month here at the MJF Chatroom begins September 1 which is just 16 days from now!! For the many newcomers and a general reminder to all, we have set aside each September as a festival month to share apple information, recipes, photos, and have fun! I will host a giveaway and an Apple Swap for anyone to participate in. Come September 1, look for postings to join in!!

There is also an Apple Badge this is easy and fun to do if you are interested in learning more about apples and adding to your badge accomplishments. Please check it out for a fun activity to work on.

The highlight of our month long celebration is our Farmgirl Apple Pie Sunday which is always the last Sunday in September. This year it is Sunday, September 30 so mark your calendars!! I hope you will join in that day and share your favorite apple pie recipe or favorite apple dish, if you are not a pie fan. We always love to see what other Farmgirls are enjoying!!

Apple goodness is arriving soon at MJF and I hope you will hop right in and share!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, thanks for reminding us it's time to start getting ready for our Apple Festival and to let the new FarmGirls in on the fun of celebrating each in our own way.

It's time for me to bake my one pie for the year for Apple Pie Sunday - a baker I am not. I have chosen my recipes. Both are from Gooseberry Patch Tasty Fall Cooking. One is for canning apple pie filling and the other is for a no-roll crust apple pie. I'll be looking for new crop apples to hit the grocery stores. Last year it was before Apple Pie Sunday.

My apple apron and apple garden flag from the first Apple Festival are ready to go. This year I may make something out of wool to add to my apple deco.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I will be gone during September so I won't be able to participate on here for the festival, but I will make sure to find many apple treats along my trip! I will also try to take pictures and share them with you! Have a fun apple festival and eat an apple pie for me!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to all the apple recipes. Mom use to bake pork chops, apple halves and raisins. I love remaking that each year as the apples become available. I also make applesauce every year for eating and baking.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  06:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara , Krista and Lenora for sharing your thoughts and ideas for celebrating with Apples!!

Krista, while I was recently in Germany, I found new crops of fresh apples at the Farmer's market . They don't spray their apples in Germany and the two varieties that I tried were really delicious! When you visit some of the larger cities, you might have the time to visit one of their local outdoor markets and try some apples. Just remember, you cannot bring them back to the US. Ask me how I know??!!! LOL!! OY!!

Sara, I am intrigues by a no roll pie crust. It sounds easy and good. How is it done? I too am planning on using a few new recipes for apples from my latest Gooseberry Patch "Taste of Autumn" (second hand from Amazon) section on apples. There are a few savory dishes that look easy and good. I too have an apple apron and small garden flag that I will be putting out on September 1 while patiently waiting for this year's apple crop to hit the stores. I am hooked on traditional apple pie, but maybe this year, I will venture out or my comfort zone and try a new apple pie recipe. Since I don't make pies very often, I tend to just make my favorite ones when I actually make one.

Speaking of apple recipes, did you all see the latest fall issue of MJF? She has a section on her BakeOver recipes and the one with apples and potatoes is simply AWESOME!! Check it out and give it a try for an easy and delicious dinner.

Lenore, my Mom used to add apples and raising to baked pork chops too. They make a great flavor team and smell wonderful while baking!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  07:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Apple Pie with No-Roll Pie Crust

1 1/2 c all-purposed flour
1 t salt
1/2 c plus 2 t sugar, divided
1/2 c oil
1 T milk
4 to 5 cups Jonathan apples - peeled - cored - sliced
1 t cinnamon

In a 9" pan, combine flour, salt, and 2 t sugar. Add oil and milk; stir until well blended. Use the back of a spoon to shape dough to fit the pan. Flute edges and set aside.

Place apples in large bowl; set aside

Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon in a cup; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat.

Spoon the apples into crust.

Sprinkle Crumb Crust Topping over top. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees; bake for 30 more minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Crumb Crust Topping

3/4 c all-purposed flour
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c butter, softened
1/8 t nutmeg

Combine all ingredients; mix with a folk until crumbly

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  09:12:58 AM  Show Profile
I love apples and I am looking forward to the festival. Fall is in the air and I am finally looking forward to it.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  10:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Wish fall was in the air here. We're dealing with fire smoke from CA, British Colunbia, Oregon and our own. We need our marine air!!!!Dying to make my first fresh apple pie with my own apples.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  11:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, the West has truly suffered this year with terrible fires, drought and high temps! I am so sorry for all of you and I constantly keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, the Fall will soon bring some good rains and restore the environment. It has been a doozy of a Summer here in Florida with too much rain, very high temps, and unrelenting humidity. Here we are suffering from toxic algae blooms on inland waterways, excessive temps along the coasts causing very large toxic red tides, and soggy areas that never dry out and breed zillions of mosquitoes. I have never seen a Summer like this one in the 43 years that I have lived here!

Sending you some Farmgirl Hugs to stem the days until weather conditions improve! Hopefully, your apple harvest will not disappoint and provide you with many apples to eat and bake!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  3:56:56 PM  Show Profile

Sara your pie recipe looks delicious!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy. For me the no roll pie crust is what I like.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree more. Sara, your recipe looks wonderfully simple. This past weekend, I could see that I still had a few pie cherries on one of my trees so I picked a bunch, made a crisp, and just like the little red hen, ate the whole thing myself (over the course of a few days). For the topping, I used sprouted organic oats mixed with some super-fresh quinoa flour Ashley had milled a couple of days prior with a titch of honey from my bees and of course butter from my cows. For the cherries, I pitted them one by one by hand like my mother used to, added a bit of honey to the juice, heated it up, thickened it with ChillOver powder and added some almond extract.

In just the last couple of days, one of my applesauce apple trees is ready so I'm going to make the same thing again, only this time with apples.

Looking forward to Apple Pie Sunday Sept. 30.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane I so like to hear about how most of everything you made came from your farm. I think that is wonderful especially the fresh butter - that's what dreams are made of.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  04:30:28 AM  Show Profile
checked one of my early apple trees last night. Seeds are dark, time to pick. Fresh is best! Fritters, sauce and pies yum.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  06:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, for this recipe!! It looks nice and easy to make which I love.

HI MaryJane!! Your cherry crisp reminds me of the cherry dishes we had on my Grandmother's farm where they had two red tart cherry trees. I like the idea of using your own honey to sweeten and then ChillOver powder to thicken. I never thought of using ChillOver to thicken pies or other sauces where cornstarch is usually used. Thanks for the tip! Cherries are delicious no matter which way you decide to eat them!! Hmmmmm, applesauce apples are ready?? JUST in time to fill the shelves for our upcoming Apple Festival here in September. Do you add much sugar to your sauce? I make mine like my Mama did, which is just to add a bit of vanilla extract in place of sugar. There is a hint of sweet but not so much sugar taste the the true apple flavor gets drowned out.

Here is another favorite way I love to eat apples; Baked apples in an apple baker dish.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  12:34:23 PM  Show Profile

Winnie...That looks so good!!! I love anything apple!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  1:31:53 PM  Show Profile
That is so crazy, Winnie! What did they make you do? Did you have to throw them away? I remember when we went to Hawaii we couldn't bring any of their flowers back, so I wonder if that's the same kind of deal.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I was held alone in a room and inspected by the Agricultural dept. because there are strict rules for bringing anything into the country where a virus, mold, insect, larvae, or bacteria could infect American people or crops grown here. The dept. confiscates the items so that they cannot cross the border. It is for our protection and the protection of farmers which I completely understand. For example, the devastating citrus fruit blight that entered here about a decade ago cause Florida to almost lose all of it's orange trees. Our trees were not familiar with this problem and it killed thousands of them until scientists were able to figure out how to stop it. Florida lost billions of dollars for several years until we were able to deal with it. It never occurred to me that apples could do that, but any living fruit, flower, vegetable etc. can bring in some foreign thing that can be devastating.

You will also see on your immigration card that you fill out upon return to this country asking questions if you have been around livestock barns or have any items like fresh produce, cheese, meat etc. in your possession. For example, I once had some tulip bulbs that I purchased in the Netherlands on a trip and they were also forbidden to enter the country. It does sound like overkill, but in reality, it is not at all. All we have to do is learn about issues like our Florida Orange growers how devastating an import can be on a specific species of plants or animals.

Just an FYI!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to this year's Apple festival!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  10:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Winnie!
I am so happy that 'Apple season' is right around the corner! I've already planned on a trip to Elijah in North Georgia for their apple fest! I bake Apple dumplings every friday night and that's our 'special' dinner! I so love the way it makes the house smell! When we lived in Germany my favorite thing to eat after a good volksmarch was the apfel Strudel!!! YUMMMM!!!! Brings back great memories of our time stationed there!

Lenora, my mother also used apples in her pork chop recipe! We used apples a lot in fact!

Sara your recipe looks delish! Must try! Thank you for sharing!!

Almost time to put up my apple yard flag! Another week! So happy fall is almost around th corner!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I definitely agree with you. It's crazy though because at the time it doesn't cross your mind. It honestly hasn't crossed my mind until you said something. Something as small as packing food with you doesn't make you think about the possible dangers it can bring over, but when you step back and consider the situation it really does make sense. I'm glad they have these rules in play to help our world continue to thrive.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Winnie So exciting! all the Apple recipes look yummy! I make a Favorite Apple Cake from a fund raiser cookbook when my daughter, Holly was in Elementary school! I love those kinds of Cook books, family recipes handed down. I helped edit and publish the book that year and we made a lot of money for band Uniforms!

Dianna Hauf is hosting a September Apple ATC swap over on Farmgirl Swap, Fun way to Celebrate all things Apple!

Winnie, when I left the Bahamas and Ireland, we were checked for any kind of food or plants and you had to discard them in customs if you had them. A huge trash bin was overflowing by the time we went by! I think people still sneak stuff in and it is dangerous to our agriculture!

US customs in Ireland wouldn't let me bring back sealed food in a jar! I had a relish that was soooo good, They put it on Hambergers. That day they took about 75 Euros of gifts from me. All were sealed in jars! They took a clover plant too, which I understood that!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 20 2018 4:38:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August,2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  05:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I love this graphic poster!! Very cool and thanks for sharing!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2018 :  4:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I loved it too!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Winnie I look forward to you beginning to post September 1st...Love the pictures Connie!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 31 2018 5:27:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Annual Apple Festival at MJF! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page