melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  5:54:28 PM  Show Profile

Just sealed the 'deal' regarding an ANCIENT Countermarch loom this afternoon. FREE! The wood is very old-a lovely gray with time loom. This thing is OLD. I have no idea how to assemble it---I do love a puzzle! And, I have no clue how to operate it once its assembled. I have been reassured several times that all the pieces are there. I don't know the history of the loom but the lady who bought it from another family said it was used up until the time it was dismantled. She stored it in her warm and dry attic--never to use it or reassemble it-so there it sat. She then downsized (divorce) and had it stored in a nice and clean garage-which is where it sits until Saturday afternoon when we lug it home. What have I gotten myself into?? I wonder if I should seal it after assembly with some kind of finish? Thoughts anyone?

Melody

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile
no ideas for you, but the price tag was right. Good luck and i know you will figure it out.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  10:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melody.. what a great find,, I'll bet if you search the internet.. you will find a source for info on it..
I hope you are successful, it needs to be used and loved again.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  1:45:24 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Melody! This is going to be a fun and exciting new adventure for you. Good luck with getting it put together and learning to use it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a deal! I am so happy for you! If anyone can figure this out...you can!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  3:36:14 PM  Show Profile
The loom is garbage. We spent HOURS trying to put it together--Missing quite a few very important pieces and what was there was hobbled together with wire-nails-an old screwdriver bits of leather-cogs were all broken and nailed within an inch of their lives. The wood struts etc are so old and cracked it severely compromises the safety of the loom and who knows what kind of tension I would be able to achieve. I am going to contact a few museums to see if they could use the parts or try to restore it. I just don't have the knowledge or the resources to put it back together. Essentially, we just hauled some old decayed wood from someones garage free of charge. I am heartbroken. The woman who I was in contact with was not up front about the condition or the functionality of the loom and I fell for it hook line and sinker. It peeved her to no end that I asked "so many questions!" I wanted to beieve this was the loom for me-made two trips to where it was stored at her friends house 25 miles away. Spent all day Saturday trying to get it to work, but it was impossible with the condition it was in. I am relieved that I did not buy the loom there's that....Anyway, my 4-8 shaft loom is out there waiting for me. I just have to be patient.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  04:20:04 AM  Show Profile
oh darn, sorry to hear that. some people don't care. I hope you find your dream loom soon.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I bought a loom just recently and it came with a book that is basically for any loom. I still have not got it up and running only because i have not taken the time. But yours is out there some place. What do you mean by 4 to 8 shaft loom. I have no idea what mine is. I really need to get mine up and going. it is all together except for one or 2 parts and stringing it. I hope mine works when i do and do not find out that it won't work. I paid for mine . so wish me luck one of these days. You will find one.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ancient Countermarch Loom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page