katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  3:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I miss my other life,, my life in Germany with family and my childhood BFF..
It is a drab & dreary day today so I pulled out some of my CD's filled with photos..
I was suppose to travel back to Germany (Heilbronn) this past May,, but on the day I was getting ready to make the flight arraingements, I got the dreaded call that my dear mother had had a very major stroke...
Mother is doing ok, but will never be able to travel back to her home town,,, I still chat nearly daily with Irmgard as well as my uncle, aunt, cousins.. but mostly Irmgard. We are like twins separated at birth.

When you have a friend so dear,, never miss the opportunity to share and treasure them.
My mother 's father was neighbors with Irmgard's parents, so when we lived with my Opa, (mom's father) that is how Irmgard & I met and became BFF's.
We shared wedding memories, having babies, working,deaths, and now, in our retirement years,, laughs,, lots of laughs.,,,,
Oh how I miss my other life...

My Opa's apartment is the upper left one/balcony and Irmgard's patents lived in the lower on, right corner with blue umbrella.. we would holler over to each other from the balconys, which am sure the neighbors hated! lol!
and Irmgard's mom was mamafritz.. I love and miss her dearly. She always had a big warm hug for me.

Oh sigh.. sweet memories.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 26 2018 7:48:17 PM

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I sometimes get bit by the nostalgia bug too. It is because these places and people are a part of who we are. Memories are so strong and missing connections with people and places is difficult. Germany is such an amazing country, and the village life style so incredible. We too miss Oma and Opa who came to the U.S. from Germany and settled in Connecticut on a farm. My husband has so many great memories with them and his parents as an extended family. My husband was born in Uberlingen on the Lake of Constance. What a great place to visit! The museum there is incredible. Now his parents and grandparents have all passed on. But the traditions are ingrained and we try to honor them. We vacationed in Germany for six weeks and I sobbed when we had to leave to come home(before I was living in Idaho). Well, maybe homebrew some Cherry Liquor or make some Rinderrouladen (Braised Beef Rolls). If you were born in Germany or your parents were consider getting dual citizenship. I've been studying German with the app Duolingo. So incredible and easy. Now plan a trip to visit if you are able to when your mom is stable. We want to vacation there again too. Best to you! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Annie.. yep, before my mothers stroke she still made Schnitzel, Rouladen u. sauerbraten...
My DH and I had been visiting Irmgard's son, down by Lake Constance... it was going through a lot of renovation at that time.

we rode this silly cycle while there...

Oh how I wish I could have all my MJF sisters over for tea and bore them with tons of old photos... lol!

Like I say,, if you can't decide to drink the light beer or dark beer.. then drink both! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:40:33 PM  Show Profile
Here a few pics I dug up from 2004.. I have more pic from several years ago, but darn if I can find them... I will keep looking.

something you won't see in the USA.. McDonalds selling Cluss Beer... lol!

Uschi, me & BFF Irmgard. Uschi is my aunt,

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile

left to right, me, Wilfried, Hermann(my uncle) Brigitte(aunt) u. Irmgard.
Hermann is only 4years older then me & Brigitte is 1 year younger then me. Wilfried is Irmgard's hubby.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:56:23 PM  Show Profile

We start our mornings with a walk to the Bakery (just 5 houses from Irmgard's home)..

My hubby,(Gary), Wilfried & Irmgard & me.. in Ludwigsberg.

The Rahthaus/Courthouse where my mother and dad were married in Heilbronn.

As I said, Cherish your memories... use them to grow... and share them with family and friends and create new memories.

Thanx for letting me share with you.

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 26 2018 7:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  1:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace, these are great pictures! I hope you can return soon. It looks like such a nice place to visit. I really want to try one of those bikes out. They look fun and interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, these were from 2004,, It's been 5 years since my last trip,, I was suppose to return to Germany this past May.. but alas,, will have to wait until 2019...
I hope you have a wonderful trip,, just enjoy and take lots of photos...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  7:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Grace, thanks for sharing the pictures and memories.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  06:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Grace, these are lovely photos! I did not know you were German and I do hope you get to return soon to be with your loved ones and enjoy those places near and dear to your heart. We were able to take a trip to Germany and Switzerland the past first part of August along the Elbe and Rhine Rivers. Germany is a beautiful country and the people are so friendly and interesting. They are great cooks too!! While in Germany in the town of Speyer, my Anecestry.com DNA report came back to my email and I am 55% German from that region in the western border with France and into the northern part of Bavaria. It was exciting to actually be in the heart of where the largest sector of my ancestors came from.

When you get to return to Germany, hopefully in 2019, I look forward to all of the photos and fun! Wilommen Bundesrepublik Deutschland!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,, JaJa,, Welkommen nach der Bundesrepublik, Deutscland.

Oh Winnie,, my family lives near the Neckar river.. Good stars! we could be distant cousins! lolol!
I miss my Knodle, & spetzle... heeheehee..

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 28 2018 12:45:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  2:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful family photos!! To be cherished!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  07:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Grace, now wouldn't that be a hoot if we were somehow related?? German Fraulines Farmgirls in the making going back hundreds of years!!! LOL!!! By the way, in Zermatt, Switzerland, we went to a little local restaurant and dined on the best ever Spetzle and Apful Strudel. It was to die for and all homemade in the back kitchen. But, don't get me started on those German Bakerei !! OMG, the breads!! We also enjoyed some great gingerbread over there. I love it because it is not as sweet as American recipes and full of nuts and raisins. YUM!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Winnie... for sure... luv their gingerbread aka lebkuchen...
thank goodness there is a little German Deli/shop in Spokane that sells (seasonally) lebkuchenhertzen u. Other German holiday goodies. :)
My son-n-law... his father is from Lubeck(N.Germany) and his mother is from the Mels-Serganz area of Switzerland.(about a 15 min drive to Lichtenstein).
I miss my mutti's cooking....
yeppers... it would be a hoot to find relations common in our family lineage. :)

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile
Winnie... pm me with your addy... I will send you a German garden magazine... not current but fun to peruse through non the less.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  8:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, got your email.. and I think I may have double replied,, Duh! I can be so computer challenged at times...

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 30 2018 8:37:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Of course you miss your old life. It sounds wonderful. I miss my old life in ways and it wasn't all that wonderful. I don't like to look at old pictures---makes me sad. Too much gone that I enjoyed. But I have found new joys here and plan to be happy with the way it has all turned out. Some good and a lot not so good.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile
I try to find joy in all things,, even when life throws me a curve...
I am grateful for the joys, challenges and even the moments of sadness... it helps me grow.
and I am very grateful for my MJF sisters

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 31 2018 10:03:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4899 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4899 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  1:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace! Love the pictures! A good friend of mine went home to Germany last Spring. Heidelberg. She still has aunt and uncles and cousins there too. Her sister Hildagard went with her. She shared like you, precious pictures of family and home!

Connie

Imagine....#3392

FGOTM August2014, September 2018.

Edited by - Killarney on Sep 02 2018 1:46:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie, Heidleberg is about an hour drive from my mother's hometown of Heilbronn. My cousin Ann-Carolyn went to the Universaty in Heidleberg.

I was chatting with my sister last night and we have decided we will scratch & save up the money to take our daughters, we each have 1 child, back to Germany and show them our history... hopefully mama will still be with us and in good enough health to travel with us
so we can share our joy with her.
Our goal is for the Fall of 2019.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oh, I miss my other life.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page