AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Haven't been posting but I've been freezing! :) I was able to get out the cookie dough I didn’t have time to bake before and get it all baked up and then the cookies flash frozen, bagged and back in the freezer again! Did this for:

Gingersnaps

Batch of Cocoa Kiss Cookies

Batch of Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies

Chunky Chocolate Gobs

Then I have gotten the following cookies made, baked and frozen too:

1 more batch of Cocoa Kiss

1 more batch of Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel

Pecan Sandies

Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

Chocolate Cut Outs

Kieflees

4 loaves of Cheese, Garlic and Herb Bread

Brownies

Also cooked up and then froze 3 lbs of ground beef, 3 lbs of chicken (shredded it), 2 lbs of bacon (chopped it) and 2 lbs of pork sausage (crumbled).

Have one more batch of brownies chilling in fridge to cut and flash freeze tonight.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Jaime you did good! I'm impressed with all the cookies you made and froze.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara! It was definitely spread out over several days - but I'm tired just looking at the list now! lol
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  2:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that is fantastic Jaime!
I have been putting together freezer meals to pop in the crockpot during the holiday month. We have company coming and this will make things much easier. Also been doing some in batches for servings of two. Once everyone leaves.I really need to get my baking going too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Haven't posted in a while - things have been BUSY!!!

Did a quadruple batch of cinnamon rolls this past weekend and although most have been handed out I froze a few pans as well!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since anyone has posted about what they are freezing. I freeze in small batches since I only have the freezer in my fridge.

Three pound chub Angus ground chuck on sale this week so I bought one. This morning I used half for a meatloaf and the other for base for chili. Sautéed with onions and chili seasonings. Will freeze the makings for chili until cooler weather. Will also freeze half of the meatloaf in single servings.

FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile
I froze corn this morning. Blueberries are in the freezer too from earlier in the month.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  11:23:44 AM  Show Profile
So far I have froze turnips and peach jam. Normally I would have lots of beans in the freezer but they just didn't produce this year. Next year I go back to planting bush beans.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile
I recently discovered crockpot dump meals to keep in the freezer and I see that levisgrammy was doing that last year. What a great way to preserve the fresh flavors of the garden while also making life easier on some day in the future! I only did a vegetable soup and a spaghetti sauce full of veggies. But since then I’ve come up with many recipes I’d like to prep that way.
Does anyone have good frozen crockpot meal ideas to share? Or tips?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  10:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh I’ve also been freezing eggs. I have 24 hens and we get from 12 to 20 eggs each day! I’ve put more than 50 in the freezer by now for those winter days when hens go on vacation.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile
DH is leaving on his 6-week hunting trip soon and I don't like to cook for just myself, so I have been freezing leftovers. It will keep me from dinners consisting of cookies and potato chips.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  11:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Judith, what is DH hunting, and will it go in your freezer?
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- He hunts deer and hogs and they go in the freezer. About the only meat I buy anymore is chicken and fish. What he brings home lasts us thru the year. Since I've been eating the wild game my bad cholesterol levels have really improved.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  10:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Judith, that is so AWESOME!!!

I feel that the closer we get to the “natural “ way of living, the better our lives are.

I have been putting home-grown pork in the freezer for many years now, and I have acquired sheep to add to that. But I would love to have someone in the family to add some geese (which migrate over our farm) and deer (which roam our acres and even chew up our irrigation hose) to my freezer! To harvest wild animals from the land and sky would be so amazing!!
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  02:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Today I am freezing two big pans of mustard greens I picked out in the garden. I couldn't leave them out to freeze. My chickens kept me company---there is no where I can go around here that I am not with an animal They are so much company and a comfort to me..

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  10:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, thanks for that farm critter side note! You paint such a lovely, country picture of yourself in your garden!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2019 :  9:56:56 PM  Show Profile
I put up two more dinners of vegetable beef soup for the crockpot, finally using up the very last of the season’s fresh green beans. I love the hours spent picking beans, but I’m ready for the break!!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  10:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Two loaves of pear bread. And two and a half cups of cooked winter squash, to make a double batch oh pumpkin bread sometime in the future.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  5:37:08 PM  Show Profile
December is my crazy month, as we gear up at the food closet to prepare 200 Christmas dinners to be distributed to the needy. I’ll have 7 or 8 evenings in the next 2 weeks when I’m not home to cook, so I’ve been making foods for the freezer. Two pounds of taco meat cooked. I’m making broth from 2 whole chickens, and the meat will be going into the freezer for quick somethings.

I’m also cracking and freezing walnuts from our orchards. I’m supposed to be emptying the freezer for a hog and a steer! I’m not doing too well on that!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  10:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara I'm slow getting around to telling you how impressed I am with your planning ahead and freezing dinners. Freezing your home grown walnuts is an extra bonus.

My sister has pecan trees and she takes them to be cracked. I picked out 2 1/2 lbs for her. I like sitting in front of the TV and picking out nuts. Doesn't take much to entertain me these days.

I was given two huge zucchini so today I made stuff zucchini with meatloaf mixture. When done and cooled I will cut them in half and freeze individual halves. Will be enough to share with sisters.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  11:29:36 PM  Show Profile
How very nice it is to have your own pecan trees. Sara are they a pain to crack and pick out? Black walnuts are very hard to crack and pick out the meat.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  02:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Michelle my sister takes the pecans to be cracked by a machine here in town. The last batch I picked out there was only 4 pecans that weren't cracked and I had to crack with my grandmothers cracker. The Texas native pecan is the hardest to pick. Most of my sister's trees have thinner shells but they are not as thin or as large as the papershells.

In the fall I used to buy a large pkg of mixed unshelled nuts and put in a wooden bowl with cracker & picker. Put bowl on table next to my chair and crack a few each night. And you are right the walnuts were hard to crack but good eating. I do miss eating nuts. Now & then I cheat and eat a few but usually pay with a tummy ache.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  10:48:46 AM  Show Profile
We have a big pecan tree in our yard. I used to spend many hours with a hammer and pick and gave away some and froze some. They had very hard shells but tasted good. Every year they would send me to the doctor for back problems from picking up pecans. Neither of us can eat them now but squirrels have arrived in our area so I just let them do the picking now.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2020 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile
This morning I made four hobo suppers with slices of bar-b-que pork loin, carrots, potatoes, and onions to freeze. Should do it more often because it's easy and the frozen suppers come in handy.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you freezing? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page