windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2020 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile
That sounds good Sara. You have lots of great ideas!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2020 :  2:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle. Cooking for one has its challenges. I bought one of those small pork loin which is a lot of meat for me. I used part of it for the 4 hobo suppers and roasted the remaining part in a pint of my hambone broth. It was so tender and made a tasty sauce. Had it for lunch and enough left for lunch tomorrow.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  1:09:28 PM  Show Profile
That sounds yummy, Sara!!! DH doesn't like pork so I don't make it often - sounds SO good!

I've mainly been freezing raw chicken in marinades lately - some in Oven Chicken Fajita marinade, some in my recipe for "Best Chicken Marinade", some in Balsamic Marinade and some in Cilantro Lime.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  02:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Yum that does sound good Jaime.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  12:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Don't know about other Farmgirls, but I always end up with sooooooooo much squash at the end of summer. This year I ended up after a summer of making all our favorite squash recipes, with ten two-cup bags (sealed with a Foodsaver) of grated zucchini and an equal amount of yellow squash. All set for making those delish casseroles and breads all winter. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  1:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Jean it's always handy to have pre-measured ingredients in the freezer. Good job.

Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I have read all of your posts in this thread and am amazed at all the freezing y'all have done! It is so inspiring to me. I have plenty of freezer space with two refrigerator freezer compartments and one big upright freezer. My husband hunts and fishes so we have deer meat, wild turkey and lots of fish. Of course, it will soon be time to put more deer and turkey in the freezer. He is also hoping to go wild hog hunting as well, and we are planning to buy a cow and split it with our daughter. I am excited about all the things I want to freeze from all of the items y'all mentioned.

Jaime, is there a recipe for the Puff Pastry Twists you made? I've never made a pastry so I need a few more details....lol. They sound wonderful! My husband and I are diabetic, but all those cookies sound delicious! When I make something sweet that we can eat, I usually freeze it in individual servings so we are not tempted to eat too much at one time. I usually give half of it away as well.

Krista, your Ranch Chicken Tacos sounds so good that I am making it this week. We love Mexican food, especially tacos. I also like the idea of using the leftover chicken on salads. We eat lots of salads.

Sara, the things you cook and make meals out of for the freezer has given me so many ideas. I want to use double the meat to make extra meals at one time to put the extras in the freezer. It will be much easier to have something ready to cook instead of having to get all the ingredients together. I have no idea why I have not thought about that so Thank You, Thank You!

Denise, I have to admit that I don't use my crock pot as much as I should since my DH bought me an Instant Pot, but I love your idea of fixing meals in servings of two to freeze to cook in both of those pots.

As I said, Ladies, y'all have inspired me! I do have a canner and a dehydrator, but have not used them much so I will be checking out the threads on those soon. BUT freezing, I have down pat - just need to expand what I freeze with all of your items. Thank you so much for participating in this thread!!

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  06:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Joan, welcome to our kitchens and conversations on freezing. You do have freezing down pat. Hope hunting season is good to you and your freezers.

Last week I bought a small rack of lamb; marinated it in cold brewed coffee overnight; cut into chops; roasted in oven; and froze 7 chops. The other two I had for lunch.

Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara! We hope to put some lamb in the freezer as well. Your chops sound yummy. Will have to try the coffee marinade.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2020 :  3:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Peppers were on the chopping block today. I chopped the green peppers, some of the red and yellow pepper and bagged them separately to add to dishes this winter. The rest of the peppers I cut into strips and bagged them for fajitas or other dishes. It is always nice to pull a bag out of the freezer when we have the urge for Mexican or stir fry. I will chop onions and potatoes tomorrow and mix up bags of O'Brian potatoes for the freezer.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2020 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Yep. Me too on the peppers and O'Brian potatoes for the freezer. Also got all my garlic harvest chopped and marinating in olive oil in the fridge. Should last all winter. Usually like to have some braids too. But this year I just planted Mary Jane's garlic and it is all hard neck. So no braids. All done. Will make some apple pies for the freezer today while DH is glued to TV football. Good snowy day activities up here in Big Foot country.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you freezing? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page