katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  12:33:31 PM  Show Profile
So,, have any of you sisters have a DNA test done .. ie: Ancestery.com, 23&me, etc...???

I Had a DNA test done via a company called CRIdny...
When I got the results, I nearly fainted..
They said I was 60% Finnish, 20% German and the remaining 15% was a mix of Italian,Welsh, English & a wee bit of Spain...
and then there is the "lower region that are less than 5% of misc.

So then I decided that either I was switched at birth or CRIdny had grossly error'd..
I made numerous calls & emails to them,, it was like playing Tag with a ghost!! but after 2 'conversations'.. they stood strong on their results!
Since I can not ask my mother due to her stroke,, I decided to have another DNA test.. so I went with Ancestery.com..
Their result was 60% German, 10% Italian, 6% Finnish and the remaining 24% consisted of English, Welsh, Spain & Portugese.

SO I called Ancestry, who were much easier to reach.. and told them both results and they stood their ground that they were correct..
I re-called CRI and told them about Ancestry and again they stood by their results!..
My Uncle (mom's brother) did the DNA with Ancestry.com and had a 80% German, 18% Italian and remaining 2% was English.

My sister said she wanted to do the DNA test, and recently sent in her 'spit' so now we are waiting for the results...
This will be interesting...

I realize that these tests are not regulated, tho' they claim they are 100% accurate,, each test can have varying results,, as they each do not use the 'same' method...I have been doing my homework on researching DNA tests... and turns out I am not alone in having varied results. But can you imagine the damage a DNA test could do if they got a result, like the result I got from the 1st company that said I was predominantly Finnish.. uugh!

So I am wondering, has anyone else done a DNA testing?
And what are your thoughts?

FYI: keep in mind,, in Europe,, West and East, land/borders changed over the Centuries as warring countries took/conqured-or lost land/borders.. Which is why it is not uncommon to have some 'blended' blood, ie: German/English.. Even the English Monarchy has some German blood lines, Queen Victoria married her 2nd cousin who was German... ahh, families.. what a mystery...lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 28 2018 12:41:47 PM

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  12:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace...Yes, I did Ancestry and 23andMe! My husband really researched them and those were the top two. 23andMe being the Top One. Ancestry was extremely
accurate and was exactly what I expected it would show. The only thing that didn't show was my Native American Great Great Grandmother. But she could have
been included in that small percentage of ones they lobbed all together.

The 23andMe...I am still waiting for the results. I did both the Ancestry and the Health Kit. So I am really interested in what they have to share.
I will share when I get those results. But I am very excited about the Results. I found Ancestry to be Spot ON and was happy with what they found
which is exactly what I had found when I researched myself.

Sorry, you haven't found the same satisfaction.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  1:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,
I had actually thought about 23andme.. but like you, I researched (on the internet),, when CRI came up as the best... but later as I did more research,, I too saw that both Ancestry & 23 were both rated as reliable.,, I actually have heard of another company call 'myfamilytree'.. or something like that, that is suppose to be a good source.
That being said,, I am good with the results from Ancestry.. and look forward to my sister's results.
I still think CRI made an error in my results or mixed it with another tester.

Winnie also did her DNA with ancestry and is very pleased with the results.

My daughter also did her DNA & Health kit with 23andMe and is waiting the results.

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 28 2018 2:26:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile
My daughter also did all 3 of her children's DNA.
Since all 3 were adopted,, she thought it would be nice for them to have a wee bit of an idea of their ethnicity.
We look forward to the results... especially since two of the 3 are bi-racial.
It will give them some feeling of connectivity to their general heritage.

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Aug 28 2018 2:30:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I haven't had my DNA tested but I have read up on a few things. Firstly what bothered me is none of the testing will give you what Native American tribe your ancestors belonged to. My mother has Asakiwaki genetics and my father has Comanche. The testing will only tell me I have so much Native American period. This concerns me. The testing from what I learned is very basic. It isn't the tborough testing they lead you to believe. If they can tell you what European country you came from considering Europe is relatively small compared to North America then why can't they be more specific about Native American ancestory

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  7:13:42 PM  Show Profile
On a lighter side, I heard folks that live in Texas that have Mexican Ancestory call themselves Texicans. Neal McCoy the country
artist is of Filipino ancestory calls himself a Texapino. My family of European Ancestory settled in Texas and we are moving there in a few months. Can I call myself a Texapean?

TW

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Nancy... what's that old saying....
"You can call me what you want, just don't forget to call me for dinner!"
Lololol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Nancy@Texapean...
Where abouts in TX are you moving?
my DH's dad and family are all in TX.. tween Athens and up to the boarder of Oklahoma.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  9:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Gracie Grace.
I will be there somewhere in the middlin' of your kinfolks.
We would like to find our forever home somewhere around Tyler. We were there in June and loved it. Loved it so much we brought the heat back with us. Yep So Cal Farmgirls you can blame I mean thank Hubby and I for the hot temps we have been having since June.

TW

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  11:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Nancy... thank goodness that for once... it was not me that jinxed SO CAL with horrid heat! Lololol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  06:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Grace that is so funny about the differing results. A while back I read something abut the Dahm triplets, identical. (one is married to Dr Phils son I think). Apparently they are so identical that their fingerprints are the same. THey took the tests and had different results. Makes you wonder..

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 29 2018 06:03:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Grace, my husband and I both used Ancestry.com. It was spot on to what I had been told and perfect for my 94% Norwegian hubby. What I did not know was the percentage of each area. I wrongly assumed that my father''s lineage of Scotch Irish would dominate but in fact that represents only 22% with more in England than either Scotland or Ireland. Both of my parents had German mothers and apparently, German was a bigger part of the other parts of the family tree at 55%. I think one has to know more about genetics and how that works out with the DNA of each individual. It appears to be more complicated than one would assume based on family stories and the actual DNA of all the ancestors. On my test results, there was about 10% from the Iberian Peninsula which includes Spain Portugal and northern Africa. That was a real surprise but when you think about what was happening in the early Middle Ages, it could all make sense. In my family, nobody has any records going back that far. In my husband's lineage, they have it traced back to the 12th Century which was reflected in the accurate percentage and location of the family tree around the Bergen area of Norway. It is fascinating, I think!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  08:05:23 AM  Show Profile
I would like to take one of those tests. My mother was born in Latvia so and her grandfather was German. My father comes from almost entirely Czechoslovakian stock. One of my great-aunts was researching the family tree and thought she found an African person. I could handle that, yo!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  10:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Grace...that would be so cool to find out about the adopted kids ethnicities. What a blessing this could be for them and your daughter. Also, the
23andMe the Health Kit would be advantageous too for adopted children.

Winnie...I had the surprises of finding out that one of my ancestors is Chinese and another 3rd Cousin is from Africa. I tried contacting them both
but neither one seems to want to correspond back. Maybe because I'm The White Sheep in The Family!!! LOL

Marie...sounds like you and hubby have a rich and interesting background. Let me just say...twice a year (next time right around Christmas) both Ancestry.Com
and 23&Me go on sale for really reasonable prices. I got my 23&Me Test on Amazon Prime Day for 99.00 and it is usually 299.00. The Ancestry I had actually
bought for my Mom but she passed away before she could use it. So when I cleaned out her house I took it and used it. That one had cost me 74.99 which was a
25.OO Savings from Ancestry. After I bought my 23 & Me and turned it in...then they offered me two more kits for 69.99 but they weren't the Double Kit
which included the Health DNA also. So, just keep your eye out for those sales.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile

I did have my DNA done through 23 and Me and did the health portion too. I paid the Livewella membership fee in order to have the raw data crunched and be able to understand my genetic anomalies and get the health reports based on my DNA findings. I am so glad I did. I have so many health syndromes and many things were not adding up. Voila, MTHFR C677T is when you cannot breakdown and utilize folic acid, and you are unable to synthesize Vitamin B's etc. into the useable form, a very important thing in health. It is required by law to add folic acid to cereals, baked goods, breads, etc. Folic acid is very important for women who are pregnant to take and keeps babies from having neural tube disorders and things like Spina Bifida etc. So I found out I have this MTHFR issue. My mom must have had issues with folic acid because I was born with Spina Bifida. This explains why. When you are unable to break down and utilize folic acid, homocystine levels rise and cause all kinds of serious health issues. Back in the day many women did not take pre-natal vitamins. It is important for those with MTHFR anamolies to take the natural form of folic acid, folate and B vitamins that are already converted to a more useable form. So now I take Methyl-Guard Plus from Thorne Research near Sandpoint, Idaho. Natural folate is in many foods so that is good. I now avoid all foods and vitamins with folic acid in them. I am so much better! It is important for me to know about the MTHFR genetic anomaly because arthritis runs in our family and often arthritis meds include the use of methotrexate, something I should not use at all with this particular anomaly. I was adopted on my paternal side so it is great to learn about my heritage too. I went on to do my genealogy with great success. I also learned many other things from my DNA health reports that guide me. But remember just because you have an anomaly doesn't mean you will get a disorder and likewise if you don't have an anomaly doesn't mean you will not get a particular disorder. Always talk with your physician and a genetic counselor if you are concerned about your results. It does take a level of courage and not all people think it should be used. But when you have hidden chronic illness I am grateful for these tests to be accessible and used as a tool. Be well my farmgirl sisters! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  4:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Ha,ha Winnie! My Norwegian lineage is great too. One of my distant relatives is The Right Reverend Ole Irgens and was the appointed bishop of the Diocese of Bjorgvin. He was a priest and a theologian in the Church of Norway from 1779-1803. He died in Bergen, Norway in 1803.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  7:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Annie,, I agree,, what a great guide line for watching ones health and working with a doctor to manages ones health.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  12:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Annie and Grace that is what I am hoping to do when I get my health results back...be able to trace my many health issues and use the information
to help understand how I can best continue giving my body the things it needs for better healthy living. Wish they had these kits when we were
all younger...it could have possibly helped us earlier in life.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  10:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I agree, wish these tests were available 20 ormore years ago.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  09:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Great topic Grace!

I have not had my DNA done though my brother just called and asked me too. I turned him down. I don't know if he got my older brother to do it or not. It would be interesting if the guys both had it done to see just how close their dna is to one another. They are both interested in genealogy and have been working on our for quite some time now. I guess they want to be more sure they are on the right track. I am not into it so much. I take my parents word for where their ancestors came from. I do know they want to find out how much native american is in us. My dad's family was from the Mohawk.
So I will wait and see what comes up with them.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  9:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I have an aunt who has been doing a wonderful job on researching our family linage...and it has been very interesting.

For us gals, We only get our linage via our mothers,, but your brothers will be able to get both your mother's and your father's linage.. Women only have XX chromesomes and guys have XY chromesomes. (Y is the male Chrome & X is the female Chrom).

Learning ones DNA does have it's advantages....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile
My sister and I had it done and I have more Irish in my then she does. I did not find this weird since she takes after my dad and i take after my mom in our looks. She had more DNA from my dad's side and me from my mom's side. I thought it was very interesting to see it in Black and white and found it all very fascinating. I did not know about the heath part of it, I would be interested in doing that part also.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  11:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Bev, My daughter got her results back,, it appears that on her dad's (my hubby) mother has lots of Irish/English & French heritage.. I can hardly wait to see my DH's results in a dew weeks.
My daughter is waiting for the health results.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  1:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it interesting!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I did mine last year and even though I was raised to believe I was from strong German stock, I'm only 8% German! I'm 27% Scandinavian, 20% British, and 17% Greek/Italian (we have NO idea where that came from!) and a mishmash of other European sub-types.

My husband, who is black, just did his and it was fascinating. His DNA originates from mix of western African countries, some of which I haven't even heard of. He's 8% Scandinavian, and 1% American Indian.

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  8:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, crazy, isn't it.... my daughter got her results back and ha a fair amount of French and English in her DNA... we are guessing that is from my hubby' mother's side. There is no French in my DNA.

My daughter used 23andme... where as I used Ancestery dot com as well as CRI... I read that all these companies use different criteria. for their results and it's quite common to get different results... And there is no regulation for these testing companies.
We are doing the gratings partly for fun and to give us a bit of an idea of what/who we are.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic DNA Testing... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page