Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Myself, my son and my hubby all did our DNA through Ancestry and are very happy with our results.We could only go so far on hubby as his dad was adopted as a newborn from an orphanage with no birth poinfo.
My birth Mother died when I was 4, I was placed in a wonderful loving Orphans Home. I was adopted when I was a teenager. I was raised in St. Louis Missouri. In 2007 I was told who my birth dad was, All I had was a name but never knowing if it was really him. So, long story short a year ago I was finally ready to do my DNA and find Me! Who was I, where do I come from. And do I have family out there?
What I found was this; I am 67% English, 30% Ireand and Scotlan, 2% Norway, and 1%
Cameroon, Congo and Southetn Bantu Peoples. Is that not so interesting? I am so excited to know where my ancestors came from. I also did confirm who my father was sadly he died 39 years ago. He seems to have been kind of wild as a young man as I have 1 half sister and four half brothers plus myself with 4 different women. Wow Dad! He did marry my 3 brothers omom and she is still alive. I am one of the people Who did not iget her happy ending finding her family. I have talked o my sister a couple of times and she really does not want or need a sister she has 3. 3 of the brothers want nothing to do with me and are finding it difficult to except their Dad got 4 different women pregnant. I get that and understand. They knew about my sister but not me or the other brother we have. The fourth brother I am hesitant to contact as he may not want to meet me either, the others have not contacted them.
So, I of course was heartbroken and sad that they did not want to meet me or their nephew. So, I decided to step back and leave them alone and try to understand how difficult this must be for them as well. I send my sister cards for special occasions to remind her I am still here should she ever need me and wants to meet me. And one day I will call my fourth brother to let him know he has another family out there waiting for him and wanting to meet him.
I had a lot of information on my momma but was able to find great grandparents and some cousins on Ancestry so I am excited,
So, I did get the information I wanted and needed from ancetry by doing my DNA, just did not totally get my happy ending.
But, Farmgirl Sisters I have a Sister and four brothers that live in Missouri, how exciting! And I know my heritage, and best of all I know for sure who my
Mom and Dad are!!!!!
Thank you for letting me share.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”
Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Feb 01 2019 10:14:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  11:00:45 AM  Show Profile
hey Debbie,,,
I just read an article on the internet about 2 sisters who turned out to have different dad'a and a 'brother' from their dads 'meandering days' plus as it turned out the 2 sisters have the same mom bit different dads, as mom had a 'meandering moment'...
I t created a lot of hurt feelings and confusion to the family dynamics.. as the parents were no longer alive to talk to and sort out all the DNA info...

I totally get it, as kids we want to have the iconic "Ozzi & Harriet Nelsen" family...

Debbie, like you, I recently discovered I too was put into a "Home for Children" because my mom was unmarried and not able to provide for me... which explained why there were no baby photos of me except 3, which were taken at the "Home" of mom and me, and 1 of my 'Dad' and I. I was about 8 or 9 months old at the time the 3 photos were taken...
I am still digging and researching.. .I may not like what I find,, but, at least I will have a better understanding of myself.
It will clear up so many things for me.
No matter what the out come, I still love my parents and that fact will never change.

Debbie, someday, hopefully you will get to meet up with your last brother and it will turn out to be a good relationship.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just for her results from 23 & Me, and they were shocking. I'm going to use them to do my DNA and see if we line up. My husband's family is either completely unknowing of their heritage or my ancesters traveled a lot and didn't tell what they were up to.There are nationalities we weren't aware of and plenty of them. Some nationalities line up but 17% German was not expected at all. I am Irish, English, Hawaiian and Portuguese. That was there in my daughter's results but all the other stuff unknown to hubby is amazing.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia... imagine my surprise to find 7% Italian... or as we say, 'someone snuck out of the Castle to cross the Mott'
Lolololol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic DNA Testing... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page