windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2018 :  03:36:38 AM  Show Profile
It is that time of year, and the first frost is being called for Friday night/Saturday morning for northern Wi. Got some herbs yet to pick, and a few peppers but otherwise everything else is done. Canned carrots yesterday, along with freezeing some pumpkin. Will shred some zucchini today, and pick the rest of the squash. maybe do a few more batches of apple cider. Wood cutting on Friday. That uses up the last of my vacation time.
Happy Harvest Everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2018 :  06:09:30 AM  Show Profile
Michele your vacation was busy with garden, canning, and freezing - I know you enjoyed it all. Don't know about cutting wood - that sounds like a lot of hard work to me.

First frost here in northeast Texas is Nov 18 but I have already started putting my garden to bed - one container or little flower bed at a time.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2018 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile
We are due here night weather to be in the mid/high 30's... I guess I will have to 'green pick ' my remaining tomatoes and Chili peppers..oh sigh, yep, Autumn is upon us over here in the Inland NW.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2018 :  06:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Getting things in before frost is a lot of work for me. I have so many house plants outside. I will be glad when it quits raining long enough here in West Virginia to frost. After days and days of rain we are finally going to get a few days of sun. The house porches have all turned green and the garden is soaked and ugly. What a nasty mess---before it quit raining last night it just had to flood our driveway and rut it out---more work to fix it. Your vacations sound like mine---work and more work. But it is all fun in its own way as I love to stay home and take care of things. Happy fall days to you and your family.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2018 :  12:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I have to say, I AM JEALOUS!!!!! LOL!!! We can't seem to get out of 90+ daytime highs with 100s in heat index every single day for the next 10 days at least. While I know that frost brings in the real changes to gardens and crops, it sounds like you have been keeping ahead of the game with your farm wrap-up in true Farmgirl style! Mmmmmmmm, batches of fresh apple cider to enjoy hot while you sit on the porch and enjoy the cooler weather. Fresh apple cider is one of my favorite treats, and paired with some pumpkin bread, hot from the oven, with your already prepared garden pumpkin meat, is sure to add some happiness to Fall's arrival!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  03:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Saurday morning, 5:18 28.3 right now. It will drop to 27 yet before sunrise. Sara, wood cutting is alot of hard work, but we clean up the dead trees, and warms you twice. (once cutting and once burning it haha) Barbara, I do like staying home for vacations, always lots to do, and better then heading in to work. Winnie, fresh cider is so good, we are spoiled by all the good stuff we grow. We have been enjoying the cool weather, been nice. Will be doing apple pressing this morning, and finish that up. then we will keep plugging away at wood cutting. Made apple bars yesterday, with sweet 16 apples. boy that is so good. Hopefully we will sneak in a motorcycle ride sometime this weekend. Enjoying the goodness of fall, with activities and food!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so jealous too! Our temps sound just like Winnie's.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2018 :  05:00:23 AM  Show Profile
7.5 gallons of cider from the second pressing on saturday. Then we headed out for a cold ride. 44 degrees, and 100 miles later we were cold. Made up a quick pot of chicken soup, from canned stock, warmed us up. Today brings more wood cutting. got to try to make a pie for apple pie sunday. Got apples picked, but will see how far i get.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2018 :  08:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Great job Michele on getting all of that done on your vacation days! You are one amazing farmer! Glad you enjoyed your chilly motorcycle trip. I'm sure pressing apples and chopping wood warmed you right up!

Dawn in IL

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. So I have spent almost all the daylight hours in the open air." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2018 :  4:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, We've already experienced our first frost here on the high desert as well. I too, have cleaned out my garden, picked all my remaining veggies and wrapped my remaining green tomatoes in newspaper waiting for them to ripen. After a beautiful summer, I'm finally ready for the cooler temps, my husband is currently teaching my youngest to mow the grass as we speak, which may be one of our last mowings until Spring. Enjoy the cooler temps and the beauty in which Autumn brings to us! Happy Fall!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  03:42:35 AM  Show Profile
April, i hope to finish up cleaning my pumpkin vines out sometime this week. Thanks Dawn, always nice when it is all done. trees are turning, Enjoy fall!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  04:10:31 AM  Show Profile
How about some pictures of your beautiful farm up there in NW Wisconsin Michele?

Dawn in IL

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. So I have spent almost all the daylight hours in the open air." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2018 :  10:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Where I live, we are still in the 90s and rarely ever see frost, and I love that! Even tho we don’t have any need to “put the garden to bed”, in the Fall I get “antsy.” When school starts, I have to buy a new notebook and pens. Inside, I pretend it is winter and I make fall type soups..butternut squash soup this week with cinnimon and nutmeg. My hubby makes chili and we feel all cozy in our home ( while it is 92 degrees out.) I make my own fall. It’s fun and then the next day we go to the beach.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic first freeze is coming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page