HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  09:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering who loves daylight savings time and who hates it? I LOVE it! It's nice to get inside early and be done with outdoor work. Time to relax and read and work on extras. I especially love the early evenings right before Christmas. So cozy and such a special time with the Christmas lights on as I go about my evening chores outside. How do you ladies feel. Love---hate---or don't give a hoot?

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
I like DLST this time of year because it's the "real" time. Not a fan when we spring forward in the spring - to me that's not the "real" time.

I like it when it starts getting dark around 6pm and I'm in my granny grown all cozy and warm. My books around me, Annie in my lap or asleep at my feet, a glass of Merlot, and a good mystery on TV. That's a perfect evening for me.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile
I don't like when it first changes to being dark early. My cows don't like it either. They're still mooing because they think I'm late to milking. By next week it won't matter anymore. There's always work to be done on the farm no matter what time it is or how light or dark it is. (Or warm or cold LOL) Just an adjustment really - not really a love or hate thing for me.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  1:15:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a fan of it. It really messes with my kids and their sleeping schedules. It takes some time to get them switched around. It's just a pain for the littles because they don't understand.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  1:26:57 PM  Show Profile
I agree it is a pain. I wish they would do away with it. In March I often have to go close my animals in the snow at eight o'clock. It is not natural. And I don't like having to close my chickens at nine-thirty at night in the summer. my husband always says it is just so people can play golf longer---not for farm people. It truly does upset your routine for a little while. And bless your dear sweet children Krista.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I would personally prefer to just stay on regular time because the changes always seem to come at inconvenient times. It was originally started in WWI and I think it is time to revisit how essential it is anymore!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Love the old poster image Winnie! I did not realize that it was started that early. I am going to google it and read about it. Your posts are always informative or encouraging. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile
I Love, Love, Love Daylight Savings Time. I hate when it ends and it gets dark so early.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  6:15:26 PM  Show Profile
So this is how I feel about it.
Haha!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  12:46:37 AM  Show Profile
DLST was adopted by each state at different times and I know of one state Arizona that never did. Can't remember when Texas did but I was grown so must have been in 1960s-70s. BTW - love the poster and cartoon.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  02:53:33 AM  Show Profile
In California they just voted in with prop. 7 to keep permaneby DST. I voted against it. When I was in HS they put us on year round DST. My friends and I had to walk 2 miles in the dark at 7:30 in the morning. It only lasted a short time due to parents complaining .
The guy who got it on our voting list probably wasn't born yet at that time. I don't think this one will last either.

I read up on the history. Farmers have been blamed for the start since it began but this isn't correct. Farmers work by the sun and not a clock. It was created to save electricity for city dwellers back just before the Roaring 20s.

Me personally I do not like the adjustment to my sleep schedule but I rather have the hassle and keep DST.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  07:11:31 AM  Show Profile
I HATE it, takes my body a couple week to figure out not to get up at 3:00 in the morning!!! I am an early riser as it is and this does not help.

Rae

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I feel the same way Winnie and Dianna! The only part I don't like is when it is dark at 4:30 in the afternoon. I am more like a chicken ready to go to bed when the sunsets! LOL! It is okay in the morning but I'd rather it be dark later in the morning than early in the evening.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile
I just re-read my post---it sounds like I love DST but I hate it and I love these early dark winter evenings. A lovely time of rest for me as I am usually outside working until dark and trying to cook supper in between chores---a time of messes. hard work and chaos for me as it is impossible for two people to do all that needs done here. My husband loves it to---he gets to work out while I cook supper and then we have the evening to do things we want. All the animals go to bed early and that is good---still pesky cats going in and out all night. But so peaceful. We are a busy household for sure. But ladies---by March I am so sick of winter that I will be ready to do it all over again. Just not anxious for spring at the moment---LOL.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  11:44:42 AM  Show Profile
I agree Winnie. I think it's time to revisit this idea and see how much we really need it. I love the photos by the way!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile
In the Northwest, we Love Daylight Savings Time. We wish they would leave it that way all year round! Why go off of it?????
It is depressing to be dusk at 4:00 pm and pitch black by 5:00. And it always messes with our sleep patterns. I am going to
bed later and getting up at the same time and I feel sooooooooooooooooooooooo Tired! It takes my body a while to acclimate.

In Eastern Washington it gets darker about 50-45 minutes sooner than we do on the other side of the State.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  1:31:15 PM  Show Profile
I love DST. Winnie, I love your vintage poster. I am just not sure how Daylight Savings Time helped us win the war. That is so funny to me.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  2:37:05 PM  Show Profile
I love DST too! My son has to catch the bus at 6:15 a.m. and it was very dark out there. I feel much better being able to see him get on the bus now. I also am able to head out the door early for my morning walk now that we get that extra hour.

Dawn in IL

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. So I have spent almost all the daylight hours in the open air." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Daylight Savings Time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page