Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2019 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls, my daughter is working on recovery from Lyme disease, so we are changing up our diet! Clearly a more whole foods approach and cooking from scratch is in order. We already do a fair bit of this, but it is an effort to switch away from some of our old stand-bys that don't fit the parameter. I'm sure some of you already cook this way, so looking for some of your favorite ideas - thanks so much!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #6578

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2019 :  10:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Diana I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I watch the amount of sugar, dairy, and gluten I eat but can have a little of all.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2019 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara :) beef stew tonight & I picked up gluten free flour to make biscuits! We have been using quinoa & mixing in black beans, corn, red pepper and something green for a colorful dish & sometimes add chicken or whatever might be left over. We even tried a recipe for "brownies" made with black beans in the crock pot! Someone told us about Lilly's chocolates, ordered on Amazon for a sugar free treat. A bit of an adjustment, but we will get there!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #6578
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2019 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile
You can use things like cauliflower, spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes in place of flour for things like pizza crust. Stevia instead of sugar, you will have to test it for amounts which in most recipes are half the amount of sugar but I find that there is a after taste and less is better. I've heard that goat's milk is milder than cow's milk but a lot of people are going to coconut milk. Good luck.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2019 :  8:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas Nora! We have been using stevia, and we do eat cauliflower, spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes, but we haven't tried using them that way! They do say goat milk digests easier AND we have goats (no one is bred yet tho, fingers crossed for the next opportunity!). Looking forward to trying new things!

Diana
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  03:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Middle Eastern food is quite often gluten, dairy, and sugar free. You can find recipes that meet these requirements in any middle eastern cookbook. Also, Chris Kimball's "Milk Street" magazines and cookbooks are full of excellent ones. Best of luck to your daughter and praying she has a speedy recovery.

Dawn in IL

In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity. ~John Burroughs, "The Snow-Walkers," 1866
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sugar, dairy, and gluten free Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page