MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2019 :  3:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Who's ready to get started on the new 2019 Merit badges? There are 2 new and very exciting ones this year! The new ones are...

-Each Other: Differing Abilities
-Make It Easy: Leatherworking

Say what!! Leatherworking sounds like so much fun! I'm super excited to give this one a try. Can you imagine all the beautiful things you can create with leather. Definitely adding this one to my list.

The Differing Abilities badge is the perfect way to research and learn about how we as a community can be accommodating to those with disabilities as well as aware of what they are experiencing.

Which badge sticks out to you? Which one do you plan to work on? Or do you plan to complete both?

Krista

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2019 :  9:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I took shop class in high school back in medival times before cellphones and the internet. One of the study courses was leather working. I loved it. I may have to dust off my tools and get busy.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I remember my leather-making class as well! I loved the smell and the beautiful belt I made! Sounds like a great one Krista!

I'm all for working to meet the needs of others in our community as well. Looking forward to researching and achieving badges this year!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I think I still have the belt I made but I am pretty sure it can't make it around my waist these fluffy days

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, you make me giggle! I would love to see your belt. Dianna, I would love to see yours as well! I bet that was such a fun class in school. One of my husband's friends makes leather wallets and they are amazing! I'm always so in awe of the talent he has. It's definitely something I would like to learn.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

aidanm
Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  4:32:39 PM  Show Profile
I love the differing abilities badge. It is great because you actually need to make a change in your home/community to help someone. I'm excited for leather working as well. These badges really push me to try things I would have never thought to try before.

California Country Girl transplant from Ohio - Bibliophile & Blogger - farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com
Sister #7664
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  5:44:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree Aidan! They break me out of my comfort zone and help me learn new skills I would have considered trying. I didn't know much about crochet before I joined. And now I can't stop. It's my new addiction! Without the Farm I wouldn't have ever tried. These Merit Badges are so wonderful.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile
I am working on the recycle badge and the Go Green one. The problem is that I started making changes based on information I was reading and then looked up the two badge requirements. I have this sort of combo going on that is neither purely one or the other. Trying to figure out how to blend them together or make one's requirements meet the others. Figures, I would get myself in this conumdrum!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  8:05:49 PM  Show Profile
I am all in on the leatherworking badge. It sounds fun. I made a wallet when I was in 9th grade in school. I did a pretty good job on it. What a great way to make something that will last for years to come.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2019 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Lori, that is so cool! Do you still have the wallet? I still want to give the Leatherworking Badge a try! Hopefully soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2019 :  12:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Krist, I never thought about doing a badge in leather. That would be fun. I no longer have the wallet. I had it for 41 years though. Lol. I am open to trying new things and can't wait to see where each day takes me. I am working on three of my badges now.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I agree. It's so fun seeing all the new exciting badges that come out! They all look so fun. Which 3 badges are you working on?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

margie38572
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Margaret
Crossville TN
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  10:27:48 PM  Show Profile
The badge Differing Abilities caught my eye because I work with individuals who have disabilities. I'll have to read the requirements for this badge. Leatherworking sounds good to me, too. Margie #7915

Margie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  12:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Margie, the Differing Abilities Badge will be perfect for you! Here is the direct link to that badge so you can check out the requirements. http://www.farmgirlsisterhood.org/badges-eo-differing-abilities.asp Keep us posted on how your badge progress goes!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic New 2019 Merit Badges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page