chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the Ruth Stout Method of gardening?
sandy

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  5:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Sandy I haven't thought about her in years. I used to have her book and really liked it. I guess I still use some of her ideas without thinking about where I got them. Think I'll see if I can find her book on Amazon.

A little trivial about Ruth Stout. Her brother was Rex Stout who wrote the Nero Wolfe mystery series.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  6:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I never heard of the Ruth Stout method of gardening. I am a huge fan of Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe books. Thanks for that little bit of trivia Sara!

Dawn in IL

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  8:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I have covered my entire garden in layers of hay, ala Ruth Stout.. To help cultivate the weeds...LOL. My raised beds were started on a gravel drive and do not have quite the depth they need. I've added compost; horse manure etc, and the soil that I do have is quite good, but I am trying the hay to add some depth to the overall garden that can support the weight of a giant sunflower, which have crashed in the past. And the garden just needs a few inches at least.
I am also excited about a soil conditioner called Happy Frog that a gal I was doing an appraisal for told me about. It is comprised largely of bat guano and worm casings. This gal said that she could not believe the growth and harvest of both her floral and vegetable garden. I had to order in from my local feed store, and the bags (think a mulch sized bag) weigh a TON! I am excited to work this into my soil as well.
I will keep you posted on my latest weed growing venture. Because that's what I seem to grow best >LOL!!
Hey Sara; I got Ruth's book on Amazon, but it was from a second hand seller

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 19 2019 8:08:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 16 2019 :  7:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Nubidane,Lisa,
I'm interested in your post. Have you started yet? How's it going?

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - May 17 2019 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vicki! Still a work in progress.
I have added the hay to the whole garden, and since hay has seed, I have some growth (grass??) coming up. But it is very easy to pull up, and the soil underneath is gorgeous. Black gold with worms galore. The reason to use hay instead of straw is that it decomposes more efficiently, and the theory is that after time, the hay will squelch the weeds. I have seen this firsthand, since down by our chicken run, we put hay bales in some of the low areas, and they have decomposed to some of the most fertile looking soil.
I have not planted anything other than cole crops, which are doing well, but once I plant tomatoes, peppers, cukes etc, I will work in some of the Happy Frog. I just wish I could stay on top of the weeds, but they are so established. Arghhh!
Here is one of the videos I found on youtube of Ruth Stout. She has since passed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FAm5zuJd8
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ruth Stout Method Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page