Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  9:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters,
I am looking at the Garden Gate badges and feeling like they are almost unattainable for me. Firstly I live in a tiny apartment (700 sq ft) with no yard. Secondly I have a brown thumb I've had a horrible time keeping any plant, even succulents alive. I know you are all great brainstormers though maybe one of you all can think of a way for me to earn these badges/not kill every plant I take home?Thanks ladies!

California Country Girl transplant from Ohio - Bibliophile & Blogger - farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com
Sister #7664

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  12:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Aidan I find that watering and sunlight are the two biggies when it comes growing plants inside. How much sunlight you have will determine what you can grow. If you have a good source of sunlight than an herb like rosemary or basil would be a good place to start. Rosemary is a forgiving plant that doesn't require a lot of care. Basil takes more water.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2019 :  11:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Aidan. I can't keep succulents alive either. To me they are not easy at all. I bought about ten of them and have killed all but two. Pothos or devil's ivy as it is called is so easy. Also philodendron and Swedish ivy and wandering jew. These are very hard to kill and anyone should be able to grow them. I also find jade plants extremely easy.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2019 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile
I love growing mint. If you have a window with some sunshine mint should grow and flourish. I use it in salad and dry it to make hot tea. I also love the taste of mint in water. It makes it taste refreshing. I know how hard it is to grow something in a small apartment. I also have lived in a small apartment without a yard. Do you have a balcony of any kind?

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Aidan, which Garden Gate badge are you wanting to work on? I can see some that you can do without actually growing anything! That should be helpful lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Brown Thumb Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page