New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Music Badge Next Topic  

rm.banwell
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2019 :  1:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Intermediate Level Research one classical composer and one musician from the last 100 years.
I choose Aaron Copland and Peter, Paul and Mary. Aaron Copland was one of the centuries foremost composer with highly influential music that had a blend of classical, folk and jazz. He wanted to compose songs with sounds that would be seen as “American” One of his pieces “Appalachian Spring” is a story about a bride and her husband setting up house in the wilderness. Copland wrote the music score for full orchestra and used dancers and singers in his music. He wanted to portray the “Simple Gifts” or simple life.
In contrast, Peter, Paul and Mary sang their songs with guitar. Their main theme was racial equality. They wanted to inspire the nation to unite in song and spirit. The music of Copland and Peter, Paul and Mary both wanted to express, through music, something about America. Copland’s idea was creating a peaceful and simple life style of the pioneers or the noisy traffic in the big cities. Whereas, Peter, Paul and Mary wanted to bring people together to sing songs about liberty and justice for all.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2019 :  1:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing this information! I haven't heard of either of them before. I do love the idea of inspiring others through music and song. It makes for such beautiful music. Thank you for stopping by. Good luck with your music badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2019 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Some time ago there was a PBS special on Peter, Paul, and Mary. I'd always admired them, but more so after learning more. And Aaron Copland. Thank you for reminding us of their important work.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2019 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information. Very interesting. I have heard Peter, Paul, and Mary but have never heard of Aaron Copland. I will have to look up some of his work.

Farmgirl 7774
Never miss a sunset

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  9:54:08 PM  Show Profile
yes,, I too appreciate your sharing with us about Aaron Copland...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Music Badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page