Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  06:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

While surfing on Facebook, I saw a post a local radio station had reposted from a reporter somewhere with the “optimum” temperatures air conditioning should be at to save energy.

They are: 78 degrees when you are home, 85 degrees when at work or away, and 82 when sleeping.

All I can say is NO! First off, yes, you will save on electricity because basically the a/c wouldn’t run. Second: this is HAZARDOUS to mens’ health - especially if their wives are menopausal!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile
Lol, Nicole, for real! But especially when you live in an area where there you can slice the humidity with a knife its so heavy! My poor dog would surely have a stroke. I can tolerate the 80 but only with a fan. 76 is our go to and 78 plus a fan when gone.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, I hear ya! Connecticut gets just as nasty humid as my Home State of Texas! I don’t have central air, but I have “window wall” units. I am sweet as pie to my dh unless he tries to touch the air! I tell him he can put on pajamas or a sweater - I can only strip so far! And my dogs and cats would be heat sick, as well. Good point.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile
82 at night?? No way could I sleep in that! We both like a cool bedroom, so where 76 is my top comfort temp during the day I want it under 65 or under at night. We don't have central air but have window units in Kitchen/living area, sewing room, and bedroom so we can just cool whatever place we're in. We just had a lovely three days without having to turn it on but it is warming up again.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  08:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, you are funny cute!

Those temps are ridiculous. I set our ac at 78 at night and set it lower during the day when I am at home.

Setting temps too high isn't saving energy as it takes more effort to cool a house down then to keep it at an even comfortable temp.

Hubby proved this to me years ago. Our electric bill was close to 300 dollars one summer. I thought I was saving money by adjusting the temp. Hubby said to set it around 74-76 and leave it. The electric bill was half less. The first month was July the second month was August.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends.
Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
We keep ours at 76 degrees 24/7. We can sleep comfortably in this temp and it is good during the day too. Until we get some cooler temps that is where it is staying. We do have a window ac in our office but that is because we don't have any duct work in our family room or JT's office.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  1:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, that is simply crazy! The one that's getting me is the night time one! How can anyone sleep with temperatures that high? For optimal sleeping it needs to be between 60 and 67. People who are sleeping in 82 degree temperatures aren't getting optimal sleep. So that probably doesn't help anyone who is menopausal! Sleep is so important. We keep our house between 72 and 73 during the day and it feels comfortable to us.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  3:52:14 PM  Show Profile
LOL!! I had to giggle at the "dangerous for mens health" comment!! My hubs likes the air at 65 degrees during our summer months... my boys and I are usually wrapped up in throw blankets when we're lounging and watching tv downstairs... we have to freeze ourselves out downstairs to keep our upstairs somewhat comfortable at night. Crazy!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  7:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Nicole,, Tru Dat! (menopausal)...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saw this on FB - too hot! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page