Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  07:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

So on August 1st, my area banned all plastic bags, like the ones from stores like Walmart, CVS, and grocery stores. If you want a bag, some stores provide paper, others plastic but at ten cents a bag.

I am amazed at the buzz. So many people are upset about this. I don’t get it. They are soooo bad for the environment. I have always preferred paper bags anyhow for groceries, and they are great to store and re-use, as well as recycle.

At restaurants, I get it. Plastic is nice to take your leftovers with you, but we can get around that, too. People survived and thrived for years without plastic bags. I use them for kitty litter, but I can get around that, too.

I wish they banned plastic bottles, too. Glass was what we had when I was a kid (pass my rocker and cane, lol). I think if you have an occasional soda, it tastes better in glass anyhow!

Your thoughts?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  07:34:26 AM  Show Profile
You are quite fortunate to live in a place that actually CARES about the environment Nicole!!! I wish it were so here in Alabama. I see plastic bags EVERYWHERE, on the roadsides, in trees, filled and tied thrown out in parking lots!! It's HORRID! I have my own recycled bags to use when I go into any store but there are so many people who just don't care and like you I don't get it!!! I can for the life of me understand the mentality of those who chose environmentally unsafe products!!! I am proud for your town, people will always complain about anything but at LEAST your own the right track there! Next, styrofoam!!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Plastic bags here banned here a couple of years ago but we had been using canvas bags for years so it didn't bother us and the roadsides are a lot cleaner. My sister lives in Berkeley where they banned plastic straws which they should do everywhere; paper straws used to work just fine. I agree about plastic bottles, especially all the water bottles. Don't people realize that most if not all the tap water in this country is perfectly safe to drink?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  1:26:58 PM  Show Profile
It is just like using seat belts; if it's a law, people will eventually get on board. If there is a monetary charge for plastic bags folks will bring their own.
I have to confess I feel smug when I pack all my groceries in my own bags! See my post on Nifty Thrifty.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, that is so awesome your area does that. We don't have anything like that here. It will be interesting to see how long until our community moves away from plastic bags. It would be a nice thing for all of us. Our world would be much better off that way. Especially since those plastic bags can't be recycled. And I agree with you on glass bottles. I enjoy them better than plastic!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  4:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Judith, I hear ya on the bottled water. My dentist said a friend of hers had thyroid issues and teeth issues, and they think it was her bottled water. She says the PH is off on bottled water. I think my well water tastes better!

We stopped at an organic farm the other day that has the best sandwiches, and fresh food! They pack everything in compostable containers. No need for Styrofoam. And I adore paper straws - so retro!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  5:49:41 PM  Show Profile
I wish they would do it here. I hate those bags. I'd much rather use my own or paper.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 21 2019 5:50:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  06:17:22 AM  Show Profile
We are moving to the same ban come January 1 here in Florida. I have been using reusable bags for years and this past Spring, I made some small bags to put my produce in. It takes some planning to get rid of bags but so worthwhile! I too wish we could get rid of water bottles. There are so many horror stories of plastic filling up our oceans and we must do something now to change the influx while we clean up all of our waterways and oceans.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  10:31:24 AM  Show Profile
I am so for plastic bag bans. And I especially hate little plastic water bottles---they should be banned too. Most of the water is just filtered tap water and you can put a filter on your faucet at home. I carry my own water in a reusable bottle. The oceans are full of plastic and its piling up in dumps. I think the earth will be consumed by our plastic use and that we are destroying ourselves with it. And from what I remember not very many people wanted to drink water until it was stylish to walk around with a bottle. Modern life doesn't make much sense to me and that is why I am glad that I live in a holler and live a simple old fashioned life. Anyway---A BIB BOO to plastic bags and bottles.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love reusable bags, and I have LOTS. My problem is remembering to have them when I need them. Either I forget to put them back in the car or I forget to take them into the store with me. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile
I always take my own glass water bottle when going out. I hate buying water from anywhere. I will buy distilled if I have to buy it for any reason. But I have my own reusable gallon jugs at home. I wish they would go back to glass or cartons for all the milk too. I remember when we used to have a milkman and he brought it in glass jugs in half gallons for our family. The Amish market here sells it in glass jugs and they give you credit per jug if you bring them back to be sterilized and reused.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2682 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2682 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  3:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Bend, Oregon has banned all plastic bags and requires purchase of paper if you want one... Redmond has yet to follow, but I'm prepared for the change when it happens and carry a reusable bag(s) in my car at all times... I still forgot it at times, but the habit is already forming!! Cheers to more plastic bans across our nation!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
On our Beginners Sewing group page it is one of the first projects suggested as they are useful and can be gifted to friends and family!

Farmgirl#7588 Fishgirl Farm Chapter member.
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Yep, California banned plastic bags about 3 1/2 years ago.. thank goodness...
I much prefer my tote bags,,, and don't have to worry about heavy items tearing through the bag and breaking on the pavement...

In Spokane all trash is incinerated to produce power,,, but I cringe when I see a plastic bag or bottle (or any trash) on the side of the road...

I know there are groups that collect the plastic bags, cut them in strips and crochet them to make sleep mats for the homeless.... I think it takes about 1000 bags per matt.... but at least those bags don't end up in the Ocean or in the tummies of marine life.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  11:23:17 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have milk and things back in glass, too!

We have had a huge recycling program town wide for years. It is not hard to do once you get used to it.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  08:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, the little town next to us had the recycle bins, paper, glass, aluminum and even green/garden waste...
The town leaders stopped and removed the bins because there were to many 'idiots ' who were using the bin as their personal trash cans (so they didn't have to pay for trash service)... it created so many problems that the City Council cancelled the recycle service... and the kicked was, those bins were right along the City property and the 'idiots' were still brazin to dump their garbage in the recycle bins!! Uugh!

I fully support recycling and as a a 'Village ' I think we can be successful ..it's the 'idiot's ' who ruin/sabotage our efforts!

But let's not give up.... remember...
The 3-R 's
Reuse
Repurpose
Recycle

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  10:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Sad. Another case of a few ruining it for all. I wish people would look at the big picture and imagine a world covered with garbage. Maybe then they might understand what recycling is all about.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Not to mention what it is doing, the harm it is causing to the innocent creatures on our planet.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Plastic bag ban Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page