Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls~ Today is August 26th and I wanted to remind everyone that come September 1, we still start celebrating our Fifth Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival!! For those of you who are new here to our Chatroom community, we started this tradition in 2014 to kick off and celebrate Fall.

I will be sponsoring an Apple Swap so please sigh up if you are interested.

I will also be sponsoring an Apple Giveaway so please sign up if you are interested.

Don't forget, we have an Apple Badge that you can work on this next month as well. It includes lots of fun activities to get you learning and enjoying this beloved and favorite fruit.

The past two years, we have been sharing information about lots of varieties of apples from our various regions of the US and Canada. We also share lots of yummy recipes, tidbits and photos of our areas and families. The fun part of learning more about apples is that you learn more about our American history. Apples that could be eaten, cooked and preserved came from Europe by early settlers and and fur traders. The only original apples here in America were astringent crab apples that even the Indians could not find useful.

The real origin of apples comes from the Tian Shan mountains of Kazakhstan in the temperate western foothills. The Silk Road that went from Rome to Xi'an in China , was the route traveled for trading purposes to acquire things like spices. Apples were discovered by both the horses and the traders making the journey and were brought back to Rome where they became very popular. The Romans then spread them to Europe where they flourished as well.

Apples don't really grow well from seeds. To create trees of eatible apples, they must be grafted. In the early 1700s, the American colonists learned this skill and began to establish nurseries of grafted trees. The Apple Revolution began and soon people were all planting apple trees on their farms as a basic food source to make cider and fruit that could be eaten, cooked, preserved and stored for long winter months.

Thomas Jefferson planted large groves of apple trees at Monticello and concentrated on both eating and cider making varieties. The Newtown Pippin was one of the most popular variety from his orchards.

The legendary Johnny Appleseed, was really a man by the name of John Chapman who was an itinerant minister. He preached to small crowds as well as set up seedling nurseries throughout the Ohio Valley and the Midwest from the 1790s-1830s. Apples were a way of life!!

There is so much more about apples so please share here what you know and have experienced.

One more important note: Sunday September 29 will be our traditional Apple Pie Sunday Celebration!! Mark your calendars and think about what sort of apple pie recipe you would like to make this year. Be sure to share with us your ideas and tried and true apple pie favoites!

I look forward to enjoying lots of stories, recipes, and experiences with apples. If you grow them, please let us know what varieties you have. If you just love to eat apples and cook with them, let us know about your favorites.

Welcome everyone and I hope you will join us during the next month and share your thoughts, ideas, and stories. Don't forget the Apple Badge is an easy way to learn more about one of America's favorite fruit.!!

Recently, I was in Asheville, NC visiting my daughter and we found a family owned apple orchard close by in Hendersonville. Their early apples, Gala and Ginger Gold were ripe and ready to pick from the trees. We went out and I brought home two big bags full.

This past Saturday, I made Apple Butter for the first time and some larger jars of chunky Apple sauce. It sure made for a hot 5 hours in my Florida kitchen, the end products were delicious.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  2:57:06 PM  Show Profile
I really love when the Apple Festival rolls around. I have already been saving some apple recipes to try this month. Plus I'm excited to make my apple crisp again this year for apple pie Sunday! Winnie you for such an amazing getting this all set up and going each year!

Those jars of apple butter and apple sauce look delicious! I can smell your kitchen right now. I just may have yo make some apple crisp this week!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  3:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,
This is awesome. Thanks for all the apple information. Looking through recipes. I have found some good ones from my mom written out in her handwriting. Treasures now and something to pass down.
I haven't decided what I will make for Our Sunday, it may be my father's apple cake recipe.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  4:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Winnie I have been working on my Apple Festival decorations. I made a wool applique table mat with apples that's been on my kitchen table for weeks. Have two pieces of fabric - one with green apples - the other red - now to decide what do to with it.

Today I started looking at apple pie recipes for Apple Pie Sunday.

Thanks for hosting all our Apple Festival activities.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 26 2019 4:41:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  06:20:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Krista, Denise, and Sara to our upcoming Apple Festival fun! Back in 2014 when I was FGOTY, I asked MaryJane if we could do an apple festival. I have been learning and studying about apples for many years now and I find them all so interesting. Apples are also a part of our American story of this nation because the first colonists brought seedlings to America when they came. The story of apples is old because it came to Europe from the silk trade route to China.In Europe, the trees were developed and expanded and became a staple in everyday diets. As you all know, apples can be dried, canned, and made into cider. Apple cider was the beverage of choice because early water supplies were often contaminated and not safe to drink. Cider was served at every meal and children drank it as well. Today we have to thank Captain John Smith, who arrived in Virginia in 1607 with the best European apple seeds and cuttings ready to plant. IT is a good thing too because the only apples that were here in America were crab apples that were basically not eatable. Even the Indians had no use for them either. JOhn Smith writes in his diary that by 1627, apples, peaches , apricots and figs were prospering in the new colony! Maybe being from Virginia means that I just simple have apples in my DNA!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile
This will be fun! I found a new recipe that I'm hoping to make this week called an Apple Slab Pie. It's made in a large rimmed cookie sheet instead of a pie plate and has an all butter crust, which I have never made before...always use shortening. It looks delicious! I will post a photo when I get it finished.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I have never made the slab pie Debbie but it sounds good. I think instead of my dad's apple cake I will make my Deep Dish Apple pie. Everyone here loves it!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile
For you who can't wait for Apple Pie Sunday to get your apple fix I suggest you go to Denny's and have their Vanilla custard crepe with apple walnut bourbon sauce. What a treat. I had it for brunch today along with eggs, hash browns, and sausage. Crepe was included with breakfast but it can be ordered a la carte. Plate licking good - but I didn't.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  06:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
That sounds yummy! See everyone is in an apple state of mind! Even the restaurants. So glad apples are getting their just due! Usually it is pumpkin spice. LOL

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  06:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I want to find a recipe so I can make the sauce. Never made caramel before but I'm willing to give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Sara, what a delightful meal you had! I have been making apple pie fillings like crazy. Can hardly wait for pie day. Meanwhile I’ll eat apple butter.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  05:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia I've never made apple pie filling to can - may put it on my to-can list.

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 09 2019 05:10:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  10:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, there is nothing more beautiful than jars of apple pie filling just waiting to fill a pie crust up and pop into the oven!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about your apple butter and pie filling at your kitchen. Enjoy!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow Winnie I had a wonderful surprise in the mail today. Thank you so much for all of the apple goodies. The bag, the handmade kitchen towel, the potpourri,apple pie spice,the hot pad your are so talented Winnie. The candies I love tea is my favorite too. The dish is so cute along with the apple shaped notepaper the candle smells wonderful And I will bake up some of your apple chedder bread and use my homemade applesauce that I canned. Thank you so much Winnie. Will enjoy everything.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2019 :  2:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Did my apple butter in the Instant Pot. You core the apples and quarter them, knife any bad spots and throw them in the pot with 1/4 cup water. Once cooked, use an immersion blender and you have very thick applesauce, smooth as you like. then add your sweetener and spices. You can use the Saute setting to cook longer. I love how thick my was so only used Saute for 5 mins. Easy, delicious apple butter, and it's all mine. No one in the family likes it.I used Manual, High pressure 20 mins. Allow time to raise pressure and the do the Natural Release. All together I spent 3 hours doing this batch. Used my own Gala apples.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  07:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Today is Apple Pie Sunday and we woke up to ... snow. I don't think we had a frost last year until well into October, so yeah, the end of our outside bounty came early this year. On Friday and yesterday, we scrambled like crazy to bring in the bounty from our garden and orchard. It was all hands on deck (hubby, me, daughter Meg, hubby Lucas, and daughters Stella and Mia), but we got 'er done just as it was getting dark.

We now have trays and trays of produce inside (pumpkins, watermelons, butternut squash, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, pears, apples, plums, and cantaloupe) filling every nook and cranny. I also rescued the last of my roses.

But you can't let a little snow mess with Apple Pie Sunday! We're going to make apple crisp today (with a few pears thrown in) and Meg wants to try making gazpacho with apples instead of tomatoes. And of course a pie with a yummy buttery crust, my favorite, eaten with some cheese.

Just look at the size of our Asian pears this year. I filled one of our fridges with a tree's worth. They'll keep well into February. As I was picking them I realized there wasn't a single one with a worm hole. Good year for pears!

And apples. We picked bushels of apples also.

Butternut.

And tomatoes.

Huge onions again this fall. This variety, Redwing, kept in our pump house until we started getting onions again in our garden, so they keep until July.

I needed to get warm (it poured rain all day) so I played around with some bouquets. These pumpkin-colored roses are called Strike It Rich and Rosie the Riveter.

Watermelon Salsa ingredients.

Pumpkin prettiness.

Also, as part of my prep for today, I gathered together a sampling of our apple varieties to send to Winnie tomorrow (I couldn't help tossing in a potato, an onion, and a few pears.) Thank you Winnie for your love of apples and the idea behind our special day today. (I'm sending 4 apples from our rescued Mascot "Duchess of Oldenburg" tree--it was loaded this year.)

Happy Apple Pie Sunday to you and yours!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Good morning MaryJane, your garden bounty is beautiful. I have all my apple pie ingredients on the counter - now to get it done.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Sara, I think it's the smell of an apple pie baking that gets me the most, especially wonderful on a chilly day. Enjoy.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  09:30:40 AM  Show Profile
What a harvest!!!!

My pie is in the oven. I made a pumpkin apple pie. Pictures to follow......(when it's done of course)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I haven't had pumpkin apple pie but it does sound tasty - maybe it'll be next year's pie.

My pie is out of the oven and I had a slice with cheddar cheese for lunch and that's all I had. Will eat my veggies later.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile

I never had it before either Sara, but it was amazing!

I sure hope others joined in the apple pie Sunday celebration.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I wonder what an entire pie of thinly sliced pumpkin would taste like? Hmmmm. Butter, honey, and pumpkin pie spices but with a top crust. I think I'll try it.

Our crisps are in the oven, the girls helping me (they worked the peeler/slicer) while mom and dad schucked corn and got started on dinner.

"Pa" (hubby Nick) showed up with what will be our last picking of raspberries, just in time for us to add a layer on top of the apples. Given we woke up to snow this morning, it's truly been an apple Crisp Sunday.

Onions, bell peppers, and corn for a gazpacho kinda dinner along with chicken and apples.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  5:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Heather, that looks mighty good.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile
It all looks so yummy! I am sorry I don’t like pie:-)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”
Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile
The pies and desserts all look lovely. I did not manage to get a pie backed, but I did do applesauce. Seeing how the fireside variety worked for sauce. It is delicious. today i hope to make a pie and see how they bake down. I will bet peeling some for the freezer too.

Farming in WI

Michele

Farmgirl of the Month 6-19
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  07:03:47 AM  Show Profile
I am late getting my post up for our celebration of Apple Pie Sunday. First we were in Ireland until last Wednesday and then had to leave for the beach on Friday only to return Sunday afternoon. So, being full of jet lag still and exhaustion from too much on the go, I settled for a small traditional apple pie, which I can make from memory. I used Cortland apples this year that were in the grocery from upper state New York. Cortland apples are one of the many pie apples because they are part of a group of apples called, Acid-Tannin varieties. What this means is that they have a good balance of acid, tannin, and sugar to withhold the baking process. Cortlands also require much less sugar and hold up their shape so the pie filling isn't all mushy.

The part that made this traditional apple pie exceptional for our Apple Pie Sunday was the addition of Heather Nipper's Wild Blackberry Ice cream topper sauce. Heather and I decided to exchange canned goods we made this summer and this blackberry topping arrived just in time. We added a couple of spoonfuls over each slice of warm pie and it was DELICIOUS!!!! Oh my, what a wonderful addition to a piece of pie. Thank-you Heather for this perfect surprise for our Apple Pie Sunday celebration!!

Here is my little "pie for Two" for our Apple Pie Sunday.

'
This pie makes enough for each of us to have two nice size slices of pie which is perfect for just the two of us. I got this little pie pan from Longaberger years ago when I was a home consultant. Now that it is just hubby and me, I use it all the time when I make a dessert so that we are not left with an entire pie to eat ourselves. Looking forward to eating the last two slices this evening with more of Heather's Blackberry topping!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic 5th Annual Apple Festival at MJF!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page