MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  1:43:27 PM  Show Profile
I has been a pretty sad and rough day for me. Last week my great dane started to limp around and since it wasnt getting better we took her in to the vet today. Her x-ray came back showing that she has bone cancer in her from leg. I have cried all day. She is the sweetest dog ever and doesnt deserve this. Right now we are doing pain management to see how she does. I'm praying that things will get better for her and we wont have to put her down. Even though the doctor tells us that it will be inevitable. My sweet girl has been right by my side for 9 years and plays so well with my kids. She is Everleigh's best friend. My heart is so broken.

UPDATE
My sweet Zakell passed away this morning. I have been non stop crying. It's so hard on me. I can't believe how quickly her cancer spread. It's just not fair. I am missing my girl so much right now. Oh how I wish I could snuggle with her some more. My oldest is very confused about it all right now which makes it even harder. I know she is now pain free and hopefully running all over the place.

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Dec 27 2019 12:57:27 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Krista I'm so sorry. That's the sweetest picture.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  2:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista I'm so sorry. Its amazing how much our pets mean to us. What a sweet picture and sad. My Daughter just had to put her golden down at 13 years and we are all so sad about that. I know how you feel, as I have had pets in my life that I still think about. I have no advise on how to deal with it. Just know I'm thinking about you.
Hugs Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  5:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Krista I am so heart broken for you and your family. I pray for the best for your big girl. Hugs and kisses.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6391 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6391 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista I am so sorry. Sending love and prayers from Colorado.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”
Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  08:09:35 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Krista! Sending lots of hugs and prayers during this difficult time.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  3:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista. I wish I could give you a hug. We have been through this with beloved dogs - twice. It is heart breaking and so hard. I am thinking of you and your family. It is not an easy thing to go through, but your pup is lucky because she is loved and knows it. So sorry this has happened. It seems to be a thing that happens in bigger dogs! Both of mine started the cancer in the leg.

Big Farmgirl Hugs. If you want to pm me, please do.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista! As a Dane lover and owner of many (not currently but over the past 20-30 yrs), I am just crying over this.
Danes are such big giant sweethearts, and tug at the heartstrings of any that have owned them.
Gentle loving giants.
Give that sweet girl a kiss from me ( the human one too LOL)
Special special dogs, or as I like to say, part humans.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  01:20:17 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear this Krista.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  1:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It's been rough on my family. So far she is responding well to the pain meds and is getting around better. We will see what happens with a couple more days. She still has a big appetite which is a plus.

Nicole, that's what our vet said. He said that bone cancer is very common amongst big dogs. He said they get one of two kinds. One stays within the bone, the other spreads to the outside. My sweet Zakell has both. New also not sure how rapidly it's spreading.

Lisa, they seriously are the sweetest gentle giants ever. I'm so blessed to have her in my life.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  2:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista, I am so, so sorry. She knows she is loved. When our Australian Terrier, Amy, was diagnosed with lung cancer, it was so hard because they said her timeline was two months max. In that time, I told her it was "Yesland" and she could have whatever she wanted. We bought chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A for treats. We loved on her while still hoping. One morning her pain was so that we called the vet to help her pass over the bridge peacefully in her favorite spot of the yard. She was ready and seemed relieved to let go. I know how very hard this is but your family has shown her love. That's all they ever ask of us. You never forget them, ever.

Keep shining!
Natalie

"Ask what makes you come alive and go do it." ~Howard Thurman
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile
That is sad news. Best to you and your family.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:07:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Krista, my daughter and husband lost their great dane last Fall to the same disease. It was heartbreaking because Izzie was such a personality and part of their home life. I am so sorry that your beloved Dane is now suffering with this same disease. Extra Farmgirl Hugs to you today for this heartbreaking issue.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Natalie, that's exactly how I have been. Anything she wants she gets. Anything she wants to do I let her. It's just so hard for me to grasp because it feels like it came out of nowhere. The first of this month she was running around out back and now she struggles to walk. In all honesty it make me angry and in denial. Dying and death are not something I handle very well.

Winnie, I am so sorry for your daughters loss. It breaks my heart to hear how common it is amongst Great Danes. It's so unfair. How old was your daughters Great Dane?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  05:29:28 AM  Show Profile
`Krista, our daughters Great Dane was just over 6 years old. The Vet here said that Sarcoma was very common in Danes at this age. I am not sure why they , as a breed , are susceptible to this disease but apparently they are. Krista, I think watching our beloved fur friends slowly succumb to a devastating disease fits in the category of losing anything one that is special to our hearts. Nobody is good at with death and dying and I worked as a Hospice nurse for 11 years. One of the reasons, I changed departments after 11 years was that I was so burned out over death and dying. I dont’ think anyone, doctors and vets included, are not saddened when there is nothing left to do except comfort care. All we can do is walk as far as we can with the dying and provide comfort and love till the Maker takes over. YOur sweet Dane will need your love , help, and care and after all is over, you will know that you did all that you could. Your Vet will help you to help her reach the Rainbow Bridge as easily as possible.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2019 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, that's so sad. My Dane just turned 9 at the first of this month. I truly am blessed she went this long before getting sick. And thank you so very much for your comforting words. It really does help me feel better and realize I am doing all that I can for her. She truly is loved and I'm sure she knows it. I have been sure to give her extra treats every day and extra loving. I think the unknown with her is what's the hardest. Every morning I'm nervous to check on her and see that she may have passed. But I feel I would much rather her choose that than me make the choice for her.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2019 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile
I am so sad for you Krista---I have worried over hamsters, rabbits, chickens and goats. dogs and cats, orphan things I have raised. It hurts so bad when they get sick and it breaks your heart for sure. I feel your pain and so sorry for Everleigh and her love for it. I so understand---all we can do is take care of them and do our best for them and if we do that; then surely we will have stars in our crowns in heaven.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2019 :  6:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista! I know what you mean about hoping they pass before you have to make that decision. My Dane Emily was 12 and needed help walking, but was alert, ate her food etc. She was my heart, my soul, my BEST FRIEND! One night she started to cough. I laid by her and sang the song Sanctuary from church and said "Please Lord take my baby" and he did. She died in my arms. I honestly don't know how I could have had her put down, but I know if I had to I would have. All animals are special, but some are your heart. Emily was my heart.
I have you and your family in my heart too. Danes are just so special!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2019 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lisa, you are amazing. That's exactly what I wish for. It breaks my heart to think I would need to make a choice for her and I pray that I don't have to. It's been snowing here all day and she loves the snow. I feel so sad that she can't go run and jump in it like she use to. Our new house will have only 2 stairs going outside and will be much easier on her. I hope it will make a difference for her. Your Emily is beautiful!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  3:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Krista I will keep you, your Dane beauty and your human family in my prayers.
Update now and then if you feel ok doing so.
Lisa
Thanks for the kind words about Emily. She was my "human" dog. Never had one like that.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Lisa. She is doing good. We are still figuring out the pain management, but I think we have found a combination that is working. We are moving this weekend and our new house only has 2 stairs to go outside. This will be much easier on her than the full flight of stairs we have now. Plus it's a two story home so she wouldn't need to go up any stairs inside. Her leg has grown in size at the shoulder and is now growing in size at the elbow. I'm afraid it's a rapid spreading cancer.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  2:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Krista
I feel for you so much. My husband and mine first Christmas together we spent at the emergency vet with my 5yr old Pekingnese. Three days later I had to let "Hitchhiker" go. That was 1986 and it still hurts. Me personally though, I do believe I will seem him again. Romans 8:19-22.

He was named Hitchhiker or Hitchy for short. My dad a trucker found him on the road side and brought him home.

Krista I wish I could be there and give you a big hug. So sorry you have to go through this at this time of year.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  01:40:43 AM  Show Profile
So very sorry Krista. It really hurts to lose a beloved dog. I still cry about my old dog that passed away in July and every time I think of him I yearn to see him again. Will be thinking of you.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  04:47:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Krista.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6391 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6391 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  06:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I am so sorry you have lost your beloved Dane. Sending healing light, love and prayers.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Colorado
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”
Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  5:04:54 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet fur friend, Krista. Sending you extra Farmgirl Hugs tonight to you and your family.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My great dane has passed Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page