YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  07:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I have my groceries delivered and this morning the person who delivered was a young single mother. We talked about why I had bought so many cans of different kinds of tomatoes. I told her it was because they are on sale and when items are on sale I stock up. I haven't paid full price for canned tomatoes in years. I hope I helped her to think about stocking up on sale items that she uses regularly.

I told her I would write the use by date on labels large enough so I can read without my glasses. If the dates are easy to read I can keep my pantry rotated so older dates are used first.

That's two of the ways I stock my pantry. Buy on sale & write dates so it's easy to read.

What are your tips for keeping a well stocked pantry?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  10:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
You have so many great ideas and tips. If you wrote a book I would buy it.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  12:29:32 PM  Show Profile
One year as a young mother my father asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told him "a case of tomatoes". One of the few birthday presents I remember was my 16th birthday when my father gave me a 10 pound box of dates. He said it might be the only dates I got.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  12:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Sara! I stock up on honey! Lasts forever and like you, I write dates even tho there is no expiration for it. Same with sugar! I use a lot of it during the summer for the hummers so if it's on sale during the holidays (baking) I grab multiple bags. Other items I use a lot of that have long shelf lives I purchase! You just never know when the zombie apocalypse will happen! Lol!!

Judith, you're dad sounds like a hoot! I love that!!!! Such a sweet funny memory!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  1:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Dad was wonderful. He passed last year one month short of his 104th birthday. He was a squirrel and if something was 10 for a dollar he would buy 20. Drove Mom crazy but they sure had a well-stocked pantry. In his later years we would sneakily go thru the pantry and toss things that were way pass the exdate.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
My pantry is a holy fright! It's a closet pantry and things fall out on your head when you open it. But I am well stocked---just messy. I have shelves in the basement filled with canned goods and of course a room full of home canned goods. I admire organization and happy that you are so organized. I have tried but I always get back in a mess. We have a root cellar for potatoes and such.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  2:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I am a big believer in the zombie apocalypse---LOL. Actually I really do believe something bad could happen at any time. Too much craziness in the world. Stocking up is wise.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Amen Barbara! Doesnt hurt to be prepared!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Sara, you have such a well organized approach to your pantry supplies and I bet your conversation with the grocery driver will help her too! If nobody has ever given a person simple tips on saving money in the kitchen, they might not realized how they could be saving precious dollars. I try and be organized and keep important supplies on hand. However, I have a small pantry and there is room for improvement and a better method of making lists to keep on hand when I come across sales and buy one get one free sales. Thanks for sharing!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2019 :  02:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Always good ideas when the ladies get chatting on MJF. I have a well stocked pantry as well. Lots in the freezer, canning shelves and canned goods.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2019 :  06:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Michele how right you are. Freezers and canning shelves are all part of a well stocked kitchen.

Winnie I don't have a large walk in pantry - only in my dreams but one 4'w X 5 cans deep floor to ceiling - keeping mind ceilings in original part of house are only 7'. It has two doors on top half and two doors on bottom. I keep foil pans on top shelves that I buy on sale.

I keep potatoes and garlic on one shelve in laundry room closet and onions on shelve under kitchen counter top. Have to keep potatoes & onions separate because together they spoil quicker. Like an apple will make other fruit spoil faster.

I do keep sugar in a large vintage lard can. Have been doing so for almost 40 years. A couple of years ago it dawn on my I had never seen the bottom of the can since I started adding sugar. So I stopped buying sugar. As I got closer to the bottom - about 6" I started noticing a musty smell. At 4" it was so strong I threw the sugar out; washed & air dried the can. Now I only keep sugar I know I will use in a year or two. Got to rotate that sugar too.

lol on zombie apocalypse. Barbara I find it's especially hard to keep the shelve straight that has a little of this & that.

Judith loved hearing the stories about you dad - sweet memories.

Dianna thanks for reminding us that honey has a long shelve life.

Thanks Nancy for your sweet words.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  5:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Oooo Sara, you opened up one of my favorite topics!, pantry stocking and organizing!

First though, Judith thank you for sharing about your dad who obviously lived through some historically tight times in our country. Your first memory made me laugh out loud, the next touched my heart. People today have virtually no concept of being prepared for tomorrow’s dinner, much less next week’s.

My pantry is a comfortable size, floor to ceiling shelves in a wide closet with a full sized door. But of course it isn’t big enough, and I dream of a butler’s pantry with counters and an inside freezer.

My method of stocking isn’t based so much on price per item as making sure I have it on hand. I have a 14 mile round trip to a nice grocery store, 60 mile to Costco, so for me there is more value in having the item in my pantry than in saving on the purchase price. The money and time saved by not having to run to a store because I ran out of an item is just as valuable as dollars in my wallet.

Dairy, meat and perishables drive me to the store, and once I’m there I peruse each aisle to see what is sparked in my memory to be running low in the pantry. The result is that I have a little mini market in my house. Just about any condiment, spice, or seasoning that I use can be found in duplicate on my top shelf. I call it my magic pantry, but the magic is really in writing down the item on the shopping list when it moves from the pantry to the kitchen shelf, so that I can replenish the “warehouse”. I currently have my daughter and her husband living with us while they get their new house ready to move into, and I told them up front that I am a food hoarder. I think he especially has been amazed at the things I have pulled out of the depths of my pantry! Used up the soy sauce? Got it! Need more celery salt? In the back. Ranch dressing? Of course! It’s kinda become a matter of pride for me.

But it also stems from the same sentiment that Dianna shared about potential societal glitches. You never know what might cause one. Our rural county has had more than its share in the past few years, and I’m convinced that when the “big One” occurs, it will be people with pantries like mine who survive!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  06:22:30 AM  Show Profile
Sara let me first say I so enjoyed you telling us about your pantry. I too like having backups. I have never been a serial shopper that went from grocery store to grocery store. I find a store I like and stick with it. Having said that I have added another grocery store, Aldi, to my home delivery shopping. Since I no longer do the shopping or the lugging into the house I can order from as many stores as I want.

Talking about yesterday's shopping reminded me about the white vinegar I bought from Aldi. It's 3.7% acidity and can't be used for pickling or canning but it's good enough for doing the laundry. Read those labels. Not all vinegars are 5%. To my surprise Heinz apple cider vinegar is not 5%. A Texas based grocery store chain that has a store in town has 5% ACV under their store name.

I got a little off the subject of a well stocked pantry but I guess reading labels is all part of it.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  1:56:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't understand what white vinegar is for in the laundry. How do you use it?. I make window cleaner with it. Do you also clean with it?

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I don't use fabric softener so the vinegar helps with that and also it's a boost to laundry detergent. I make dis-infective wipes by layering un-scented baby wipes in plastic container with vinegar. Use in the kitchen to wipe down counter tops, cutting boards, etc. Also use them to clean windows and mirrors. Will use 5% vinegar for wipes just to be on the safe side that they will dis-infect.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  11:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Those are great tips, and more good money-saving ideas Sara! I think vinegar is one of the most under-appreciated products in our homes.

I’ve been wanting to make ACV from scratch. Has anyone made vinegar?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  01:25:41 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I have tried making ACV several times and wasn't satisfied with the results. Will try again when I have enough peels & cores. Right now the peels are going to my kitchen worm farm.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  02:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Every year I made ACV during apple season. Peels and cores stuffed into a quart jar, add water and some sugar, I don't remember how much per cups of water, right now. Let is sit in a dark place, shaking every day. After 2 weeks strain and let it sit longer. I let it go till it smells good. I do put the mother in the new jar every year. My apples are grown organic, so no worries about what is on them.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  03:34:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a very large open pantry off the kitchen. Floor to ceiling shelves on one long side. The other side only half the length of the other side due to door opening has a large chest freezer and small refrigerator. The fridge we use for storing eggs and drinks. Any extras. I keep the freezer stocked and would love to get some venison in there. The pantry shelves hold just about everything but everyday dishes due to little cabinet space in the kitchen. That was the biggest reason we added on to the house and made the pantry. On one end I have a cabinet that holds trash and recycles. Above that I put up pegboard to hold my cast iron pans. So my pantry is not typical but very helpful. I use wire shelves above the freezer and cast iron pans to hold my canning pots and supplies.
It does get messy in there so has to be cleaned up on a regular basis. I do try to rotate items so I am not wasting anything.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 12 2019 03:38:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  06:41:13 AM  Show Profile
Denise your pantry sounds wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2019 :  8:56:19 PM  Show Profile
This is a subject so near and dear to my heart. Having always lived a good distance from the nearest grocery store, I learned from my grandmother the benefits of a well stocked pantry. I have a full walk in "cool" room with floor to ceiling shelves that I store all the garden produce I have canned. This room is also home to the potatoes, onions and squashes I bring in from the barn on a weekly basis for meals. In another pantry I have floor to ceiling shelves that hold the rest of the boughten canned goods and dry staples. I also have multiple freezers since we raise and hunt most of our meats.

I try to only buy supplies when on sale, helping to keep the grocery budget as low as possible and I am always checking expiration dates. Like Sara, dairy and fresh produce are what force me to finally go grocery shopping every 2 to 3 weeks. If I run out of something before than, I have learned to improvise, sometimes with much better results.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile
I would have to say that our freezer is really the only well stocked item. We bought 1 and a half cows at the first of the year. So I organize each shelf with each type of meat and then in order of what needs to be used first. We use different permanent markers to mark the year on each one so we know which ones need to be eaten first. I really need to stock up on some of my canned goods. Many times our stores do caselot sales, so I will need to grab some then.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Julie your pantries must be a joy to behold.

Krista a well stocked freezer is a good thing and you have it so organized.

I stock up on can goods when they're on sale.

I ordered groceries today. Small avocados on sale for .35 so I got six. Will share with sisters.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  10:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow Denise! Your pantry sounds like my dream! And you added it on? Wise choice!
I see you are in North Dakota. It sounds like you have garden produce stored in the barn, and you periodically bring some in to the pantry to be used? So the barn is much like a root cellar? And you grow all your potatoes and onions?
I want to come visit you!
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes Sara, we do raise all our potatoes and onions. I do run out of fresh onions, but I dehydrate some and chop a bunch and have them in the freezer for quick meals. I also can and freeze potatoes as by spring I usually have just enough left for garden seed and they are starting to sprout and get a little soft. We have 2 rooms in our barn that are heated to just above freezing. They are used to store vet supplies, things that can not freeze over winter and become a warming room for new babies if we need it in the spring. I just use a couple of large wooden bins made out of pallets to hold my veggies. They can easily be taken apart when I am done with them.

Having a well stocked pantry not only saves me money, it saves me the most valuable asset we can have, time to do what we truly liove and enjoy.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2019 :  07:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Julie, you freeze potatoes. Not whole I assume but like hash browns and such?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Well Stocked Pantry Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page