Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Bored with all food--a "Seasonal" disorder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bored with all food--a "Seasonal" disorder Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm in between Seasons, or something, because although we've only had a few Spring like days here, I've already got the bug for something fresh--a plate of sliced tomatoes (that actually have flavor), or 3 ears of sweet corn--something like that and I'm completely over the hearty winter food thing. I have a gazillion different frozen stews, soups etc...and I've turned my nost up at all of them.

Can't put my finger on it, but for someone who loves food and how to make it, I've been without a planned menu for 5 days straight--absolutely no desire to cook or eat and for once in my life, nothing actually SOUNDS good.

What's up? Anyone else get this way around (foodwise) looking forward to the next season? It's almost like I'm putting away my winter clothes, but only with winter foods.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  8:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I made fajitas because like you I crave the veggies but the ones I want aren;t inseason yet. I made some marinated skirt steak and grilled it. We sauteed onion, red pepper and portabello mushrooms and served on large tortillas. I added a bit of sour cream and a ton of fresh cilanto and a bit of lime juice and it gave it such a bright fresh flavor that really hit the spot!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  8:48:27 PM  Show Profile
That sounds great, Julie--I got a fajita pan for Christmas that I've yet to use, and I think that will be tomorrow night's supper. I've been really blue about food, so thanks for the inspiration!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  9:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Guess that comes from living with all those seasons y'all claim to love so much lol

Are you missing the plowing, harrowing and weeding too? I do admit to missing mango sucking season nothing like a sunkissed sweeet mango.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  11:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we need a spring cleanse of some kind Jonni. I made a roast chicken dinner tonite with all the trimmings and while it turned out good, I'm just tired of heavy meals. I was trying to come up with some supper ideas for the week and like you say, nothing seems appealing. Your fajitas sound good Julie. This time of year I really miss the garden the most...fresh beets and chard, sun-warmed tomatoes with olive oil and fresh basil...spinach salad. Yep, it's definitely time for some lighter, fresher meals around here. Anyone got any good/fresh ideas?
Di
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I get bored in the winter and look forward to just eating a bowl of fresh fruit or vegetables that have some taste. I found some corn I froze from last summer and ate 3 ears in one sitting. It was so good!!!

I am not a big fan of heavy meals anyway but in winter time it is hard to find some ingredients. I love Spring. It is my favorite time of the year.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  11:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I can just taste a tomato and cucumber sandwich about now! Must me time to get out in the garden!

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  1:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I am seriously craving pasta salad! I am weighing in my mind whether I will cheat the seasons today and go to the big box store and get lettuce and cherry tomatoes... we've been so good this year, eating with the seasons... but a salad would be so good! Oh... what do I do?

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way....it's REAL weird when I can't find anything to eat!!!!

Spring cleansing, it is....it was supposed to be A LOT warmer than it actually made it to today, but I still think I'm going to grill out. Grilled asparagus brushed with olive oil, garlic and sea salt, and balsamic honey grilled chicken breast over wild rice with almonds.

Tomorrow night, fajitas!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bored with all food--a "Seasonal" disorder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page