HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  4:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Believe it or not---my husband is in the kitchen making popcorn for opossums. He fusses at me for my animals and then insists on feeding the opossums at night. We have them in all shapes, colors and sizes. I picture them curled up asleep under the porch all day and grinning at our stupidity. Is this DUMB or what???

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  5:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Nah! your hubby is just a big ol' Softie!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2019 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I am NOT a Possum Fan...we have many in our neck of the woods. They just remind me of a Large RAT...and I am NOT a FAN of rodents of any kind.

Personally I think your husband is crazy feeding them but like Grace said Barbara, he is probably just a Big Softy. When I told my husband what yours was doing he said, "WHY???" LOL We got a good laugh out of your story though. I am glad that we did not grow up in the Pioneer
Days where they ate Possum...because we would have starved to death.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Dec 20 2019 10:23:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2019 :  12:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I like possums. My kids had a pet one. Charlie was a good little guy.
He figured out how to unlatch his cage. I still feed the ones that wander
Thru our yard.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2019 :  2:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, I am a wild life rehabber and I appreciate what your hubs is doing! Possum are my FAVORITE ( and fox) to rehabilitate!!! I adore them! They are the most amazing creatures! We let them ALL go on our property as the eat ticks, they can process bubonic plague and any so much more! My friend has 2 as pets. They are sweet as heck as so soft. You tell you hubs, WTG!! Keep them around and your tick population will decrease! Ours has considerably!! (***)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2019 :  05:06:21 AM  Show Profile
ahhhh that is so sweet of your husband.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2019 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, we feed the squirrels in our backyard that feeder corn you put out for deer!!Most people shoot them, but we find them amusing and and fun to watch along with our birds who come to the feeders. So, no, we would completely understand popping corn for the Opossoms!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2019 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---I do actually think making popcorn for possums is a bit crack minded. But I saw a baby one and was sneaking it bread and then many more came and hubby felt sorry for them and threw out some old popcorn and they LOVED it. So then the popcorn was on and they have a popcorn eating party every night, If they eat ticks I am all for them. Hubby got lyme disease this year and they are on the dogs all winter for some reason they come out in the fall and winter. I kinda am repulsed by them like Peggy---but yet they are God's critters to0----and not being very pretty myself---I sort of understand them. I rescued one once from the dogs and took it off after I locked them up. And I waited until it woke up from playing dead and watched it walk off---a good experience. And I saw an article in the paper about a woman who rehabilitated possums and they would come in the kitchen and sleep in the bottom cabinets---but the DNR saw that article and come and took them. So sad---loose lips sink ships as they say. Anyway===I think I could love a possum. The only animal I think I could not love is a rhino---but who knows??? We love squirrels too. All wildlife but coyotes---and hey when we took our fawn to rehab they had tame coyotes. So who knows what we can love if we have to.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  5:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---our popcorn for possums program has turned into a possum apocalypse. More coming and we can't recognize them. The original baby possum we fed has to eat last. My friend sent me a thought for a day jar---one said that the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  07:03:25 AM  Show Profile
We have opossum but we rarely see them. if they eat ticks I'm all for them. However, if we feed too much, they, like any other won't do the jobs of eating or spreading seeds and such like they are meant to. We feed the birds but only during snows when it is hard for them to find their natural diet. It is amazing how important the animals are to propagating all kinds of things in nature.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 09 2020 07:04:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  6:53:26 PM  Show Profile
So funny ~ We just had an opossum IN the chicken run the other night. I got the cutest photos of him. Very docile. He couldn’t hurt he the chickens because the coop was already locked for the night. Didn’t seem afraid of us at all and was so cute with a pink nose, tail, and paws, and so FUZZY! Love it!

Haven’t seem him since. In 25 years living here it only the third I have seen in my yard, I think. Maybe I should make it some popcorn!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Popcorn For Opossums Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic