YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  08:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Not much going on with my gardens right now but I am planning for 2020.

The International Herb of Year for 2020 is Rubus spp. Blackberries, raspberries, et al. Who knew they were herbs. There's not enough sunlight to go around in my garden so I will have to skip planting the Herb of the Year this year. Maybe next year there'll be a herb that fits into my small space.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
I am going to enlarge my garden yet again. I have to replace the fence as all the post are broken and so what better excuse to get bigger garden. It will also be adding grapes and berries this year.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  10:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Diana how great to add grapes and berries to your garden and a new fence to boot. Enjoy planning which plants to buy. I think I enjoy the planning as much as the doing.

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  1:10:56 PM  Show Profile
When all the seed catalogs come it makes me happy.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  1:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---the planning is always the most fun for me. Gardening is great in an easy chair relaxing with seed books. And my mind races with new things to plant. And then I remember all my failures---the blighted black raspberries I had to dig up and throw away, the sweet cherry trees that never had a cherry and then died and so on and on. And then I do try a few new things---but mostly I stick with the tried and true. But oh what winter fun I have with those seed catalogs.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile
I don't have enough sun in my yard for berries, either, but blackberries grow in abundance by the river just a few miles away. While standing in the checkout line at Sprouts I found "The Whole Seed Catalog". What a great selection of seeds -- makes me wish I had five acres of sunny land again. It's a good winter dream book for sure.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  04:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I always try to plant one thing new every year. Sometimes it works out and at other times it's a flop. I think of the flops as learning experiences and either don't plant it again or if I really want it I'll give it one more try and put it in another spot in the garden. Experience after all is the best teacher.

Judith, I find seed catalogs like cookbooks are good reading in my rocker on a cold winter day.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile
This year, I am looking forward to my fresh garlic and scapes coming up. Planted quite a bit this year.

I had the best garden ever this past year. I am also excited because I planted a bunch of album bulbs for spring. We also cleared an old bed out to start over...a clean slate! Can’t wait to design that.

My peas, tomatoes, cucumbers and squash were terrific this past year. We had garden goodies until late fall, My pumpkins were the only thing that did not do so great this year.

Can’t wait to start planting again.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Today I noticed daffodils poking up out of the ground already.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  03:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Nicole here's hoping you have a repeat of your garden success this year. Keep us posted on the new design.

Judith how great to have a bit of color this early in the year.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  8:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Sara - they aren't blooming yet but we will have lots of yellow probably the first week in February.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4709 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4709 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile
I have also enjoyed going through my seed catalogs and the gardening magazines at the bookstore. I haven't grown annuals from seed for several years but I can't resist the new varieties of marigolds, zinnias and dahlias. I'll be digging up my plant cells and getting starter soil this winter and give it a go. We've had such an odd and quirky December that my perennials actually started coming up here just west of Chicago. Some day winter will show up in full force for us, until then I have to restrain myself from starting my seeds to soon.

Happy gardening dreams everyone!
Dawn in IL

"To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
- Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  5:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Still covered in snow, and I want to do a big garden this summer... but... hubby and I plan to be traveling from May through Sept.. so no garden for me.. but I just might do a few 'traveling' flower/herb pots for the Motorhome...

Anybody travel with plants?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm really wanting to plant elderberries, blueberries and raspberries this year. I have such a small yard, but I think I can do it! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile
I have a small garden and fit quite a bit into the area. Every year I try to add something new, last year was my own seeds starts inside with all new heirloom seeds from Baker Creek. I hated my small trays I used from Amazon (9 - 1" cell which fell apart as I tried to remove each of the plants), so this year I have kicked it up a notch by ordering bootstrap farmers 1020 trays, 32 cell insert and humidity dome units.

Good luck this year, may it be a fruitful year for all growers!

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  08:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Even though I live in an apartment I decided to check into a local community garden this year for a garden plot. I will be checking back with the local metro park around 2/14 to see if there are any plots available. If there are, I will be renting one for $50 for the year.

I have already received my catalog from Baker's Heirloom seeds and have a few ideas of what I want to get.

Also, thinking of planting some plants that act as dyes for my sheep fiber that I spin.

Glad to hear all the ideas everyone is excited to do and not do.

Nancy J Noble
Farmgirl No. 2508
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  08:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, renting a garden plot sounds so exciting to me. Have fun planning and working your space. Keep us up on every step of the way - we want to hear all about it.

So far our winter in northeast Texas has been fairly mild. All my herbs and container roses are looking good.

Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I will let you know as I am getting excited at the thought too. Even one of my neighbors in the building said she would be interested to do it as well. Finally snowed some this weekend here in Columbus, OH. My cousin in Colorado sends pictures of his heirlooms during the summer. Especially when he grills his heirloom carrots. Can't wait for competition to go with him. LOL I will let you know how things go. I have already started my gardening journal for this year.

What kind of herbs are you growing?

Nancy
Farmgirl # 2508

Nancy J Noble
Farmgirl No. 2508
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile
I have containers on the back deck of spearmint and pennyroyal which will come back in the spring; sage and parsley are still green. Creeping rosemary along front side walk on both sides. In the raised beds are MJF garlic, elephant garlic, Greek oregano, English thyme, lemon thyme, chives, window box sage, Italian oregano, Syrian oregano, and Texas tarragon. All the herbs can be cut as I need them. Also a Sarah lavender that has lasted for two years. It's the only lavender I have ever been able to grow in my part of Texas. Come spring I will add basil, dill, and cilantro -even though it bolts early.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  7:27:32 PM  Show Profile
NancyOH1,, what a great idea.. Community Gardening...fingers crossed you get a plot for your very own...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  11:26:35 PM  Show Profile
I put my seed order in the mailbox today! It is WAY too big, but dreams are what carry us through the winter months, right?

We’ve had temperatures in the 70’s here and the almond orchards are in glorious bloom! Tomorrow I plan to prep the new garden plot and maybe even tuck a few early seeds of lettuce and beets into the soil. I’ll let you know how it goes—we are also waiting for a new grand baby to arrive any day!

Happy early Spring!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  04:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Sara, congratulations on the new grand baby when he/she arrives.

Dreams for our gardens and seed orders are always too big but a lot of the dreams do come true and most of the seeds do make it into the ground.

So far our winter has been mild and danger of frost should be over by mid March.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile
With much gratitude for tractors and strong sons willing to help, I got my new garden plot cleared and ready for the next stage of planting! One of my very favorite days of the year is the first turning over of soil in Spring. It smells so good and you just have to put your hands into it! My DIL came out with 5 month old Eliza and she had her first handful and taste of the family farm. The harrow raked out all the cornstalks left trampled by the two hogs, and also evened out the hills and gullies they left behind in their burrowing.

A couple of hog panels in a corner created a hen-proof area to begin transplanting young cabbages and kale that have been holding their own in a corner of a raised bed through the cold months. They should take off in the newly warmed soil, and they are my inspiration to begin arranging rows of seeds across the rest of the plot. First, some new spring crops along the front—beets, lettuce, carrots, turnips, kale and leeks. I might save a space for onions and maybe try peas again. The majority of the plot will be saved for the summer garden and planted after threat of frost has passed.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  08:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Judith! My hyacinths and tulips are coming up here! So pretty and they smell great! I love spring!

Grace, I don't see why your plants cant travel with you! I see a lot of snowbirds camping out at our lake parks and they have their areas set up so pretty with their potted AND hanging plants!! :)

Jana, I feel incredibly blessed this year because my hubs built me a greenhouse back behind his shop!! Guess putting all those starter trays inside his shop, year after year got to him. Hehehe! Good luck with the new seeds! I like Bakers seed catalog also!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile
It's a sunny day but the wind is really gusting. Almost got blown away when I ventured out to have a look around my garden. In one of the raised beds I have MJF garlic planted in the fall. Spent a few minutes pulling up wee weeds growing among the garlic. In that one 12" X 8' bed seven or eight different kinds of weeds were growing. The only thing Texas has more of than weeds is insects.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Dianna,, I actually plan to take a couple of small pots of, geraniums, and a potted lavender... to hang out by the door of our motorhome,, but hubby wants to keep it simple, as space in a motorhome is at a premium.
I have seen those little wee herb pots,, with 4-5 herbs that can sit on a window sill,, that might solve my fresh herb travel garden...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2020 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page