Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wool Felt "Hunting"!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wool Felt "Hunting"! Next Topic  

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  6:04:19 PM  Show Profile
I am a fairly new member,Sister #8010, (but have been subscribing to the MaryJane's Farm magazine for a number of years). Not sure exactly how the Chatroom works, but here is my craft question: I would like to make some of the Felt Flower Air Fresheners described in the Feb-Mar 2020 issue of MaryJane's Farm. Wondering about a source for good quality wool felt? I won't need yards of it, simply some squares in various colors. I have found a few sources online, but the description of the felt is a mixture of wool & rayon or another fabric. Would this be appropriate or is there a better quality I should look for? Looking forward to learning some new craft skills!!!

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  8:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sharon, welcome. You will love it here.
If you have a JoAnn's, ACMoore, Michaels or fabric store near you ask them. They would be able to tell you.
At the top of the page click on active topics and it will show you what is happening. Go to the left and click on all forums and check them out.
Check out the swap forum to see them. Right now I have a tea swap and a magnet postcard swap. There are many others also. Join any you
like. Enjoy. Hope to see you around.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, welcome to the Farm.

I buy most of my felted wool from Winterberry Cabin https://www.winterberrycabin.com/

Also on Amazon which carries Moda & Primitive Gatherings wool.

You can find wool in varying sizes on both. Swatches of wool come in packages of one size with shades of one color or theme colors like for seasons. I built my small stash of wool on swatches.

Since you want to make the air fresheners I think you would need fabric that breathes so the scent could come through. Wool should breath - doubt rayon would.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,, Welcome to the forum...

might I suggest Thrift shops? look through mens clothing, sports jackets,, as well as in the ladies clothing for wool skirts.. the label are your guide and will indicate if the garment is 100% Wool or a blend.

When you find one, to bring home,, toss it in the washer and launder on a reg cycle,,, then dry in a dryer,, then cut the garment apart.. you will have so much fabric.

I have a friend who luvs to make wool penny rugs, so I am always on the search for wool garments for her.

plus,, the cost of the garment is a fraction of the cost for a small fat quarter size of wool an d it's a great way to salvage buttons and your are repurposing the garment.
I have found wool in reds (women's coats) and pastels (women's short jackets)
A Win - Win all the way around..

Have fun...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Grace, great idea. I'll have to remember to look!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Grace so glad you posted. Last year I bought 4 all wool men's jackets at the Salvation Army for an average of 5 dollars a piece. Felted one jacket - red - and put the others up and forgot about them. Out of sight - out of mind. I don't know about women's jackets but men's are hard to tear apart - so many layers of different fabrics to tailor the jacket. Will add felting the other jackets to my ever growing "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  9:58:33 PM  Show Profile
"TO-DO" list.. I have several of them!!!! lol!

Yes, check out ladies coats and jackets... as well as wool skirts,, tho' the coats give you the most yardage.. and usually nicer buttons!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  05:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Grace,

I have one of the n swashing machines with no spindle. I have been unable to throw in wool sweaters and get them felted because the washer only rinses with cold water. You need to wash and rinse in hot water to shrink the wool sweaters. So that’s bummed me out. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? Maybe hand wash in hot hot water?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  06:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I felted my wool in pieces in my slow cooker on high overnight. I have the hot water cut off on my washer and I can't reach it to turn it back on. Been washing with only cold water since the 1970s.

Since some dyes in wool are toxic I used two slow cooker liners just in case one sprung a leak.

I have a new pattern for a large patchwork sheep and am thinking about using the wool sweaters you gave me. I think the sweaters have been felted enough for what I want to do. The stripes and different colors should make for a colorful and fun sheep pillow. Thanks again Linda for the sweaters.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  10:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Linda,, don't laugh,, but 'swishing' helps with the felting.(sweaters)..
I have a large wash sink in my laundry room that I use for hand washing as well as giving Ginger her bathes,,,

When I need that swishing motion,, I have a plunger (that is NOT for the toilet as I have to remind DH).. and I 'plunge' the item in the hot water.. then drain out the water and use the plunger to press out most of the excess water (because the water is to hot to wring by hand).. then lay the item on 2 layers of old bath towels.. then when just damp I toss into the dryer on high heat.

I forgot to mention,, I don't rinse out all of the soap,, the soapy water helps to fluff and adhere the wool fibers.

As for coats and other wool garments,, they can't be felted with the same results as a wool sweater,, at least I have not had any luck doing so..

(how's the new LaCasa coming along? :>)

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Feb 22 2020 10:37:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  10:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow! So many helpful ideas so fast! Thanks!!! Will check out my local resale shops as well as the websites/stores mentioned. We only have a Hobby Lobby locally; only other store in town that carries much fabric is a Quilting Shop which can be a bit pricey.
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile
I want to say THANK YOU to all of you who listed resources for 100% wool felt (so I can experiment with some felt flowers per the MaryJanesFarm Magazine.For my first project I did want to keep it simple, so I just ordered squares from Amazon per some of your suggestions:it just arrived & looks & feels wonderful. CharmPacks is the brand, Americana colors & YAY! Made in America!!!

Now I have a new request: a source for cotton?/linen?/flour sack? type towels that I could embroider. My desire is to find some with neat hems & ones that won't wrinkle easily. It is hard to tell from the online descriptions just what the quality is, but I have a feeling many of you could point me in the right direction!!!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,, glad you found a resource for wool...

As for the huck sack cloth/towel material,, SOme fabric shops sell the 'towels' that you can embroider on.
I bought some several years ago, that had red/yel/grn stripes down each side, and you bought the toweling by the inch,, I think they did this because a standard dish towel is 26-28" long.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2020 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Sharone aka vegichik...
can you send me your mailing address... I have something I want to get into the mail to you..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wool Felt "Hunting"! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page