saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  11:15:24 PM  Show Profile
My hens only took off about a week for vacation this winter, and they are already putting out between 15-20 eggs per day in mid-February! I had put around 50 in the freezer in anticipation of the winter break and hardly touched those, so now I’m scrambling to find new ways to put eggs to use. I made a batch of noodles this week which used half a dozen, and I am able to give plenty to family members. But I’d love to hear how others use eggs when they have them in abundance.

Do you have another way to preserve eggs? Or a favorite recipe that uses a lot of eggs? Or even a use other than eating them? I’d love to hear your ideas!

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  12:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Our unseasonable weather is fooling the hens.
Lemon meringue pies, a big batch of chili rellenos for a potluck, egg nog, deviled eggs, angel food cake, and my favorite - pickled eggs.
They can be preserved by coating with butter or lard and kept in a cool place or by pudding in a crock of sodium silicate. Lehmans sells sodium silicate.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  03:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Like Judith I like pickled eggs. I use the pickle juice from pickled beets.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  05:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you asked about this, Sara. My freezer is chock full of eggs - I did as you did! My cousin and I were just discussing this yesterday - I have to do something with all those eggs! I love your suggestion of noodles! Never even crossed my mind! Thank you! Maybe I can start working on that this weekend! Looking forward to everyone's ideas - Judith' s nd Sara's are great! I was thinking I might also just do a huge cupcake baking spree and donate to the church for their fish fry dessert table! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 22 2020 05:57:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  06:09:46 AM  Show Profile
The lemon meringue pie sounds wonderful and I do have a lot of lemons now. Would be great with Sunday supper. Our family favorite is black bottomed, with a thin layer of unsweetened chocolate on the crust.

And I’ve never tried pickled eggs so I guess that should be my new experiment for February.

I’ve also thought of making up a pile of crepes and freeze those for quick meals.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  07:18:44 AM  Show Profile
I scramble a few dozen and make breakfast burritos. I wrap them individually in foil sheets and freeze them. Perfect for busy mornings and quick to reheat. I also freeze ziplock bags full of scrambled eggs that can be quickly thawed and reheated. I occasionally scramble and feed back to the chickens for an extra boost of protein in their diet. Egg custard is always a treat. A pavlova or meringue cookies are good as well. Sponge and chiffon cake help use up some of my extra eggs.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  08:25:05 AM  Show Profile
I never really thought about scrambling them and freezing them Julie but I'm game to try that! We give our extras away to the Christian Mission folks and to the wildlife sanctuary for the rehabilitation of their critters and birds.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  11:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Those are great ideas! I like the idea of feeding them back to the chickens but hadn’t really thought about how to do that. Scrambling is a perfect easy solution.

I have a funny, selfish response to excess eggs that I don’t have about other excess produce from the farm. Maybe it’s because I constantly spend money to feed the chickens. But I’m just not as likely to want to give them away. I feel like I have a duty to make them part of our food resources. I also enjoy the challenge of searching for new uses, so thanks for the ideas!

Julie, I think I’ll try your breakfast burrito in the freezer idea!
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I usually add a sprinkle of cheese and a little bacon, ham or sausage to them as well and scrambling them in bacon grease makes them extra yummy.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  06:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I usually add a sprinkle of cheese and a little bacon, ham or sausage to them as well and scrambling them in bacon grease makes them extra yummy.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Custard, it uses a lot of eggs and is a nice evening T.V. watching treat. I like using fruit toppings, and of course cinnamon. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much all you Farm Sisters! These are great suggestions!

Today I processed about four dozen eggs. I made three quarts of pickled eggs, something I’ve never done. I used a recipe I found online which uses only sliced onions, pepper flakes and vinegar over the boiled eggs, let them sit for a week before eating. They sound like food my crew will love!
Then I made a breakfast blueberry and sour cream French toast casserole which used 8 eggs. That will go to my daughter’s house where she and hubby just arrived home with my fifth grandchild, a 9 lb. 5 oz boy! It’s always fun to do something new on a leap day, and I did two new things: pickled eggs and sat under a newborn!

(I still have more than 5 dozen eggs in the house! Looks like tomorrow I’ll be freezing scrambled eggs!)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  03:44:39 AM  Show Profile
I sell extra eggs to my neighbors. They love farm fresh so much better then store bought. Though there have been a few times I had so many I pitched them. Oh the horror! lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  06:57:50 AM  Show Profile
My neighbors love it when I post on Facebook that I have extra eggs for sale. Doesn't take long for them to disappear. I keep a can in my cupboard that is just for egg money, much like my grandma did. I have decided when it is full I am going to buy a want for my kitchen. I am leaning towards an Excalibur dehydrator so I need to sell a few more eggs.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Julie that’s an awesome solution! Way to recapture your investment in those ladies. I don’t do Facebook but I suppose I could find some other way to get the word out to my neighbors.

That’s an exciting piece of equipment to add to your kitchen! My dehydrator was one of the first homesteading tools I purchased, probably over 25 years ago, and it’s still humming along for me today!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  08:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I sell them, give them away, and make lots of quiche!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  7:55:31 PM  Show Profile
We tried our first batch of pickled eggs today. They were good, but I guess I was expecting a more elevated flavor, more of a punch. I’ll have to test some alternate recipes to find the flavor I’m looking for.
What’s your favorite?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2020 :  04:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I like to use pickled beet juice either home canned or from the store. I have a jar of store pickle beets in the fridge and 4 of my sister's banty eggs. Will pickle the eggs this week after I eat the beets. My favorite pickled eggs are made with banty eggs.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Why Banties Sara? Because they are smaller?
My first batch was made of duck eggs which wasn’t the best idea because of their tendency to get rubbery if not cooked right.

I did put a couple eggs in the leftover pickle brine from my dilly beans. I haven’t tried those yet.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  11:40:50 PM  Show Profile
I see Sherone’s post about powdered eggs. That’s a new idea about what to do with too many eggs. I may explore that as well!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  11:43:10 PM  Show Profile
I also tucked four boiled eggs into the brine of my refrigerator pickled onions combined with the brine of some rosemary pickled beets. A week or so will tell how they turned out!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2020 :  03:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Sara I like the banty eggs because they are smaller. I like pickle beets but prefer small servings.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  3:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Julie. We make breakfast burritos with eggs. But we wrap ours in Saran Wrap first before the foil. They make a really yummy breakfast and are super easy to make. Plus we put bacon, onions, and peppers in the burrito too.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  2:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Why the saran wrap first? How do you reheat?

quote:
Originally posted by MaryJanesNiece

I agree with Julie. We make breakfast burritos with eggs. But we wrap ours in Saran Wrap first before the foil. They make a really yummy breakfast and are super easy to make. Plus we put bacon, onions, and peppers in the burrito too.

Krista

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Today I froze 18 duck eggs. With the isolations and food hoarding at the stores, I decided to plan ahead and preserve what I have today. Each duck egg has the protein of 3 chicken eggs, and who knows if I’ll be short on protein in a couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  7:16:23 PM  Show Profile
How are you freezing eggs?

quote:
Originally posted by saram

Today I froze 18 duck eggs. With the isolations and food hoarding at the stores, I decided to plan ahead and preserve what I have today. Each duck egg has the protein of 3 chicken eggs, and who knows if I’ll be short on protein in a couple of weeks.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you do with excess eggs? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page