saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  09:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Betty, this state shut down has had me a bit distracted!

To freeze eggs you beat them, add a pinch of either salt or sugar and pour them into oiled or silicone containers. For the duck eggs, because they are so large, I beat each one separately and poured them into muffin tins. I will have set the tin in a shallow pan of hot water to remove them. I prefer using a silicone mold I found at Marshall’s which is for making bourbon rocks (I think that’s just a much larger than normal ice cube, so it doesn’t melt as fast into your bourbon.) each of the six cells can hold 2 chicken eggs and they pop right out of the pliable mold. A regular plastic ice cube tray also works well.
When doing chicken eggs I usually beat a dozen together and pour them equally into 12 small containers and call each container an egg. One ice cube egg equals one whole egg for example.
The texture after freezing is different but they work great in baked goods.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  09:18:47 AM  Show Profile
Lately, with a strict stay at home order in place across California and crazy people hoarding more food than they need, my over abundance of eggs has become a valuable commodity for my extended family. Apparently eggs is one of the things the stores can’t restock fast enough. (I can’t attest to this, as I am strictly staying out of stores to protect my elderly mother.) last weekend I gave away seven dozen eggs to five different family members. We are so blessed to have so much extended family so close by, and we are all finding ways to work together, even tho apart, to meet each family’s needs. So my dilemma about what to do with excess eggs has suddenly turned around into a blessing!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes Sara, sharing your eggs is a blessing for your family and you. We don't give to get back but it does open the windows of heaven to rain blessings down on us.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 25 2020 09:21:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  1:51:36 PM  Show Profile
We do not have a stay at home order yet, but most are doing it anyway to help contain this nasty virus. I have changed my egg deliveries to our older population in our neighborhood. They are afraid to go to town and when they do there is a limit on everything, so I have been leaving eggs for them on their doorstep or in their mailbox when they need them. I attach a note and a couple of chocolates to make their day a little brighter.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  10:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Julie, you have made my day! Thank you for sharing that wonderful story of generosity!
I’m glad your community has decided to voluntarily self-isolate. I really believe that made a difference in contagion rate for my community. We are on day 14 now, and we have heard of only 2 cases in our area, and that couple went on a cruise. Meanwhile I vacillate between panic and confidence that we are succeeding, depending on who I listen to. Somewhere between those to poles is equilibrium and calm, but I think I’m finally getting accustomed to this new norm and putting myself into a healthy mindset.

If I weren’t the sole contact for my elderly mother, I’d be out doing happy things like you are doing! You are an angel to those neighbors! I hope you inspire many others to do the same. God bless you!
Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2020 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
I like to make Scotch eggs with them. It's pretty time consuming to make them, but great on the backside! Hardboil the eggs. Peel them and roll through flour. Cover the egg with sausage (1/4-1/3 inch). Roll the sausage egg in scrambled eggs, and then in seasoned bread crumbs (I always add panko for crispiness, salt and pepper, and sometimes light Italian spices). You can freeze them like this (and cook later)- or you can go ahead and fry in a dutch oven or fryer (I have not tried air frying yet!). Freeze as desired. They re-heat well in the toaster oven (microwave with caution) These are protein packed breakfast on the go treats

It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2020 :  3:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Scotch eggs are yummy but they add to my backside :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  11:25:20 PM  Show Profile
I recently discovered instructions for salt preserving egg yolks. Absolutely amazing, beautiful and bizarre! You divide the eggs, drop each yolk on a tray covered with a thick layer of salt, then cover completely with more salt. Put the tray in the fridge for about a week, then remove them—they are firm enough to handle here. Then place each yolk on a piece of cheesecloth, separated by enough space to tie a string between them. Let this string of yolks air dry another week and then they are ready. They are used as a delicacy, grated over foods like Parmesan cheese. I MUST try this soon!
Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  06:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
Sara- that DOES sound interesting!!

~D
Farmgirl Sister #8125
It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you do with excess eggs? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page