danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2020 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Lots of questions today. As I am trying to learn to make even more of the items my family likes to eat, frozen potato wedges are on the list to learn. I would rather spend a few hours making several batches of something, then to go to the store for a preservative filled food. My question, has anyone made them with good results? Should I wash- quarter- apply spices- bake and freeze and then rebake to eat? Not bake the first time? I seriously don’t know where to start on this one.

Thank you
Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2020 :  3:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, I think Julie, "Treelady", posted she has frozen potato wedges. Hope she reads your posts and replies.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile
HI Danyel, potatoes wedges are very easy to make and wonderful to have on hand for a quick meal. Wash, quarter, toss in oil of your choice (I like coconut or olive oil)season, bake until almost done and flash freeze. To reheat just heat your oven to 400 and heat until hot and crispy. I use my air fryer most of the time to reheat and crisp up, you can also put them under your broiler for a minute or two to get crisp.

These are so much better and cheaper than boughten ones.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Mar 03 2020 06:50:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  09:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Handy tip! Thanks for sharing Julie, and thanks for bringing it up Danyel. I’ll be trying that method soon.

And Danyel, you might want to take the time to read through the many many pages al these amazing farmgirl sisters have posted on topics like what are you freezing, what are you drying, what are you canning and more. I’ll guarantee they make you see the unlimited ways you can help provide for your family, including many things you’d never thought of. My household and daily life are transformed since I started learning on this chat room! More and more of my pantry is filled with homemade or home preserved foods, and it gives me such a positive boost to my self esteem. Thanks all you ladies out there!
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie “ tree lady”, thank you Sara! I will be making some either Wednesday or Thursday, so excited to try them.
My family will be so pleased if I can make them turn out ! I hear what your saying Sara, i have such a feeling of accomplishment when I can pull a meal or dessert together and know what is in it. There are so many good conversations in here. Some are really many pages long. I have been reading a few at a time.

Thank you again
Blessings
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  10:15:53 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about the wedges. Do you use baking potatoes Julie or is there another kind that you prefer that hold up better for the process? By flash freeze I'm thinking you mean separated on a baking sheet, freezing and then packaging? I never knew if that is what is meant by flash freezing. Just something I always did.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  1:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I just use what ever I have on hand Denis, but I prefer a baking potato, such as a russet. Us, that is what I meant by flash freeze.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  1:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would mention here, do you have an air fryer? Potato wedges cook evenly, crisply and fast in the air fryer. I love making them in mine these days.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  5:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Julie do you have to use more oil in the air fryer than what is already put on the wedges for pre cooking to freeze?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezer potato wedges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page