YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  2:17:58 PM  Show Profile
I received a new cookbook today from Thrift Books. Dori Sanders' Country Cooking. Flipping through the book one recipe caught my eye 'corncob jelly'. I make corncob broth so why not corncob jelly. "I need to put it on my list of what I want to try this year," I told myself. So it's now on the list. If you have made this jelly let us know what you thought about it.

During the time of 'house arrest' it'll be a good time for us to look ahead and when we come across a new preserving recipe to put it on our list of what we want to try this year. Lists may be for canning, drying, freezing, or any other way you preserve food. Let us know as you add to your list.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Back when I was in FFA, a girl brought in some corn cob jelly. It was a pretty red color, and tasted very good. I believe she used home grown, field corn cobs. She too lived on a farm. I have never tried to make it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  4:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Michelle good to know you have had some and it was good. The recipe did say it wasn't a pretty color and suggested dying it yellow. I think I would like red or orange better.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  5:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I've heard of corncob jelly but never had it. I've made cornsilk tea so maybe it would taste kind of like that. It was good; had a nice mild corny flavor.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  9:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Judith never heard of cornsilk tea. Please share the recipe. I have read about the fungus that grows on corn that is edible. I think I would really have to know what I was doing to try the fungus.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  11:46:12 PM  Show Profile
My husband’s family came from Mexico where that black fungus is a delicacy. I don’t know which I’d try first, corn fungus or pigs feet!

The corn jelly sounds good!

I’ve already tried some isolation firsts. I canned oranges last week. It seems silly in my climate, when I can pick an orange from my tree almost any month of the year. But there are years when a freeze ruins the whole crop, or conditions make them all drop. So who knows, maybe I’ll enjoy the canned fruit next September when temperatures are in the 100’s and the new orange crop is still four months out. If not, well, I can say I did it!

Also on my list, candied lemon slices, lemon gum drops, orange marmalade, lemon curd and salt cured egg yolks!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile
OOOOO sounds good! I love all kinds of interesting jellies.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I think I'll pass on the black corn fungus. It may be ergot, which can cause hallucinations and death. There used to be a migraine medicine made from it that my doctor prescribed. It made me sicker than a dog and didn't do much for the migraine either. It's also used to make medication to make the uterus contract. They gave me that after my third child was born and it worked so well that they had to knock me out due to the pain it caused. I didn't need any meds before the birth but I sure did after.

Corn silk tea -- I just dried the corn silk and used it to make tea in the normal way. You have to use silk from plants that have not had any pesticides or other chemicals used on them during the growing process. Organic.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile
What an interesting discussion about corn cob jelly and corn silk tea!! Both are new to me but it sounds interesting and no doubt very good.

Sara, I love those old cookbooks for the very reason you just shared. It is a little piece of history to learn about how people used all of their produce to make tasty things with them. Thanks for sharing and let us know if you continue to find old timey recipes that catch your eye.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  3:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Winnie since you like old cookbooks too I recommend Dori Sanders' Country Cooking. Along with recipes she tells stories of growing up on the farm she still lived on at the time her cookbook was published in 1995. I got my copy on-line from Thrift Books.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, I love the looks of that one! Gonna get a copy. I'm especially fond of the cookbooks with a backstory.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I think you will find it's the type of book you pick up - open to any page - and an hour later you're still reading or maybe re-reading a special story.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Put it on the List Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page