katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Whoot Whoot,,, our new Water Well is going in..
When we bought this little 14ac Ranchette.. we signed an agreement that we could stay attached to the neighbors Well for 5years... Our plan was to sink the Well in 2022.. but,, the Well Fairies were watching over us,, and made our plans come sooner! Wahoo!
The guys Drill on Friday,, and then the following week,, all the 'equipment/pump/stuff' gets installed and hooked up...
We are tickled pink...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on May 04 2020 7:44:13 PM

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  03:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace---why did the well fairies give you your well sooner? I know that sharing water do get tedious. We had a joint spring at our old house on Flat Top mountain and it was s pain for sure. The co-owners were old and one time they had a leak for weeks and weeks and we would have to plug up their line to get enough water for a bath. But they would not believe they had a leak---then one day I saw him digging in the field and we had water after that---but he never would admit that they had a leak. Own that water Girl and enjoy. I get pleasure knowing that my spring a few miles away and other Flat Top springs feed our creek---so I own the water after all. LOL>

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Grace happy your well is going in. I grew up with well water and I remember it was always cool even on hot summer days.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  09:17:53 AM  Show Profile
HG56,, we are paying cash for the Well,, no loans.. don't want to be in debt.. It took 2 1/2 years to accrue the $22.000 for the cost of the Well...
This house was part of a joint family property. The dad bought the origonal 40 ac,, gave 5 to one daughter and 20 to the other..
One well was put in to be shared by all 3...
Daughter on 5ac s sold and moved outta state. The 3rd owner put in the 7gal Well on it. So that left Daughter on 20ac.. which is where the Well is, because she built her house 1st...
Sells contract says we have 5 years to put a Well in,, we are happy to be able to get it in sooner.
Lots of scrimping and saving made it possible to get it in sooner.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  12:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Grace -- Hooray for you! I don't believe in debt either; it's one of the major things wrong in this country. If you want something save the money for it. Having your own well gives a sense of security. I miss not having our own now but we live in town so must trust the town to provide.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  4:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Yep.. I like being Debt free.. well except for the car....
Not having a mortgage is the best... The car will be paid off in 3 more years... but we will probably be buying a new tractor after that.. so then there will be a Tractor payment instead of a car payment.. oh well...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile
I can not believe a well costs that much. Good thing we have a spring here or the cost of a well would have sunk us for sure. Use that water like it is going out of style.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Grace, your discipline is inspirational and impressive! Out of curiosity, how deep did the well go before hitting water? Have you had your water tested yet? If so, how were your numbers, will you need to add a filter or water softener? I only ask because we are looking for some land in the Washington coast area.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile
The Drillers com on Friday to drill... so we will know all the particulars then.. but since the neighbor on one side is at 135ft and the other neighbor is at 85ft,, we are hoping we won't have to sink it more then 165ft.. The approximate guess on price is based on the depth and pump motor size..at 200ft.. so if it is less,, that will bring down the cost a bit.
We will be putting in a "Whole House' filtration system,, due to the high sedimentary concentration around here,, parts of the soil is sandy loam and part granite..
We haven't decided on a water softener system,, our daughter has one.. the nice thing about water softeners is you don't get heavy wear-n-rear on you plumbing like you do with hard water..

about once every 4-5 months I have to clean out the toilet water tank, to get rid of the sand that accumulates in it as well as the rust staining on the inside of the tank.. but that is just an inherent problem up here in this area,, I am sure not all of WA has that issue.

Judith, I have heard Vancouver is a lovely area, and just near the boarder of Portland OR... so yo have the best of both worlds/states...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Hope all goes smoothly on Friday, Grace!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  6:07:03 PM  Show Profile
We have had well water here for 45 years. No one else ever lived on this property. Can you believe that. When we moved here my Mom and Dad did their house, and their well. The driller went down a bit too far and got sulfur water. She lived with it. When they passed we put a water system in and got rid of the sulfur.We rent that one out now. Our house has the most delicious water you have ever tasted. I love it. We live 1800 feet off the road. No way we could afford to hook up to the water main . There wasn't one when we moved here anyway. It was $3,500 to drill the well 45 years ago, I guess the prices went up for sure!! Depends om how far they have to go down to hit the water too. Maybe you will be lucky and they won't have to go down too far!

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  07:33:57 AM  Show Profile
How exciting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  8:12:30 PM  Show Profile
'Well',, (no pun intended).. the drillers surprised us by showing up this morning.. in stead of tomorrow..
That was the good news...

but... now the bad news...
they hit sandy loam, then Basalt and then clay.. so here we are,, at 220ft,, with only 1 gal p/m...
Going to start again tomorrow... if we don't hit water by 300ft we will have to go to plan-B... what is plan-B... heck if I know... most likely drill in a different spot.. what the heck! it's only money!!!
And yes,, my refreshing beverage of choice this evening is.. a.. Gin & Tonic and a pan of fresh baked brownies..!
I deal with my stress different from most people! lololol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  11:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Well rats! Unfortunately well drilling isn't an exact science. Maybe you need to find a nice forked willow stick..... or have another G&T and the rest of the pan of brownies. Good luck tomorrow.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, again, no pun intended... lolk!
We have hired a Geologist dude ,, he actually has a fancy title,, but I can't remember it... any way,, he does a geological survey using a couple of methods, including a device/scanner thingy machine that sort of does an x-ray of the earths layers on our property, he'll actually be able to view the layers and define the sandy loam, basalt and clay layers..
And then the guy that did the witching will also re-witch... we are determined to find water... it's here, we just need to hit the right spot.
So keep your fingers crossed for us...

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on May 12 2020 11:42:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh no! That really stinks. Hoping the third time is the charm!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile
yeppers,, we have our fingers, hearty, eyes crossed,, heck, I am even wearing my "Playtex-Cross your heart'' Bra!!!
lol!,, for those of us who remember that commercial...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  4:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your well! So, so important!

Keep shining!
Natalie

"Ask what makes you come alive and go do it." ~Howard Thurman
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope everything works out for you and that your guys can find you some water. Good luck. My fingers are crossed for you as well!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  5:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, my fingers crossed too!
The Geologist dude will be here next week,, because of all our rains, it has put him behind schedule ....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - May 15 2020 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope everything works out for you and that your guys can find you some water. Good luck. My fingers are crossed for you as well!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 16 2020 :  10:12:35 AM  Show Profile
"Well" the Geo Dude is here,, scanning our 14 ac... to find the best source of water...
We do have water,, its just,,, where on the 14ac...
So, continue to keep your fingers crossed for us...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 16 2020 :  8:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Fingers crossed!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  1:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I think my iPad has gone crazy. I definitely didn’t repost the same thing 2 days late lol. Sorry Grace! Fingers are still crossed for you!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  05:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Gosh Grace, what a frustrating situation finding a useable water site. Who knew it was so complicated? I sure hope they have success soon because I know the longer the company is there working, the faster the bill climbs up! Keeping my fingers crossed they will have success soon and you can finally have the water source your need on your own land.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  3:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Here is the conundrum,,, the Dad bought 40ac,, and gave 5ac to one daughter and 20 to the other and he kept the middle 15 ac which we bought (minus 1 1/2ac)... the 'family well' is on the daughter with 15 ac property,(paid for by the dad), and all 3 homes share that well.. The daughter with 5 ac sold and moved away.. so the current owner put his own well in, to disconnect himself from the current sister as we are trying to do.. The dad passed away,, that's how we bought the property, from the daughter with the 20ac.. and she is becoming a real night mare.. We have a legal binding contract, with full disclousers,, that we 'co-own' with shared interest in the well on her property,, Now she wants to charge us for water and has threatened to shut the water off to our property if I water one more plant.... Which she legally can not do as we own 1/2 the well.. She is nuttier then squirrel poop and getting nuttier by the day.. the neighbor that bought the other property said that is why he put his own well in.. she was driving him crazy with her crazy behavior.
She is in her mid 70's, never married and gives new meaning to 'penny pincher-tight wade.. I swear,, she wears the same pair of pink pants every day,, and now she is ironing on those iron on patches..
I have tried to be very nice to her and bit my tongue to many times when she hs made snarky comments to me... I chalk it up to her being an unhappy camper.... but the sooner we get our Well in the sooner I do not have to deal with her.. which is sad because I don't want to be like that...

Breath,,,,, Grace, Breath....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Well Going In.. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page