GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  12:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I apologize if there is already a topic out there, I searched and could not find what I was looking for. I would like to try fermenting veggies, like carrots, green beans, onions and others. I have looked at a few sites but I always find experience of others is the best teacher, so hoping I will get some good ideas and advice. The sites I look at want to push special equipment, self burping lids and specific containers. I would like to use things I have on hand to begin. Thanks for advice on getting started.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  2:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I tried it with Brocolli I have to say NOT a fan,It was smelly very Salty and we couldn't/wouldn't eat it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  2:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sorry you had a bad experience. Anyone else, I'm thinking carrots or onions to start.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  4:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Gail, I am a huge fan. Here is a link to a thread on here (on the second page)
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77265&whichpage=9
Also, I love Shannon Stongers book "Traditionally Fermented Foods"
And, the You Tube channel "Off Grid with Doug and Stacy". If you go to their site, and search fermenting, you should see quite a few videos. They ferment a ton, due to being off grid, as well as all of the healthy benefits in ferments. And some of them show their outdoor kitchen; I am so jealous!
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Lisa, I will check it out. I'll post back here when I get started, hopefully it will be to share my success.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  8:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the useful information Lisa! All I have tried is Sauerkraut and have been making it for a few years now. I know fermenting food is good for the gut but didn't really know where to start.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  8:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Jana, I watched a few of the Doug and Stacy youtube videos, very good.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  9:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gail, will do!

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
Lisa thanks for the heads up on the book. I ordered it from Thrift Books yesterday. It's new but I didn't have to pay S&H so it's okay. I sorta got out of the mood to ferment after some failures so maybe this book will get me back on tract.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Gail, glad you like Doug and Stacy. Did you happen to see their great outdoor kitchen with the robin's egg blue cabinets? Such a great space. Stacy is so cute and oh so fit!
Sara, my favorites out of Shannons books are her salsa, pizza green beans, and raw fermented marinara sauce, among many others. In the back of her book it describes the author, all of her accolades, and that she lives off grid with 5 kids (I think they on on #7 now). But I get the biggest kick on the last line which says "her kitchen is almost always a mess." lol I love that she admits that.
I need to order another copy too, mine got wet and all of the pages are stuck together. I'll check out Thrift Books. Tired of giving too much business to Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, yes, I did see the outdoor kitchen. Today I am starting with fermenting carrots adding a little dill weed and garlic. Starting small while I figure this out and get more comfortable with the process. I watched Stacy do red cabbage and beets, I will try that soon, looked so good.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 23 2020 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
OK - my first ferment complete. I started this on May 12th, carrots, jicama and garlic. It is so good. Next is cauliflower and maybe some green beans. I want to try red cabbage and beets but need to find some good raw beets first.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 23 2020 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Gail your jar of carrots is beautiful. Happy fermenting.

Lisa, my book arrived yesterday and I really like thumbing through it. Will decide what I want to start with by grocery ordering day. Aldi has good fresh green beans so that may be a choice.

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 23 2020 :  09:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sara - it is so satisfying to try something new and be happy with the outcome! Thank you for your post. May daughter and son in law gather asparagus each Spring, they have many, many spots that they GPS and scour each year. They keep me well supplied, so that is going to be my next ferment. Let us know what you start with.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  05:18:21 AM  Show Profile
My order from Aldi will be delivered this morning with the zucchini to make Summer Squash Cortido from my new book. Just guessing Cortido means relish because that's what it looks like to me. Along with zucchini it has carrots; garlic; and dried oregano. All shredded or finely chopped. I like fermented relishes on sandwiches and with beans.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you are enjoying Shannon's book. To me her recipes are easy and straight forward, but she has all of the other valuable info about fermenting in there as well. The photos are nice too.
I just noticed the recipe for soured corn a few pages later.
Never tried that, but out IGA has some nice sweet corn 4 for $1. Might try with a couple ears.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  09:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I saw that recipe the first day I had the book. I'm not able to eat corn but even if I could I don't know whether I would try it or not. I think it's the name - soured corn - reminds me of sour pickles that pucker my jaws. If you do try it let us know how you like it.

Zucchini is here and the shopper did a good job choosing them for me. They're firm and beautiful just like I like them.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile
CARROTS, JICAMA AND GARLIC! YUM!

You know I have been wanting a recipe to make those spicy carrots like you find in the Mexican restaurants. They are usually out with the serve yourself salsas. Yum, they are so good but I haven't had any luck finding a good recipe.

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  05:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, the carrots may be pickled with jalapeno peppers. Some can jalapeno peppers have carrots too.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 28 2020 05:08:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, I will look on you tube to see if I can find a recipe. :)

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2020 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sampled my second round of ferment today. I did a quart jar of cauliflower, onions and garlic chives and another of red beets and a little left over cauliflower. The cauliflower and onions were good a little salty, next time (and there will be a next time) I will use a little less salt. This time I used 2 Tablespoons of salt to a quart of water. The cauliflower and beets are such a beautiful color, the cauliflower is very good, the beets are crunchy and good, just would have liked them just a little softer. They are not like a sweet pickled beet, I did not use sugar. Next is asparagus. I was waiting until I was a little more comfortable, I didn't want to waste asparagus. Anyone else trying anything?

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  07:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Started a batch of green tomato relish this morning - one quart - one lg green tomato - one small cucumber - one small red onion - fresh Syrian oregano - fresh lemon thyme - black pepper corns - kosher salt - and a handful of oak leaves.

Two things I learned from my new Traditionally Fermented Foods by Shannon Stonger:

Add handful of oak leaves or other leaves that have tannin. Not used in all of her recipes. The one recipe with oak leaves I have made is for kosher dill pickles. They are still fermenting. Haven't found out the rationale for using tannin containing leaves. Other sources for tannin are: grape; horseradish; mesquite; etc. Tea has tannin I wonder if that would work. Any ideas on why to use leaves with tannin?

If you want to ferment relish leave the veggies in hunks to ferment then chop to size when you want relish - keeps little pieces from floating above the weight.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Talked with my sister who has canned for years and she said "grape leaves make the pickles crisper".

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Grape leaves, oak leaves or horseradish leaves. I've even read bay leaves and tea bags, but I think those might alter the flavor.
I just did a batch of dill fermented cukes, and a batch of carrots, spring onions, carrots, cukes and crushed red pepper. They are SOOO good.
I usually use oak leaves, but couldn't find any decent green ones, so did horseradish this time. Turned out fine, but I think the shinier surface of the oak leaves will hold up better over time. Next time I will glean oak leaves from the tree up the road. I have even been know to freeze oak leaves for winter ferments.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Lisa you have given me another reason to grow horseradish. I've never given it a try but have wanted to. Is it hard to grow? Is it like growing garlic which I grow? Your veggies sound so yummy.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Not hard to grow, and it will spread. Mine is in a 5 gallon bucket. After I harvest, I just stick a bit of the root back in the bucket and it will take off for the next year. I wouldn't mind having a bit more than I do though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fermenting Vegetables Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page