Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Cast Iron... which pieces do you use most?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron... which pieces do you use most? Next Topic  

ModFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Marie
North Dakota
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!
I have never used cast iron, but would like to start.
Which size of pan should be my first? A 10 inch or a 12 inch?? Perhaps I’m making this more intimidating than it has to be, but I know I came to the right place with my question.
What do you all use the most when it comes to cast iron cookware?

Thank you!

~Marie

www.DustySageBoutique.com

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  08:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I use my 10" pan the most. It is a good size for most everything I make. I do have numerous sizes of pan and some are for other purposes but as for skillets I would say 10" is a good size to start with. If you have a large family 12" might be better suited to that.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 09 2020 08:48:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marie, I see you are new to the Farm - Welcome!

I have a 9" skillet I received as a wedding gift in 1964. The marriage didn't last but I still have that skillet and it makes the best fried potatoes & cornbread. It's so well-seasoned it's non-stick.

I have three enameled cast iron Dutch ovens - 5 qt - 3 qt - & 1 1/2 qt
I use them all the time.

Size will depend on the size of meals you prepared. I cook for one so my needs are different than let's say a family of four.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have a 10 and 12, love the larger for cornbread and fried chicken. I also have a small one, about 5 or 6 inch, love it for fried eggs. I have a Dutch Oven, but rarely use it, I am widowed and mainly cooking for one. Love my cast iron!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile
My most used cast iron are the 6 and 9 inch skillets. When I was feeding a crop of teenagers the 12 inch was used the most. We also have several dutch ovens of various sizes, muffin pans, corn stick pans, bean pots, and waffle irons. DH is a cast iron collecting fanatic. I have one 10 inch fry pan that my grandmother got in 1906 when she got married -- it still works great.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a 10" cast iron skillet. That's the heaviest I can lift with one hand. I also have a cast iron mini cake pan. I love using them both and they do a terrific job. My pan was pre-seasoned and is made by Nordic Ware. Good luck figuring out which size works best for you.

Dawn in IL

Roses are red, violets are blue, even 6 feet away I still miss you!
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  8:16:57 PM  Show Profile
I use my 6" everyday for breakfast and my 9 inch most days. I love my Dutch ovens and like Sara I wouldn't want to be without them.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ModFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Marie
North Dakota
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2020 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for the help! I appreciate it! I bought a 10” one, once it’s just my husband and I so far. Can’t wait to give it a try!

~Marie

www.DustySageBoutique.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Marie,
I meant to mention in my post that MaryJane has a great book for cast iron. It's on the shopping site.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  03:04:27 AM  Show Profile
I have an assortment of frying pans, different sizes. We use them for everything. I also have a couple dutch ovens and my outdoor dutch ovens. The first cast iron I would recommend is a frying pan 10 inch. You can use that from pie making to frying and everything inbetween.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  12:17:22 PM  Show Profile
The 10 inch is great for cornbread and cobbler too.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2020 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I have three sizes that belonged to my Mom and I use them all for various things. I love my cast iron cookware because it does such a great job! I also have a dutch oven that I don't use as often, but it is there whenever I need it.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2020 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I just used my Dutch oven to deep fry trout last night! I like to fry in it because it's deep and there's less oil splatter because of the high wall! I just realized this! LoL! I use my 12" 10" or 8" almost daily. I only use my Stainless Steel and cast iron. Crockpots with crock not nonstick lining too.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm fairly new to MJF and ran across this topic. Cast iron, oh my . . . Color me very fortunate to have inherited my grandmother's cast iron when my dad passed away. He was born in 1896, so that will give you an idea about how old this stuff is. It resided in an old box and made several moves with us over the years. Most recently to northern Idaho where it languished under many layers of farm dust in our barn. Then I happened upon Mary Jane's wonderful "Cast Iron Kitchen" book which inspired me to give Grandma's cast iron new life. It was a daunting chore to restore it but such a rewarding one. The photo only shows the frying pans and griddle not the cornstick/muffin tins and dutch ovens. I am blessed and use it often especially to make some of my dad's favorites like fried apples or hash from leftover roast beef. I usually take delightful little trips down memory lane when I'm cooking with it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Jean what a beautiful collection of cast iron. Love the way you display them.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Marie - I use my great grandma's Griswold Skillet 9. It measures about 11" inside and it is perfect for everything from chops to roasts to cornbread to spaghetti sauce (although tomatoes are not recommended in a cast iron pan, we have made our sauce in it for generations with no problem). I even steam veggies in it. My foster daughter bought me a supplemental 10" Lodge skillet last year, which I use right alongside the Griswold regularly. BUT my go-to is the 11" Griswold.

How are you enjoying your new pan? I hope you're loving it!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  1:01:24 PM  Show Profile
We have a big griddle from my grandparents that span two burners. We cook outside on an old 1920's range and make plenty of eggs and things for us and our doggie guests. That griddle is the best cooking vessel we have.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron... which pieces do you use most? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page