Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 National Dairy Month Giveaway! Winner Chosen!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic National Dairy Month Giveaway! Winner Chosen!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  10:03:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I am excited to tell you that our MaryJane is offering a copy of her Milk Cow Kitchen book as a Giveaway during our celebration of June as National Dairy Month!

Whether you own cows, want to own cows, or would love to learn how to make cheese and use dairy products in your recipes, this book has it ALL!! Even if you are a Farmgirl living in the suburbs, Milk Cow Kitchen is full of so many interesting recipes, how to own a backyard cow, and all sorts of projects using milk and milk products. I love this book and have read it several times. It is also a go to manual for lots of new recipe inspirations as well. If you have never tried the recipes from MJF magazine or her books, I can tell you that they are all delicious and they work. She carefully tests all of her recipes in her kitchen with her main cook, Ashley Ogle, until they are perfection.

I hope lots of you will toss your hat in the ring and sign-up. Please leave a note when you add your name about any experiences you have with cows, dairy farm visits, experiments making cheese or any cow/milk related stories. I will make sure to tell MaryJane to stop by to read all of your comments.. This is the third year we have been doing this fun giveaway and it is always fun to read here about your Farmgirl experiences and support of our National Dairy Month. Now, I am trying to resist breaking into that Vanilla ice cream in the freezer!! LOL!!

Winner will be selected on June 25!

I am excited to announce that Hannah, GinngBelle, was chosen today as the winner of our Milk Cow Kitchen cookbook!! Congratulations, Hannah!! Please email me your mailing address so that I can forward it on to MJF for mailing. I know you are going to enjoy this fun and detailed collection of all things cow related!! There are so many wonderful recipes and all sorts of how-to make sections.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 25 2020 10:23:54 AM

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Don't resist Winnie - it's dairy month - you're supposed to eat the icecream LOL!! Thanks for hosting the giveaway - I also highly recommend this book.

I have so many experiences I don't know where to start. I grew up on a dairy farm and my husband and I dairy farm now. I'll post a picture and maybe after reading others experiences I'll have a good story pop into my mind.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  4:59:27 PM  Show Profile
I have raised and milked goats but have limited experience with dairy cows. My aunt owned two when I was very small; they were friendly but I got nowhere with milking. I made cheese once with a recipe from an old Amish cookbook. It was an interesting process and turned out rather like a mild blue cheese. My next goal is to make feta as I eat a lot of it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  7:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm not throwing my name in the pot; I just want to say that this is a very interesting book. I won the giveaway a year or two ago and love reading through the book and learning about making cheese. One of these days I will try it.

We still have 3 low-line cows - they are about 2/3 the size of a regular cow and are not for producing milk for us.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 13 2020 05:52:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2020 :  8:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Funny,,, I was just looking at a cute "Cow" x-stitch pattern (and a Chicken one too).. hmmm, maybe I should stitch it up...
As for ice cream, cheese, yogurt and sweet unsalted butter... I can never get enough!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 12 2020 8:44:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  03:01:03 AM  Show Profile
I will throw my hat in the ring for this one. lol I grew up on a dairy farm. We have some beef cow and I do have one family milk cow, Evelyn. She is dry right now. We are really missing the good milk and all the products I make. Nothing better then fresh homemade cheese.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  04:14:12 AM  Show Profile
I have all the MJ bOOKS BUT THIS ONE. So would love to be in the drawing. I was brought up on a big farm, but no cows now. Sometimes I miss the girls, used to bring them up to the barn for milking, they would follow me along so gentle like.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  08:01:48 AM  Show Profile
When I was young and we lived in Iowa, my mom would get gallons of milk from a dairy farm. She'd put the money in a cigar box, unscrew the cap from the pipe to a milk tank and pour it in. We always got cream that rose from it too. I'd love to learn how to make cheese, to go with my wine.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

So in this world of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain, the unbalance bod,
The imperfect people and differently pawed,
Some live without love... That's how they're flawed.
Berkeley Breathed
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa,, as soon as you make cheese,, call me,, I'll bring the Wine! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile
When we lived in the country one of our nearest neighbors had a nice little Jersey cow who produced more than their family needed so they sold us milk for fifty cents a gallon. There was enough cream on that milk to also supply our butter needs. I still have my old glass churn.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  1:19:35 PM  Show Profile
I am lovin' all these fun comments to cows and cow products!! Heather, your photo is too cute!

Hehe, Vanessa and Grace, just give me a holler and I will bring some homemade crackers for the cheese!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2020 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in the city. Only saw cows at the zoo. Until I was a teenager and adult cousins invited me, my siblings & Mom to spend 2 weeks on their dairy farm. It was amazing. My cousin woke us up super early one morning because a cow was having her baby. It was incredible. We had never seen that before. I also remember taking a pitcher and going to the dairy barn to get fresh milk.

I now have a dairy loving daughter who is 19 and wants to make her own cheese. This would be awesome to win. (we now live in the country and she also wants goats!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile
I spent a several months working on an operating 1930's farm that is part of a state park near me. It was one of the greatest times of my life. One of my jobs was to demonstrate milking to the guests. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. One of the little girls in a school group actually had to show me! Haha! Luckily, the cow was very patient.

Farmgirl #6994

Sunshine Mixed With A Little Hurricane
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I personally don’t have any cow interactions other than feeding them with my husband once on the family farm or seeing them at fairs. Everleigh is currently going through a cow obsession phase and it’s adorable. The pasture behind us is full of them right now. My brother in law is going to school in food sciences and has been currently making cheese. It is by far the best cheese I have ever eaten. Sometimes I can’t contain myself lol! We have plans to get some cows in the future and I am really hoping for a Highland cow. They are just so dang adorable and call my name!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  09:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Here is the Peach Cobbler recipe from Milk Cow Kitchen. Wow, it is delicious and easy to make!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  1:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried the White Chili? I LOVE it!!!!

Our newest baby girl - about half an hour old - just hanging out with her mama.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  2:01:52 PM  Show Profile
What a sweet baby girl-- congratulations!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  3:04:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love to win this book.
My first four years were spent on a farm, with milk cows, in Knox County Texas. I will never forget how excited my mother was to get a new device called a cream seperator! I was three. She needed it because she had a newborn baby, a 14 month old toddler, and 3 year old... ME!
My grandma had two Jersey cows. She always had yummy thick cream. She sold her butter, and eggs from her hens. I remember one year watching my mother and her sisters making cottage cheese..They hung the bag on the clothes line!
When, I was grown up and married, we finally bought land far out in the country my husband decided to start a dairy. I was teaching school and had a teen aged son, but soon learned to milk those huge pretty ladies. There is something comforting about being in their midst.
Oh, this was one of my favorite times...when we put the new mommas back into the herd with their new babies...just like humans...the whole herd would gather to ooh and ahh over the newest little ones. Then the mommas were content to find their position within the herd, as the babies were taken by my husband and son to the sale or the pens to be bottle fed!
Ours was a small dairy. 100 cows. Now days the dairies in our county are huge, most run around the clock. Most milk thousands of cows and most are owned by Dutch families. They are the sweetest people.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 18 2020 3:07:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a cow memory. One day a neighbor girl (now my sweet daughter-in-law) came running over yelling "Stupid is having her baby!" So we all went out to the pasture between our houses to watch. By and by the calf hit the ground. The cow, living up to her name, looked around behind her and backed up as far as she could get. She finally did adopt the calf but it took a while.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  10:46:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, this was very unexpected! This made my day, thank you so much!

Farmgirl #6994

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Hannah!! All the MJ books are keepers. Enjoy.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  11:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Hannah,, WHoot Whoot and Congrats!
Enjoy your goodies... and do feel free to try your hand at the chili or cobbler and share with us!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Jun 25 2020 11:38:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Hannah!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  1:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Yea Hannah! Congratulations hon!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  3:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Yay Congratulations Hannah! You are going to love this book.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  4:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, ladies!
Grace, I will surely post pics when I try something. I wish I could actually share. How nice that would be!

Farmgirl #6994

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic National Dairy Month Giveaway! Winner Chosen!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page