treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  07:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Curious minds want to know! I shop every 2 to 3 weeks, depending on what is going on here on the farm. Living so far from a big grocery store I have learned to substitute a great deal. Our little store in our tiny town does have the basics, so I can always get milk or cream if I need it and during a time when shortages are common they have always had toilet paper, flour and yeast.

Do you shop online for pick-up or do you like to walk the aisles and browse?

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  07:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Julie I have my groceries delivered once a week. Once in a while I may skip a week. I shop mostly for food - Annie's dry dog food, paper goods & household supplies I get from Amazon Prime.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  10:00:34 AM  Show Profile
We do our major shopping once a month or so. We drive 15 miles up to Elk Grove to PetSmart, Trader Joe's, Fabric shop, nursery, Sprouts, etc -- all the stores we don't have here in town. In between times we have our local supermarket and there is now a Walmart nearby for milk and other things we run out of. During the virus time I stay home as much as possible. DH does the local shopping; it helps with his cabin fever and gives him a chance to stop by his friends house and play pool. "I'm going to the store for milk" he says, and comes home four hours later......

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile
For the most part I shop every two weeks stopping at the little shop for milk if I need to. I get my dog food online because Tractor Supply no longer carries it. Our stores for groceries are pretty much Aldi and Walmart.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsMath
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jessie
Florida
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile
I shop every Friday, rain or shine. Its been that way for years now.

G>^V!! #Type1Mama
"When I am overwhelmed,lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Go to Top of Page

PinkCsmtlgy
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Brandi
Martinsburg Pennsylvania
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile
I try to go only once a week but sometimes I need to go more often. And if I do go more than once a week I will go to a local Mennonite store instead of a traditional store.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile
I shop once a week, sometimes because of weather or what ever it might change a bit.
NANCY JO

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm guilty of walking down the isles and shopping Julie. Mask on, trying to keep my distance but there are plenty of the opposite people running to and fro throughout. I'm AI too. I have to be careful but I do go a couple times a week. When DH was home it was 3 times a week. I'm trying really hard to keep it down to one. Takes me 40 minutes to drive into town.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  08:21:53 AM  Show Profile
When the pandemic first started we were ordering online and picking up. Now I feel better prepared to shop.

I go to Aldi every 2 weeks - buying the same things so no list really. Walmart maybe once a month. We have a local grocery store about 20 minutes away. They're a bit pricey so I make sure I have a list and a plan. Mostly just for things I can't get at Aldi. We do have a nice produce market that is 30 minutes away that stocks produce from local farmers.

We also have a very tiny gas station/store nearby. Mostly it's for the fishermen headed to the boat launch. They too had TP & things still in stock at the beginning of the pandemic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  11:46:52 AM  Show Profile
When we were at Walmart this month I noticed they had "one way" signs on the aisles. I didn't even notice them but DH grabbed me as I started to go the wrong way.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile
I envy those of you that have an Aldi to shop at, such a lovely store. My closest one is 120 miles away, so I only make it there a few times a year. I have Walmart, but prefer our local grocery stores. Depending on how much time I have decides if I do a pick-up order or browse the aisles. I like finding new products to try. Right now my garden is producing so much, I really have no need to go to town.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  05:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Julie I only discovered Aldi this year though it's been in Paris almost as long as I have - going on nine years. I shop another store every other month or so for things Aldi doesn't carry - like wax paper.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  10:30:24 AM  Show Profile
During the spring, summer and fall, I try to grow a lot of our fresh food and supplement it with a farm fresh delivery service every other week. My husband and I shop for groceries staples about every three to four weeks, that is usually a morning run to Costco, Sams and Sprouts. Since the coronavirus we still get food every three to four weeks by ordering online through Sams and Costco for delivery and order online from Ralph's for pick up.

I have been to Aldi's but there are none close enough to shop there regularly. We do have a few Trader Joes in the area that I love, but I haven't been since the coronavirus, as they are way to busy to run through.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

Edited by - janamarieje on Jul 18 2020 08:35:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  2:41:14 PM  Show Profile
We do our shopping every week. Every Sunday I make my weekly menu and then get groceries on Monday. I use to send my husband to the store because it was to hard for me to take my 3 littles. Now I have discovered grocery pick up. That’s what I do instead. Also help with the virus and gets us out of the house for a bit in a safe way.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Only as needed

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Grocery shopping is once a week for items like milk, orange juice, bananas, spinach, and whatever is on sale, or needed. Also, shop for some things online so it is shipped to our doorstep. We keep a decently stocked pantry and freezer. Shopping takes twenty minutes, or less.

Keep shining!
Natalie

Edited by - NatChap on Jul 18 2020 12:49:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I go to the grocery store as little as possible. I buy in bulk on-line, things like rice, oatmeal, herbs & spices. At the grocery store & Target I stock up on what's on sale. When stores were running out of toilet paper I had enough for a month because that's how I shop.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How often do you grocery shop? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page