Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Hello from Southwest Michigan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Southwest Michigan Next Topic  

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  05:42:57 AM  Show Profile
My name is Julie and I live in Galesburg, Michigan with my husband, three cats, and a beagle mix - all rescues. I joined the Sisterhood and this forum and can hardly wait for my badge book and Sister number to arrive! I love everything about home-making and I'm a homesteader wannabe. I work full time and I'm also a freelance writer. Currently, I have several knitting, sewing, hand-sewing, mending, and miniature rug-hooking projects in the works but sewing masks for family and friends has been the priority. My large garden is a weedy mess and I am taking the Extension Master Gardener course through a local Extension office this fall. I love to learn and help others and I'm so glad I found the Sisterhood!

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Julie from northeast Texas. Enjoyed reading about your interest. One of our FarmGirls is a Master Gardener "TexDane" Nicole. Will be looking for you around the Farm and have fun working on Badges. As a writer you may want to check out the Inkslinger Badges under Stitching & Crafting.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  06:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie and WELCOME to our MJF chatroom community!! I am way over here in north central Florida and it is great to meet a newcomer! Enjoy your badge work and please jump in here at the Chatroom on topic links of interest and share your thoughts and ideas.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you YellowRose and Red Tractor Girl for the warm welcome! It means a lot! I'll definitely check out the Inkslinger badge and thank you for letting me know TexDane is an EMG. I did reach out to two local FG chapters but I imagine with COVID, no one is really getting together (pretty much can't in MI) and probably "zoomed out" if working outside the home. I've read several posts in various topics and this is exactly where I need to be. I'm so excited to join!
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  12:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Julie, from the upper mountains of North Carolina! I just joined in April and there is a lot here. You just have to keep exploring. I am looking forward to getting to know you. Take care.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  1:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Julie! It’s so wonderful to have you join. You are going to love the Merit Badge book and really enjoy working on them. Come join us in the Merit Badge chit chat and let us know which badges you are working on or plan to work on. I look forward to seeing you around and seeing your projects.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  04:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Julie! I'm so glad you joined us. Have fun with earning your badges. Lots to share, learn, and laugh about here.

Dawn in IL

"Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August."
Jenny Han
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  06:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello Julie and welcome to MJF from Southern California. I look forward to hearing more about your projects, skills, and life in general but I am especially looking forward to hearing more about your master gardener courses.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thank you everyone for the warm welcome - Sara, Winnie, Joan, Krista, Dawn, and Jana! Yes, I can hardly wait for the badge book and my Sister # to arrive. A tad more about me...I'm a Michigan Master Naturalist (course through Michigan State University Extension) and very earthy. I have many interests and bounce from craft projects to gardening to writing and back again. Yesterday, on my lunch hour, I went to a couple of thrift stores. I found beautiful hand-embroidered cottage scenes that were framed ($10 each). It took a while to get all the nails out of the framing but the embroidery is washed and drying (very carefully). I will re-donate the frames/glass. I spent my evening trying to track down the era and where the patterns may have come from. (Not much luck). They look between 1910-1930. This is the goofy stuff I love doing. I deeply appreciate handwork (esp. vintage) and giving it new life. I love upcycling and have made a hand-sewn wardrobe out of $3 men's t-shirts from thrift stores by following the Alabama Chanin method. That alone, could take a lifetime to really delve into. This really helped me stay balanced while raising my son (adopted from Russia) who has myriad issues. I just made it through breast cancer (surgery/radiation) seven months ago and I had a less than average chance of getting it - nothing in my family. I'm also a 3-time national champion synchronized figure skater. I was still skating (50+ years) until the breast cancer hit and had to quit. My garden is 3000 square feet and it starts out with all good intention but then the weeds (and squash vine borer) just get to be too much. Currently, I'm hand-picking off the tomato worms. I'm growing beans(they are done), carrots, leeks, beets, tomatoes, birdhouse gourds, pumpkins, cucumbers, cut flowers, herbs including a lot of catnip, lavender, and sweet Annie. I start the master gardener course at the end of this month. I collect Universal Ballerina pottery in the Woodvine pattern. Found a box of it under a table many years ago and just fell in love with it - 1940s pattern. Hard to find it now - never have seen cereal bowls. I've always lived in Michigan but my "second home" is NH where I visited my grandparents as a girl and they lived on the side of a mountain. Fishing, camping, hiking - all things I love but hardly get to do. I try to get to their graves once a year but this last year for me has been a whirlwind with cancer and job changes. All good now - working from home is nirvana and it allowed me to start the garden early in a cold frame. If I had worked at the office, I would have fried my plants. I kept a constant eye on them with a digital temp gauge. Again, so glad to be here to learn and share.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  9:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie,, welcome to the forum and have fun getting into farmgirl mischief.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  04:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Grace, thank you! So much to read through and it's all so uplifting! Glad I'm here.

Julie
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Southwest Michigan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page