Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 I think I inherited my Dads farmer gene...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I think I inherited my Dads farmer gene... Next Topic  

nurseanita
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Anita
Snohomish WA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2020 :  9:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi to all,
My dad was an auto mechanic who wanted to be a farmer. His dream died when his Mother sold the homestead outside the family. As a young man of 31 with a wife and four children while he was heartbroken for the remainder of his short life he hid it well from most of the family and friends. But not from his only daughter.

I have had a secret spot in the back of my heart for farms and farm life but have never been able to accomplish that dream in all of my 71 years. When I saw the magazine over a year ago it was like a beacon and I joined the sisterhood. Life has not allowed me to act on even the dream of "adult merit badges" since that time. I am here now to fulfill what I can of that dream. Currently I live in Snohomish, WA. where most people commute the twenty miles into Seattle or 10 or so miles to Boeing. But I am blessed that Snohomish has kept it's small town feel unlike many towns in the area. I commuted to Seattle every school day as a School Nurse for 24 years and retired in 2013. I have since been working as a Faith Community Nurse for my Church.

Most of my activities are now done by phone; that is since mid March. I am not sure when I will get back into full swing and it seems at times that it may never happen. BUT that seems to be how many of us feel, and really at least some of our numbers are starting down.

God will not let us languish in these doldrums forever of that I am certain! So time for a smile on my face, look after my refrigerator mother sort photos and make cards,scrapbooks,masks plus much more.

Nurse Anita
...may my hands do the work I was sent here to do...

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  04:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Anita from northeast Texas. Here on the Farm we all have dreams of life on a farm. I live in a small house with small yards in a town of 24,000 but I'm a FarmGirl at Heart. Hope you are able to start work on badges soon. I'll be looking for you around the Farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Anita! I'm so glad to have you join us. I hope this forum is exactly what you are looking for. I love to hear you share the same passion as your father. I learned how to grow my garden from my dad. Good luck with the merit badges! Which one will you start with? I hope to see you around.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2020 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Anita,

Welcome to the farm! You are right that things will not be this way always. Change is the only constant we can count on, which is a consolation when things are a bit funky. The beautiful thing I have found about life is the option to reinvent ourselves! Isn't that cool?! Many blessings to you!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  2:31:44 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you love a farm---I live on one and am not sure sometimes how much I love it---LOL---I do love it even through the hard work. My grandfather was a farmer and he lived on the farm salary through the twenties until the fifties and then he got social security, I learned to do gardening from my family and also how to raise chickens, The livestock was done with by the time I came along so I have a fear of cows and horses. I am not near the gardener my people were---but I try and I returned to my grandfather's old farm and renewed it. I just do the best I can and kinda live a laid back old hippie life style. Bless you and enjoy MJF---my fellow hobby farmer.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you love a farm---I live on one and am not sure sometimes how much I love it---LOL---I do love it even through the hard work. My grandfather was a farmer and he lived on the farm salary through the twenties until the fifties and then he got social security, I learned to do gardening from my family and also how to raise chickens, The livestock was done with by the time I came along so I have a fear of cows and horses. I am not near the gardener my people were---but I try and I returned to my grandfather's old farm and renewed it. I just do the best I can and kinda live a laid back old hippie life style. Bless you and enjoy MJF---my fellow hobby farmer.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  4:24:07 PM  Show Profile
A big welcome, Anita from way over here in north central Florida!! It is nice to meet you and hear about your interests. I was a nurse for 34 years and I think it is great that you are still finding a way to help patients. There are many of us here at MJF that have never lived on a farm but just remember that MaryJane says , Farmgirl is a matter of Heart!" This makes for a big tent for all of us to gather and share. Keep us posted on your interests and projects going forward as we all love to share ideas and thoughts with each other.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  4:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Anita, from the upper mountains of North Carolina! I am looking forward to hearing more about you and the things you like.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2020 :  05:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anita,
Welcome to your virtual farm. Glad you moved in. Here we share recipes techniques, have a cup of tea while reading other sisters stories. I just moved to my dream land but it is far from a farm. One of my favorite farm sisters already shared she lives in a small house with a small yard but she has the biggest farmgirl heart. We all don't live on big Bonanza spreads. Feel free to ask or share.

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Aug 14 2020 05:33:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  1:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anita welcome to the farm! I'm a farmgirl at heart from Renton and have always enjoyed visiting Snohomish in part because of it's small town feel. Thanks for continuing your nursing work in creative ways during this unprecedented time. Enjoy all the fun activities here on the forum and good luck to you in achieving your farmgirl dreams!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I think I inherited my Dads farmer gene... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page