Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  4:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls~ Today is August 21st and I wanted to remind everyone that come September 1, we still start celebrating our 6th Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival!! For those of you who are new here to our Chatroom community, we started this tradition in 2014 to kick off and celebrate Fall. Newcomers will be also interested in our Mascot 100 year old Apple tree that still produces fruit on MaryJanes Farm.

I will be sponsoring an Apple Swap so please sigh up if you are interested.

I will also be sponsoring an Apple Giveaway so please sign up if you are interested.

Don't forget, we have an Apple Badge that you can work on this next month as well. It includes lots of fun activities to get you learning and enjoying this beloved and favorite fruit.

Every year, we have been sharing information about, varieties of apples from our various regions of the US and Canada. We also share yummy recipes, tidbits and photos of our apple trees and families. The fun part of learning more about apples is that you learn more about our American history. Apples that could be eaten, cooked and preserved came from Europe by early settlers and and fur traders. The original apples here in America were an astringent crab apple that even the Indians could not find useful!!

The real origin of apples comes from the Tian Shan mountains of Kazakhstan in the temperate western foothills. The Silk Road that went from Rome to Xi'an in China , was the route traveled for trading purposes to acquire things like spices. Apples were discovered by both the horses and the traders making the journey and were brought back to Rome where they became very popular. The Romans then spread them to Europe where they flourished as well.

Apples don't really grow well from seeds. To create trees of eatible apples, they must be grafted. In the early 1700s, the American colonists learned this skill and began to establish nurseries of grafted trees. The Apple Revolution began and soon people were all planting apple trees on their farms as a basic food source to make cider and fruit that could be eaten, cooked, preserved and stored for long winter months.

Thomas Jefferson planted large groves of apple trees at Monticello and concentrated on both eating and cider making varieties. The Newtown Pippin was one of the most popular variety from his orchards.

The legendary Johnny Appleseed, was really a man by the name of John Chapman who was an itinerant minister. He preached to small crowds as well as set up seedling nurseries throughout the Ohio Valley and the Midwest from the 1790s-1830s. Apples were a way of life!!

There is so much more about apples so please share here what you know and have experienced.

One more important note: Sunday September 27th will be our traditional Apple Pie Sunday Celebration!! Mark your calendars and think about what sort of apple pie recipe you would like to make this year. Be sure to share with us your ideas of tried and true apple pie favoites!

I look forward to enjoying hearing about your stories, recipes, and experiences with apples. If you grow them, please let us know what varieties you have. If you just love to eat apples and cook with them, let us know about your favorites.

Welcome everyone and I hope you will join us during the next month and share your thoughts, ideas, and stories. Don't forget the Apple Badge is an easy way to learn more about one of America's favorite fruit.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  4:55:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been looking for this celebration all year Winnie so please sign me up.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  5:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like so much fun Winnie, please sign me up. Look forward to becoming part of this annual event!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  04:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I so enjoy our annual Apple Festival. I signed for the swap and will watch for the giveaway. Are we to sign up for something here?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  05:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Winnie it's that time of year again - ain't it fun. Already started decorating for it. Made a tin can windsock with green & gold apple fabric which is hanging on front porch. That's my 2020 Apple Festival project. Have a wool table mat with apples from last year and the vintage apple tablecloth apron Linda "Quiltee" gifted me several years ago. Now to find the apple pie recipe so I will be ready for Apple Pie Sunday and my annual baking of a pie.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile
A question has come up about signing up for the apple swap here. NO, please sign up for the swap under it’s own link in the swap category.

I am excited too that the Apple Festival is just around the corner! Like others, I look forward to this annual sharing event here at MJF. All the yummy recipes, photos of apple trees in home orchards, stories of apple picking, and so much more. Sara, I love that you are already getting your apple accessories out and ready to enjoy. For me, as you might guess, apples are just part of my kitchen decor all the time. After all, when we hit the end of the season in the Northern Hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere is just ramping up. Most stores these days bring over New Zealand apples for stocking late Spring and summer produce bins here in the US.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I found the link for the swap and signed up! Excited!!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I was watching a show on the BBC channel.. they talked about the different types of apples in England,, and they made fresh apple cider,, Oh it looked soooo yummy!.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  6:11:09 PM  Show Profile
I am going to EARN my first badge with the Apple Badge!! Working on it NOW!! Thank you Winnie for so much inspiration!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  04:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
I have my Apple decor out all year too. Mostly kitchen and dining room. Looking through my recipes to find what I will make to celebrate Apple month.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  05:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, I am the one who created the apple badge when we first started this celebration at MJF. I love hearing about other Farmgirls who are fascinated by apples and work on the badge as well. This year, I am going to try and finish the expert level of the badge with a small pandemic style celebration with a few friends we get together with on outside porches on occasion so we all can be safe and still chat and enjoy a change in the routine.

Grace, I would love to be able to press my own apple cider. Fresh cider always tastes so delicious and great both cold or hot.

Denise, I love knowing that someone else loves apples all year long as part of their everyday decor!! I think because I love red color, apples are the best way to make that a part of my decor. My hall bathroom is full of apple decor as well. Then there is the outside porch and my little sewing nook, and my LogCabin....................... LOL!!!!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  06:35:25 AM  Show Profile

Winnie,
You sure keep busy! love reading what you are up to. Happy Apple season. Hard to turn down a good apple.
Nancy Jo

Edited by - Nancy Gartenman on Aug 23 2020 07:24:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sign me up please. My kitchen is full of apples all year! Old metal Apple Canisters filled with tea! LoL!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited to hear about this apple festival! I love apples so much and I'll take any excuse to eat lots of them! Lol! I am actually only about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive across the state from Fort Wayne where Johnny Chapman is buried. I've not been, but I believe they have a park dedicated to him there, where he is also buried.

Farmgirl #6994

Sunshine Mixed With A Little Hurricane
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  6:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Please sign me up

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  8:05:27 PM  Show Profile
I love this time of year and the fun apple festival! Thanks Winnie for hosting it again!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  07:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Winnie... I just read yesterday that the oldest known apple tree in the United States has expired! You can read about it and its fascinating story here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/22/us/old-apple-tree-vancouver-washington-dead-scn-trnd/index.html

I actually cried a little!

I think Im going to celebrate its life and ALL apple trees today by making a big ol' pie! How blessed we are to have so many orchards and apple trees, and so many wonderful varieties to choose from, and so many options as to how to prepare them!

My favorite thing to do in the fall when we were kids was to visit our favorite apple orchard: The Big Apple in Wrentham, MA. My Mom and Grandma would pile us kids in the car after Sunday dinner, while Daddy and Grandpa took their post-meal football game naps in the easy chairs. We would be giddy with anticipation as we made the big trip out to the country to grab our "free sample" apple from the big barrel welcoming us at the barn door. Who would find the biggest one? I can still see and smell the homemade donuts being made behind the glass...oh SO good! Mom and Grandma would load up our little arms with bags of wonderful apples to carry to the registers. And much to my mother's chagrin, Grandma would always buy us each a big ol' red candied apple to savor (and wear) on the way home. How Mom's back seat survived three kids and that sticky red mess, I will never know! Lol. Ooh my, though, the memories!

Many times we kids would also make that trip with our grandparents on any given afternoon after school throughout the fall. Grandma would quickly disappear deep into the apple bags, busily be picking out the perfect Granny Smiths for her pies. Meanwhile, Grandpa's eyes would be twinkling as he pulled out his little green rubber coin purse from his pocket and carefully counted out just enough change to buy us each a delicious cup of fresh apple cider. Mmm-M!

In later years, after Grandpa had long given up his keys, my husband and I would pick them up on a Sunday and take my gradparents to our beloved favorite fall haunt - The Big Apple. Grandma and Grandpa would interlock arms, Grandma leaning heavily on her shaleileigh, as they slowly hobbled their way through the lumpy grass parking area, down the long wooded dirt path, past the sleek white fence protecting the orchard, and up to the gathering barn door. My hubby would glance at me sideways, roll his eyes and giggle because knew what he was in for the minute Grandma started promising him a nice big warm pie later that evening: he was the designated apple carrier; and boy would we load his arms down with apple goodness! Grandpa's dimming eyes would STILL twinkle when he caught glimpse of the cider machines, and he would always give my hubby a knowing glance and chuckle as he passed him a cup. We all knew Grandma meant business, and it was only a blink of an eye before she disappeared into the buzzing apple-hungry crowd. My hubby and I STILL giggle about those trips to The Big Apple with them. SUCH fond memories.

I was blessed to be able to take our son there a few years back before he graduated high school. I had all these romantic visions of making new Big Apple memories with him. He enjoyed the free apple and the fresh cider and warm donuts well enough; but he didnt grow up with that same experience, and probably didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did. His romantic visions were decidedly more focused on the cute little farmgirl clerks in their aprons, to be honest. Lol. But MY heart? It was full. My Grandma and Grandpa were there with me in spirit. I could feel their loving presence as I tipped a cup of cider to their memory. And suddenly in my heart, I was a little girl again. Surely my Mom was off buying apples and my siblings were darting somewhere between the tiered apple displays. And surely Grandpa and Charlie were off in some corner sipping cider and laughing over Grandpa's relief of finally having passed the torch of carrying all those apples and goodies back to the car. Hmph. Brings warm tears of love to my eyes. My heart was home there in that sweet little apple and cider and donut and preserve and pickle-filled little barn. The circle was complete now that my son was there savoring apples with me... And I could've just stayed there forever.

It hasn't changed too too much since I was a kid, but if you'd like to virtually check out the place, you can check it out here:

https://www.thebigapplefarm.com/

And especially here:

https://www.thebigapplefarm.com/around-the-farm-2/

So, Winnie, my dear sister, and ALL of our dear apple-lovin' farmgirl sisters, we are definitely romantic apple season adoring kindred spirits. Thank you SO SO much for this wonderful celebration, Winnie... and to all of you for joining me on this walk down apple memory lane. Even if the oldest trees die, their seeds that remain will always live on...and their lifeblood, if you will, will continue to flow through our hearts for generations to come!

God, thank you for apple season and all the loved ones we get to share it with - especially our farmgirl sisters!

Now let's bring on apple season!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 25 2020 08:00:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
What beautiful memories! Thank you so much for sharing them with us dear sister.
I always enjoy going to Ohio to see my daughter in October. We hit the apple orchard there with her little ones.
There is just something about getting those apples fresh out of the orchard!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  09:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Yay! For Apple Festival 2020! I have Several new recipes to try as nd Farmgirl apple art to decorate with!
Connie#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  09:15:55 AM  Show Profile

Yay for apples!

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 25 2020 09:16:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  12:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Connie, that is an awesome graphic. It’s really nice to see them in an order like that. My favorite is ambrosia and gala, while I won’t even eat a Granny Smith. Way to tart for me. Now I know why lol. It’s clear at the other end!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  11:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I had a moment to myself and was able to read the article about the Oldest Apple Tree over in Vancouver.. Thank you for sharing it with us.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  11:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I use to have an Apple Tree back in SO. Cal, called Dwarf tree called a "Beverly Hills".. it was a tart crisp apple, perfect for baking.
I have never seen them anywhere except in Ventura County.. Has anyone else heard of them?
I found out from my old neighbor that 2 years after we sold and moved from our house in Moorpark,, the new owners, tore out the Avocado, lemon, apple, peach and fig trees and planted roses in their place . I was heart broken. I nurtured those trees for 8 years...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2020 :  10:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh, Connie! I LOVE that chart! Thank you! (Cortlands are my favorite!!!) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2020 :  05:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Grace, the one cool thing about the history of Apples is that there are thousands of little local trees that might have been more common 100 years ago. But have now become just remnants of past times. Most of the time a local Extension Office can provide you with more information about these local varieties that the rest of us have never heard of or will ever see in the market. IT is a terrible shame that the people who purchased your home mowed down your fruit trees!!! I have heard some people same they think fruit trees are a nuisance because they drop all this fruit in the yard and make a mess. Why don’t they eat the fruit and share it with their friends and neighbors?? Seems so weird to me!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2020 :  08:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Oh Winnie - I so agree. I had to take down an apple tree this Spring. We planted the tree when my son, now 48, was 9. Dad and son dug and dug to make the hole wide and deep enough. The tree was cared for and the roots and tree grew strong and tall. We were blessed with an abundance of apples, year after year. We shared with neighbors, new friends and family. Always having more than we needed. I cried when we took that tree down, it was attached to so many memories. The Dad, my husband is no longer with us, but I treasure the memories made, that I am able to smile and shed some tears in the remembering. I do have a remaining tree, it is full of apples and soon I will be enjoying the bounty that tree is supplying.

Farmgirl Sister #506

Edited by - GailMN on Aug 30 2020 08:28:46 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic September Annual Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page