Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Our Apple Pie Sunday is September 27th
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Our Apple Pie Sunday is September 27th Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  10:36:03 AM  Show Profile
HI Farmgirls~ Just a reminder that we close out our Apple Festival here at MJF with out annual Apple Pie Sunday. This year it falls on Sunday, September 27th which is next weekend. Are you ready??

We keep this apple celebration very flexible to fixing any favorite apple dish if sweets are not your favorite. There are many delicious ways to enjoy savory apple dishes too.

So whether you wish to make something sweet or savory for this coming Apple Pie Sunday, I hope you will post here what you plan and how it turns out. And if you are able, photos are always a fun extra.

I think I will do a traditional Apple Pie. I never tire of basic Apple Pie and I love to serve mine with a good sharp cheddar cheese on top instead of ice cream. As I have mentioned in the past, my Dad loved his apple pie with cheese and always told me that Pie without Cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze! Dad, this year's Apple Pie is in your memory and honor!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, apple pie with sharp cheddar is one of my favorite things. I put up apple pie filling last week so I'll use a pint or two for my pie with a graham cracker crust. A couple of years ago Linda "Quiltee" gifted me a cast iron pie pan so I hope to finally get around to using it. I do so enjoy looking at it hanging on my kitchen wall.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  6:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh yummy, Winnie!! That truly sounds delish!! I will be making our favorite, apple dumplings! Used to be a friday night special but when we moved to Alabama it kind of went to the wayside. I want to bring it back, so Sunday evening is as good a time to start as any!! I'll post pics when done!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  8:13:38 PM  Show Profile
In addition to some apple sweets, a crisp and a pie and maybe some apple crepes or pancakes, I pre-ordered a Fuji apple tree from Stark Bros. several months ago for arrival this coming Friday for an Apple Pie Sunday special planting. I have the hole prepped, ready and waiting. You know the saying, an apple tree a year keeps the apples coming (or something like that:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Perfect, perfect, PERFECT, a Fuji tree for the orchard! This is very exciting and a perfect way to celebrate Apple Pie Sunday! And does everyone know that we can thank Thomas Jefferson for the Fuji? Yes, he received a cutting from the Minister From France to him at Monticello. The Frenchman's last name was Genet. Mr. Jefferson, who was quite busy at the time as Secretary of State, sent the cutting to his friend, Mr.Ralls, who was a well known nurseryman one county over in Amherst County. Mr. Ralls grafted Mr. Genet's clipping on to one of his stock trees and created the Ralls Genet Apple that became quite popular in America for many many years. The variety fell out of favor as many more varieties came on board until the 1930s. The Japanese took a cutting from a Ralls Genet Apple and grafted it to the Red Delicious and thus created this new apple that they named Fuji. It had the beautiful red color of Red Delicious, but was a bit sweeter and more flavorful overall. It was released to the US in the 1960s and from there became widespread to become one of today's favorite seller. So, the Old Apple tree in MaryJane's Orchard , which we named as the Apple Festival Mascot the first year, will now have a new friend thanks to the third President of the United States. What if MaryJane's tree was a spin off of one of the very old Ralls Genet apple trees hundreds of years ago? Could her old tree have an ancestry tree that links it to the original Ralls Genet Apple? Only in the silent world of Apple Trees, who don't often give up their names and family history, hold all the secrets of where they have been.

Are any other Farmgirls planting apple trees this Fall? Let us know what kind and what other varieties it will join on YOUR Fam.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 28 2020 06:45:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  2:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Very cool bit of history, Winnie!

I took a photo of one of the apples off our Mascot Tree, a Duchess of Oldenburg tree. It's an old Russian cultivar (1750-1799) used in cooking primarily (but I think it's delicious straight from the tree). It was planted in areas of extreme cold because of its winter hardiness. It was imported to North America in 1835 by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. I found all this out by taking a sample apple to the University of Idaho Plant Science department.

About the time Winnie suggested we designate Sept. as our Apple Festival month, I'd started rescuing an old orchard at my farm planted in the early 1900s, 1905 I think. I found our "mascot" tree surrounded by larger trees so with a saw in hand, I gave it some sunlight, love, and water. It has graced us with delicious fruit ever since. An heirloom rescue!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  2:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Winnie!!! That's an awesome bit of history I would have never known except by you!! Definitely peaks my interest in the others! Especially the one my son favors!

MaryJane, how did you get it so perfect without blemish? ;) Even my fellow neighbors who have trees, their apples are so blemished! Of course our hot humid air probably doesnt help. :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2020 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, your Mascot apple is a beautiful specimen and a testimony that some TLC and sunshine is just what the old tree was needing in order to keep doing what it was meant to do. Such a great story on your own Farm!!

John Bunker writes in his latest book, that there were four varieties of these hardy apples of central and western Russia that made their way to the American colonies in Massachusetts, by way of England in the 1800s. The names of these four apples were Alexander, Duchess of Oldenburg, Red Astrachan, and Tetofsky. The hardiness of these rugged apples were just want growers of Maine, New Hampshire, Canada, Vermont, and outward to the western parts of the northern US at the time needed for the colder Winters. The research on the Duchess of Oldenburg has it coming from the Capital city of Oldenburg, which was located now in what is today modern Germany, but which was often an area controlled by the Russians. The city of Oldenburg is located along the Hunte River between the Weser River and the North Sea. Bunker writes that Duke George of Oldenburg ruled from 1784-1812 and he was married to the Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna of Russia, who was the sister of Emperor Alexander. It is thought that the apple was named after the Grand Duchess of Oldenburg by the founders as a way to pay political homage to the Duke and Grand Duchess.

I love how John Bunker has spent his life digging around all the research of these heirloom varieties so that we can still learn and enjoy their history. So , I think this means that our Mascot Apple Tree at MJF has royalty genetics in it!! Who knew, MaryJane , that you would stumble upon a lonely old apple tree on your farm that has it's roots in northern Germany where Russians and Germans ruled those fertile river basin grounds amidst brutal cold Winters? This history makes our mascot story all the more sweeter!! Many thanks to John Bunker's new book, Apples and the Heart of Detection, to provide us such an important and wonderful history of our Mascot Apple. Hail to the Duchess of Oldenburg this Apple Festival 2020 at MJF!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  08:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget today is Apple Pie Sunday and the last big event of our Apple Festival at MJF!! What yummy apple dish, sweet or savory, have you planned to enjoy??

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile

My apple pie just came out of the oven and the whole house smells DIVINE! Its just a classic apple pie with a splash of Bourbon. It will be the crowning glory of my small apple festival with my husband and parents! :)

Farmgirl #6994

Sunshine Mixed With A Little Hurricane

Edited by - GinnyBelle on Sep 27 2020 08:27:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Gorgeous pie Hannah. I've never thought to try a splash of bourbon. I could definitely dive into that!

Dianna, I think we have such blemish-free fruit because we're so isolated. That and loads of fertilizer from my darling cows. I've never had to use sprays or pheromones or anything like that.

Wouldn't Hannah Dianna be a cute name?

This morning I'm slicing apples (4 different varieties including our Duchess of Oldenburg) so that my daughter Megan and her two girls, Stella and Mia, can make two apple pies later today.

Stella, who is constantly in the kitchen and actually has a bakery business, Layla's Farmhouse Bakery (named after her dog), shows up at my door frequently in an apron to ask me a question or deliver food (we share an inside staircase w/my daughter, her husband, Lucas, and their two girls). I snapped this photo yesterday when she was gathering supplies to make us the crisp we ate last night (after gobbling up my daughter's dinner of BLTs, corn on the cob, mozzarella salad, and green beans sautéed in butter w/a titch of bacon fat). She said ever so proudly, "This dinner incorporates nine veggies from our garden." This morning we had apple crepes.

Here's an example of the treats I get from my granddaughter, along with love notes. Yesterday morning, Stella harvested the last of our strawberry and raspberry patches, dipping them in chocolate.

Winnie, thank you as always for yet another fantastic apple history lesson.

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have been making this yummy Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Coffeecake for several weeks. Although I live alone I have family and friends that are always asking when I am making more! The recipe is:
Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake **
CAKE:
1 cup ‘fed’ sourdough starter
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups apples, peeled cored and diced
TOPPING:
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or an 8 or 9-inch square pan).
It has been so much fun to participate in the Apple Swap, I received such an amazing package, and have loved following this apple adventure. Happy Apple Baking to all my wonderful Farmgirl friends. Hugs.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Sunday is the day I stir our sourdough refrigerator mothers. I'm going to try to take time today to use some in your recipe, Gail. Sure does sound delish.

Dianna, look what hubby and I harvested yesterday, peaches! They're off a tree I planted just three years ago. I'm going to dry them in slices in a dehydrator.

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I know you will love the coffee cake Queen Bee - it has become a favorite and I have done it with pears also. It has such a nice rise and texture. Warm with a little ice cream is soooooooooooooo good.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  11:31:34 AM  Show Profile
All the pie pictures are beautiful. My pie turned out yummy but not so pretty. I think it knew I don't enjoy baking and it shows. I used 2 pints of my canned apple pie filling and graham cracker crust recipe out of one of my WWII cookbooks. Like Winnie I topped it with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese. Now that my pie baking day is behind me I can relax until next year's Apple Pie Sunday.

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  12:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Oh Yellow Rose, I love to bake and I have many fails. Try, try, try again. Bet it tastes good! I miss my hubby, when I tried something new, he would say, Oh you should make this again, or, it was ok. LOL He was always game to try anything.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Gail, I have tried baking through the years and I just don't like all the measuring and having to follow a recipe to the letter. I'm more of a handful of this and pinch of that sort of cook.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  1:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Stella is PRECIOUS!!! What a wonderful miniature of her grandmother!! How priceless are her love notes too! You are blessed Mary Jane! & Oh holy moly look at those peaches MaryJane!!@@ lol, flawless....again! They are beauty's! I put up a few freezer bags full for the hubs, when he gets back from Afghanistan!! I love baking with them and sometimes adding them to my dinners! I've been on Amazon for the last 2 weeks looking at dehydrators! It got over whelming so I backed off for now. Bet they will taste just peachy! ;)
Hannah Dianna? Cute!!
Gail, oh my that looks amazing!!! Yummmmmm! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Sara, yours and Winnies pies sound delish! I've never put on cheddar cheese tho. It's new to me even tho I'm way up in years! Learn something new everyday! :0

I did make my apple dumplings today! Took me a lot longer than normal with one good hand! I had to keep putting my dough in the freezer everytime I rolled out a pastry circle. So one hour turned into 2 1/2 PLYS my baking time!! But it's good! They turned out good and smell great! Sara has been gone all weekend so I am waiting for her before we eat them with vanilla bean ice cream!!

Thank you Winnie for inviting us to this celebration and for the amazing history on apples! Were you an apple queen at one time?? ;)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Wow Dianna, the apple dumplings look great and one handed, you are amazing. I love the pastry leaves that adorn the top.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Aww, thanks Gail! This was an every week treat when my children were growing up! Brought back sweet memories today for me! Resting the wrist for the rest of the evening tho! :) I'm a happy camper!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  2:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Mine in the oven now, smells yummy. Sadly I can not eat it as I did not make it Gluten Free. But I know my guys will love it and I too added a secret ingredient.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  2:29:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna try dumplings next year. Yours almost look like sitting hens, Dianna. Lovely indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  2:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Everyone’s pie looks and sounds yummy,

Here is my pie just out of the oven, my secret ingredient was Irish Whiskey. I will let you know what my guys think. It is football Sunday so hubby fixed yummy chili.
Enjoy the rest of your Apple Pie Sunday everyone.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  5:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Ok y'all are show offs!!!! LOL
I am like Sara, NOT a baker.
But I tried. I made a crust out of almond flour that did not work, so I stirred it all together. I added just a touch of cayenne, and some Beekman hard cheese on top.
Ugly as all get out, but tasty.
Mary Jane, your pie needs a Blue Ribbon!, and those dumplings!!!
Sara, this one is for YOU!!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  7:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Woa, Debbie and Lisa, your pies look and sound delish!! Who would have thought Irish Whiskey, Debbie? I thought your secret ingredient would have been raisens or something like that, lol! Since mine are done I may just have to try a sip of Gentlemen Jack! Think that will work??
Lisa, I REALLY need to learn to bake with almond flour! Your picture set up is wonderful! ( I see goldenrod and a flower press!!) I bet yours was SCRUMPTIOUS as well!!
MaryJane! Those pie are beautiful, I love the leaves!!! Too pretty to cut and eat!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Hannah, yet another beautiful pie made with alcohol. I must really try this! Seems to be a popular choice ingredient. I think the flavor must truly be devine. Thank you and Debbie for inspiration.

BTW, Winnie? Where are you in todays celebration? You are missed!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Our Apple Pie Sunday is September 27th Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page