AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Several years ago a co-worker moved into a newly built home with brand new appliances. Within a month the dishes were coming out of the dishwasher dirtier than when they were put in.
He called the manufacturer demanding a new dishwasher. The person he talked to told him to try this: buy some Tang - the powder drink mix - put 1/4 cup in the dishwasher and run it empty. He tried it and it actually worked.
The liquid dishwasher detergent has a thickener which causes the dishwasher parts to get gummed up. The gel packs cause issues also. The acid and grit of Tang break up the gunk.
About once a month I dump some Tang in my dishwasher. I don't measure and I don't run it empty.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, I will give this a try! Thx for sharing!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038

Edited by - Dreamer42 on Sep 27 2020 10:55:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2020 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Andrea. I never would have guessed that Tang would work. I typically just use white vinegar. I’ll have to give the Tang a try.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2020 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Andrea. The guy who installed my dishwasher last year told me to use 1/2 cup of vinegar once a month. He said to put it in the bottom of the dishwasher and run it on full cycle empty. I have it on my computer calendar with a reminder to make sure I do just that. Hopefully this dishwasher hose won't get clogged.

Dawn in IL

"By all these lovely tokens September days are here, with summer's best of weather and autumn's best of cheer." Helen Hunt Jackson
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dishwasher tip Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page