Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Restart a Heart Day - 16 October
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Restart a Heart Day - 16 October Next Topic  

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  3:34:56 PM  Show Profile
As an ER nurse, I thought it appropriate to do the First Aid Badge & share with you the importance of first-aid training. It also just happened to be "Restart a Heart Day" on 16 October, so what a great time to have this conversation. "Restart a Heart" day is a global initiative to raise awareness & educate communities about CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and AEDs (Automated External Defibrillator). Time is a critical factor in survival - every minute a patient is in cardiac arrest, not receiving CPR or AED shock, chances of survival drop by 10%. After 10-minutes the damage to the brain from lack of blood flow & oxygen is nearly irreversible.
Having a by-stander willing and confident to start CPR can mean the difference between life and death. Studies show that there is still a large portion of the population (particularly women) who are still reluctant to use a defibrillator to treat cardiac arrests. So, ladies, I am encouraging you to get out there and do a CPR class or, at the very least, familiarise yourself with AEDs in your local community. You can't stuff it up with an AED because it does all the work for you. It'll tell you when to do CPR and chest compressions, it'll tell you when to stop, it'll tell you when to push the shock button on the AED. So, even if you haven't been trained, any attempt at CPR is going to be better than no attempt, and you can walk away, regardless of the outcome, and know that you've done everything you could to save that person.

I would love to see lots of replies to this post, telling me that you have signed up for a first aid class, and the bonus is that you can achieve a merit badge at the same time!!!

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  2:33:55 PM  Show Profile
In my early 20s I did a few CPR classes. I learned the infant, child, adult and AED. They were required for my job and I kept up on my certification until I had my kids and started staying home. I still remember everything and have the booklets but it would be nice to take another refresher class. Plus earning a badge would be an added bonus.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Restart a Heart Day - 16 October Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page