RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  11:59:15 AM  Show Profile
We've really gotten into growing fresh sprouts since the pandemic hit. It's a way to have fresh greens and not go to the store to get them. My favorite is the Ancient Eastern Blend from Mumm's Sprouting Seeds. I find myself tossing them in salads and in stir fry, but that's about it. When it comes to incorporating sprouts into recipes, I'm creatively bankrupt and haven't found too many interesting recipes out there (other than what's in MJF magazine).

If you use sprouts as part of your diet, how do you use them?

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Nov 11 2020 12:41:00 PM

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2020 :  7:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel! I love sprouts in sandwiches, wraps and fresh rolls. I’ve also used them in tacos or burritos instead of lettuce. I once had them served as a garnish on a bowl of soup which was very pretty. My favorites are the organic micro greens. I’ve never cooked with sprouts before so I’m curious to hear what other farmgirls suggest.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 11 2020 7:35:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Marilyn! I hope you're well!

Sprouts on tacos is a great idea! I'm going to try that next time. I've cooked with them in stir-fry and they are always good - flavorful and still a bit crunchy, but I think you would need the heartier, bigger sprouts to make it work. I imagine the dainty micro-greens might kind of wilt away.

I have a batch of my favorites - ancient grains - growing right now. I'm going to let them sprout for probably another day because I like them best when they get the little leaves on the end - extra greens!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sprouts recipes wanted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page