YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  06:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Here's the trial run for our new place to talk about what is going on in our kitchens from canning, drying, frementing, to you name it.

Today and for several days I will be making powders in my blender. Dried onions, celery, store bought bottled red curry sauce, and 3 kinds of chili peppers.

I bought the chili's already dried from Aldi, so now I have to take seeds and ribs out to control the heat.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile
Sara, it sounds like you are being productive in your kitchen, and I love the new "Current Kitchen Creations". Good luck with the chili peppers.

I have been gearing up for my annual Christmas cookie baking marathon that usually takes place the second weekend of December (Thursday - Sunday). I usually bake several batches of about 8-12 different types of cookies and bars, so far I have 9 recipes. This year will be a bit of a challenge as I need to mail several packages in the mail by December 14 or 15 of the cookies and gifts to all family members as we will not be getting together for Christmas this year.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  10:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I usually make tons of cookies for neighbors and such at Christmas time, but I have been torn this year. I fear that my cookies will just be tossed since people have fear with the pandemic. So this year I will only be making cookies for us. I want to make some cranberry orange shortbread cookies and some spritz cookies. I’m thinking even making some cookie cutter sugar cookies for my kids to decorate!

Sara, that is really neat! You are so talented when it comes to the kitchen. I wish I could do half the stuff you do!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  10:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara, could you please post a few of your powders recipes? Jana and Krista have fun baking your delicious cookies! I am waiting to bake just before Christmas. We celebrate the winter solstice, my husband is Persian and that was always their big winter holiday, so I will be super busy cooking and baking for the solstice, Christmas Eve and Day. You can guess what My new years resolution will be!

Dawn in IL

Make it a December to remember!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  12:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Jana, I'm in awe of your cookie baking marathon. May all your creations be perfect.

Krista, your orange cranberry shortbread cookies sound yummy. I'm a fan of orange cranberry scones.

Dawn, I want to make a mix for chili and I don't have a recipe. So as I put it together I will do my best to write down what I use and the quantity. Dawn with celebrating two cultures I know your kitchen is super busy in Dec and must smell wonderful. What meat do you cook for your Persian celebration?

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Krista, you have a great fact that I didn't even think about, but the cookies are all cooked in an oven of 350 degrees and most will be going in the mail taking approximately 3-5 days that I hope any and all concerns will be unwarranted. I might put in a funny note that cookies where made with love and every effort was taken to ensure safety for all replicants. Meaning I will wear a mask and gloves that I will change every batch. Thanks for the reminder!

Dawn, yes I can guess what that new years resolution will be, assuming you test every cookie like I do for quality control. Tee, hee!

I have been clearing a couple of shelves on my bookshelf in the living room and one in the dinning room for Christmas decorations, which means I found bags of black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans and great northern beans that I will soak tonight and pressure can tomorrow to replenish my pantry. I also have a batch of marinara sauce going on the stove that I will can tonight.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2020 :  06:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Jana, dried beans and broths are my favorite things to can.

All the dried peppers are now powders and today I will taste them to see how much of each I want to use to make chili powder. To taste them I will put a pinch or two of each in a bit of EVOO. Not very scientific but the best I can do. I'm all ready to make the mix except for the coffee grinder to ground the cumin seeds. It's in transient somewhere between Tulsa, OK and Paris, TX. It started in Tulsa 4 days ago and instead of sending it north to Paris it was sent south to Flint, TX and now it's back in Tulsa. Sometimes I wonder who's running the show at USPS.

I will make my own chili powder, but will follow a recipe I found on-line to make the mix.

Chili Mix

1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp thyme (optional)

Chili powder recipe is a work in process. lol

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 06 2020 06:30:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2020 :  07:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe Sara! I love making up my own spice mixes, this way I know they are fresh and organic of course. In answer to your question about the most used meats for Persian cooking, beef and lamb. I rarely eat meat, but when I make Persian entrees I usually use beef or chicken, lamb and I don't get along!

Dawn in IL

Make it a December to remember!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2020 :  09:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn. I like lamb but am picky about where it comes from. I prefer Austrian lamb to California. Austrian lamb has a milder taste.

I did the taste test and here are the results. The guajillo pepper was milder. The ancho pepper (poblano) reminded me of the commercial chili powders. I did not test the arbol pepper because it is kin to cayenne and know what that tastes like - HOT.

The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of chili powder. There are 8 Tbsp in an half cup. For first try I'll go with 5 Tbsp ancho pepper and 3 Tbsp guajillo. 1/8 tsp of the arbol for a little heat.

Will make bison chili in the next several days using my chili mix.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  02:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Sara your blends sound amazing. Happy creating. I wanted to update the elderberry gummie making. I made them and wrapped them in plastic and left them on the counter. Not knowing if I needed to keep in the fridge. The one we were opening and eating, got moldy. So I put the other one in the fridge. So far so good in there. We eat one a day, and still good. I wanted to let everyone know what happened with them.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  05:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, thanks for letting us know to keep gummies in the fridge.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 07 2020 05:13:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2020 :  03:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Got fresh hams and bacon in coolers in the kitchen to thaw. Planning on smoking them the 19 or 20 of this month. Will get cure on them as soon as they thaw. A lot of piddly time spent with it sitting around. Then on to smoking.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2020 :  05:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, you do so many things that I'll never get a chance to do - like smoking and making cider. I'm in awe of you and your working farm.

The coffee/spice grinder arrived yesterday, so the cumin seeds are ground and in chili mix. The mix made a pint. I got on Aldi's site and looked up their chili mix. It's 1 1/4 oz. I will start with 1 1/4 oz of my chili mix and if needed I will add more for the bison chili today.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2020 :  08:52:37 AM  Show Profile
I made the chili and had to tweak the chili mix. It's a mild mix so I added 2 Tbsp of the chili mix, 1 tsp of cumin and 1/2 tsp of chipotle powder. Remember to bloom the spices. To bloom means to heat the spices in hot oil to take away the raw taste. I'll make the chili mix again but will add more chili powder, cumin, and heat.

Ingredients of chili: ground bison; chili mix; S&P; 2 pints my canned black beans; 1 pint my canned pumpkin; 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes; flour to thicken; 1 pint my canned chicken mushroom broth; and a splash of red wine vinegar to bring it all together.

Edited to say: I really like the flavor of the chili powder I made by grinding dried chili peppers. Sure beats the commercial chili powders.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 08 2020 09:11:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2020 :  04:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread! Thank you Sara for starting it.

Sara, that sounds so yummy, and thanks for the recipe.

Not doing any cookie baking this year, but did make my DH a pineapple upside down cake today and am hoping to feel good enough to make some fudge today.

I just finished up dehydrating for the year..... just need to take the last batch of sage out and then the machine gets put away until next harvest (unless I decide to make some jerky LOL)

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2020 :  12:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Jana, that is true. I didn’t think about the mailing time helping out. A funny note would be cute and would probably make the recipients laugh!

Sara, those scones sound so yummy! Now I need to try some.

My little family decided to make some cut out sugar cookies and do some decorating with frosting. It was fun! Now our next plans are to make some of those cranberry orange shortbread cookies and Chex mix! Christmas foods are my favorite!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2020 :  1:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Thersa, so happy you are enjoying this thread. Haven't had a pineapple upside down cake in years. I haven't tried jerky - may get around to it in 2021.

Krista, I know your kitchen is a happy place when you and the kids make cookies.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  02:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Today will be Christmas cookie baking with my mom. We have done this for many years. We used to switch back and forth, my house and hers. Now we do it at hers, so she does not have to haul things down here. Spritz, cutouts, peanut blossoms, mexican wedding cakes, to name a few. We always make the traditional cookies and once in a while throw in something new. We also keep a list each year of what we made and how many, just for fun. Happy Baking

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  06:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, happy cookie baking and enjoy time with your mom.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Michele, that sounds like a lot of fun! I wish my mom was big into baking so we could make cookies together! Have a blast with your mom!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Michele
I love Mexican wedding cakes. My mom always made them with black walnuts from our trees. The black walnuts are so much more flavorful!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2020 :  09:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Drying rosemary to make rosemary powder. I can harvest fresh rosemary year round, so I usually don't dry rosemary, but I want it for mixes.

When I was cutting the creeping rosemary I saw where one sprig had taken root. Next spring I'll decide if I have enough room to leave it there or move it.

Tomorrow I hope to dry more celery for celery powder and celery salt.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2020 :  4:43:42 PM  Show Profile
good luck with all the drying Sara.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  12:26:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm making some shortbread cookies today and some chicken noodle soup in the crockpot. This is my first time trying the chicken noodles soup. It smells yummy but very powerful. Hopefully its not overwhelming when we go to eat it. The recipe did call for quite a bit of seasoning.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Krista, shortbread cookies are a favorite of mine. If the chicken noodle soup smells good it has to taste even better.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  1:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Sara, the chicken noodle soup was really good. Had a bit of a spicy hint to it so my kids didn’t care for it, but I enjoyed it. My shortbread cookies are almost gone lol. I had to hide them from my kids just to make them last! We also made the sweet Chex mix yesterday. We call it wonderful stuff. I’m really enjoying all this Christmas baking with my oldest. He has really become fond of cooking!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page