True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2021 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmsisters!!
As some of you know, we have beavers in our pond. They've been there long before we ever purchased the property! Being a second chance sanctuary drop off, we've never felt the need to 'rid' ourselves of them! Although they tended to destroy a few trees
, we've learned to develop a type of symbiotic relationship with them. We appreciate their brilliant 'engineering skills' by the way they design these amazing water trails that carry excess water from the pond through these waterways into the swamp area of our property. Here they've dammed up 5 areas making themselves smaller ponds to either visit or have extended family live. We've seen them raise 6 babies so far! In order for them to stop destroying the larger deciduous trees, we started giving them 'scratch '. Its a sweet type of grain. The reason they chew just the trunks of the tree is because that is the sweetest part of the tree!! So they've stopped destroying our older trees now. I love watching them, listening to the slap of their tails and hearing them talk to each other. We have several lodges they've built in the back part of our pond and I find their chewed tree limbs so intriguing I've used them in several swaps. :)
This morning on my walk one of the adults was still out and about in the pond and got very close to Koda and I and slapped his tail ( some say in warning but not me) as if to say morning human! The best part of the slap was. ..as the bubbles rose from slapping the water, they formed the shape of a heart!! Blew me away! Leave it to the beav to show his love and appreciation..... Animals are amazing!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro

Edited by - suny58 on Jan 16 2021 4:31:39 PM

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2021 :  4:40:14 PM  Show Profile
What an awesome story, Dianna. You should submit that to the magazine.
When we used to live in Nevada at the base of the Ruby Mountains, I used to go hiking up there with my dogs. There were beaver ponds and we spent many happy hours relaxing and playing there and being awed by their marvelous construction skills.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2021 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great story, Dianna.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2021 :  8:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Dianna, I like your beaver story. We have 3 beavers at the river bank where their lodge is attached to one of our trees. Our property actually goes into the river. So there is the riverbank, then a state road, then our property that our house is on. Well, we had some really tall forsythia on our side of the road down from the beaver lodge. They leveled the three huge bushes of forsythia for their lodge. This was fine with us because we were going to prune them anyway. Well, our next door neighbor, whose property is near the beaver lodge, is having a cow about the beavers. Two of them have been shot & floated down the river. We haven't seen the third one so I am hoping it got away & moved down river. (I only saw them shoot twice.) I don't understand why people can't leave animals alone. They hadn't done anything to their property, only to ours. Oh, well.

I would love to see a picture of your property with the lodges and water trails. Your pond sounds great!

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Well Joan, that was a depressing bit of info!! People can be so ignorant sometimes. I meet a lot here too. They don't understand the dynamics of a cohesive relationship between critters and humans. Humans tend to be so destructive and would rather eliminate the problem without trying other solutions. Ugh, let me stop there. :(

Thank you Jean. I have so many short stories of wildlife rescue and interaction with the animals and birds. I have been blessed with a lot of great memories and very few sad ones. Beavers are genuinely fascinating and incredible engineers!! :)

Thanks Linda!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh and I'm not much of a writer Jean although I used to want to write children's nature books but thanks!! Made me smile

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna

Edited by - suny58 on Jan 17 2021 09:31:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  11:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Dianna . . . have you seen the film, "Biggest Little Farm"? Makes me think of you. If you haven't, I'd be happy to loan it to you. It's a DVD.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  11:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes I have seen it many times and like you had bought several dvds and gave them as gifts, even to the farmsisters here Jean!! Love it! Ty!! :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh Dianna, thank you for sharing that feel good story with us about your family of beavers. It made my heart happy.
Have a Beautiful day everyone.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2021 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you and your welcome Debbie!! I'm happy you got a smile from it! I'm still feeling the fuzzies myself!! :D

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  08:07:44 AM  Show Profile
It's very cool that you have found a way to live with them. Speaks of your personality and your character. Thanks for taking care of our wee wild ones.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog

www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Shop

www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile
I love them all Sharon! I've been a rescuer since a young child, from grasshoppers to cats to owls and critters!! My mom would occasionally freak out at the critters I'd bring home but in reality she loved them too. :) I went to school to be a forest ranger but had to drop out in my 2nd year of college because I got married and had children. But I ended up working as a wildlife rescuer and volunteered as a rehabbed on and off all my life! I've been SO EXTREMELY BLESSED!! ( OF COURSE TGERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF SADNESS BUT I learn from it and it keeps me human) thank you for enjoying my little experience!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  08:35:49 AM  Show Profile
What an exciting life you have Dianna because of your love of animals. Just wonderful that you have the homestead where you can rescue all the sweet animals that need/needed rescuing.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Dianna -- You beaver pond sounds wonderful. I'm glad there are other people out there rescuing animals.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:09:39 PM  Show Profile
God spreads his love in miraculous ways!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile
Dianna, that is such a sweet story! I love all kinds of animals and would leave them on the land as well. I am always fascinated with how the animal world functions and would love to watch them as well! Enjoy your little friends and the sweet love they share.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Dianna, what a wonderful story of your relationship with the backyard beavers!! They do sound quite interesting to watch and learn about . I love watching nature and a backyard front seat is hard to beat!! Do any on them have names? I gave names to all of my Crow family that come to visit me for unsalted rated peanuts in shell .

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  6:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Love this! I would love to see a photo if you get one. I once saw a beaver in our area when I took a walk. So beautiful to see in the wild! You beaver reminds me of the little opossum who visits everyday when I go close my chicken coop for the night.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  7:38:05 PM  Show Profile
I really do love them Debbie!
I wish a lot more people cared Judith!!
Oh April, you know He does!! :)
Krista, I don't get much done around here sometimes! We do have a LOT of critter life here and I end up spending a lot of time watching or photographing, sister!! :D
Winnie, the parents are The Beav and Mrs, the first 3 kids were buck ( buckteeth), roger ( Roger rabbit) and tiny. One crossed over to another property pond and the owners shot him. Since then I don't keep up with the kids but a year ago this February I heard the most adorable squealing coming from their lodge and sure enough they had 2 more. Haven't named them yet. :) :) I SO ADORE the crows!!!
Hey Nicole! Here's a recent pic. I'm happy you love your critters too! I love possum as well! Dang, love them all!! Well except coyote and I have a love hate relationship with them.....sadly...

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  1:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Aww how cute!! We had an animal in our yard late last night. It did something to frighten my dog because she came running in my room barking! I flipped on the light outside and seen it take off running. I believe it was a fox. Wish I would have been able to see it better.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  7:54:38 PM  Show Profile
That sounds awesome Krista! I love fox! We've rehabbed both gray and red. Extremely different personalities for sure. Do you have any game cameras? Those are so fun to get pictures from!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile
I believe so. I will have to ask my hubby! And see if we can put them up.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Leave it to the beav! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page