Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED ***
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic
Page: of 5

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2021 :  11:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Mardi Gras Swap or Let the Good Times Roll
When someone shouts "Laissez les bon temps rouler" you should respond with "Oui, cher." In English, this means "Yeah, you right."

DH and I had an office in Gulfport, Mississippi in the 90’s and used to fly in and out of New Orleans where we spent a lot of fun recreational time. No place quite like “Nawlins” in the US for a playground. I’ll be sharing some fun Cajun background, stories and recipes with you in the next few weeks here as well as some conversational Cajun speak.

Mardi Gras is February 16 this year. So, let’s have some Cajun fun and Let the Good Times Roll. Here’s how it’s going to work:

I will send you a Mardi Gras swap care package to get you in the party mood.

Make whatever you like using the Mardi Gras colors of purple, green and gold. Tucks are strictly optional and not required.

Partners posted February 1 *** INSTANT PARTNERS *** and ready to send anytime to arrive before Mardi Gras on the 16th.
I will pair the INSTANT PARTNERS as they sign up.

What kinds of things can you make with this theme, you ask? Well, how about . . .

Little tin of cookies with purple, green and gold sprinkles
Dotee Doll
Anything Beaded
A "Good Times" roll
Hand made card or mail art
VooDoo Doll
Mask
Bracelet from purple, green and gold buttons
Mug rug or pot holder in Mardi Gras colors
Mini Mardi quilt or just a block or two or three
Something tie dyed in those colors
Fleur-de-Lis bookmark or fridge magnet

Are y’all ready to paaarteeee? Let the Good Times Roll Farmgirls. But please don't sign up if you can't follow through.
Jean

*** INSTANT PARTNERS ***
Gail (GailMN) *** Darlene (Darlenelovesart)
Jean (JeanP) *** Linda (Quiltee)

Judith (StitchinWitch) *** Jill (Sheridan 126)
Julie (Treelady) *** Nik (Hammahsfarm)
Debbie (Blessed in Colorado) *** Ida Jane (Ida Jane Rooney)
Joan (JMPiercy) *** Jean (JeanP)

QUIZ ANSWERS
1. Fat Tuesday. Mardi is the French word for Tuesday and Gras means fat. In France the day before Ash Wednesday came to be known as Mardi Gras when merrymakers would binge on all the rich, fatty foods that remained in their homes prior to the beginning of Lent, which kicked off six weeks of eating a mostly fish-based diet.
2. Russia. To honor the visiting Russian Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich, local businessmen introduced his family colors of purple, gold and green as the official colors of Mardi Gras.
3. Purple stands for justice. Gold stands for power. Green stands for faith.
4. Alabama. French-Canadian explorer Pierre Le Monye d'Iberville arrived in what is now modern day Mobile, Alabama on Fat Tuesday in 1699. He dubbed the location Point du Mardi Gras.
5. A tiny baby figurine. Tradition holds that whoever finds the baby must host the next Mardi Gras party.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Feb 13 2021 10:58:57 AM

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  04:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sign me up Jean, sounds like so much fun.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  08:33:42 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like fun,Jean, please sign me up!

Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  09:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour (Good Day) Farmgirls,

Today is Mercredi, Fevier vingt (Wednesday, February 20). There. That's your Cajun speak lesson for today.

Gail and Darlene, welcome to the party . . .

jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  09:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Like I need another swap to do ... ? Yes, please add me. I looked up Dotee Doll and I LOVE it! LOL! You have my address.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  11:30:24 AM  Show Profile
ALERT! ALERT! INSTANT PARTNERS!!

Linda said something to me in her email message that sparked an idea I want to try with this swap. Seeing as how it's a rather fast track timeline, let's try INSTANT PARTNERS! As the signups come in you will automatically be partnered with the next person on the list. As far as I can tell there really is no way to actually tell who is on the Connection at any given time. So it really will be luck of the draw as to who your partner will be. I see a significant up-side to this as you can plan instantly in the event you want to personalize your project. What made me think of this was that she commented that she had looked up Dotee Dolls, loved them and was going to make one as her swap project. I had come to the same conclusion. So it seemed a great idea for us to partner. You can do the same if you like -- discuss something with your partner when you exchange addresses that you both might like to make to exchange . . . just an idea. Let me know what you think . . . you are my beta testers. LOL.

Darlene -- I don't seem to have an address for you.

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 20 2021 11:42:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I like the instant partners idea, Jean. it is nice to be able to plan ahead. Right now I have 3 swaps all being sent out in February. Thanks!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Laissez les bon temps rouler! Sign me up please.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL - Wish I could speak NAWLINS

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Dotee dolls are great, I haven’t made one in years.
Sounds great Jean!

Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  6:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, but you don't have to make one for this swap. Anything goes as long as it's in the Mardi Gras colors. Talk it over with your partner, Gail.
Don't forget to send me your mailing address. I thought I had it but I guess not. We haven't been partners in a swap yet.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  6:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, but you don't have to make one for this swap. Anything goes as long as it's in the Mardi Gras colors. Talk it over with your partner, Gail.
Don't forget to send me your mailing address. I thought I had it but I guess not. We haven't been partners in a swap yet.

Judith, glad to have you. Next one to sign up is your partner . . .
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

sheridan126
True Blue Farmgirl

245 Posts

Jill
Dana Point CA
USA
245 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  11:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello, Jean!
What a creative and fun idea, I'd love to join!

Jill
Farmgirl Sister 7889

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  02:55:03 AM  Show Profile
What fun. Please sign me up Jean.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Hammahsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Nik
Baldwinsville NY
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  04:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jean!!! You are coming up with some very creative SWAPS!!! I am loving 2021 already! You have the history teacher in me buzzing with your swaps! I love making Voodoo dolls! PLEASE SIGN ME UP!!! This Hammah has to Play!!!

Hammah Nik

Hammahsfarm
Farmgirl # 8102

The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant the seeds ?" "Not I," barked the lazy dog . "Not I," purred the sleepy cat . "Not I," quacked the noisy yellow duck . "Then I will," said the little red hen .
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile
I would like to play as well Jean, sounds like so much fun.
Sign me up as well.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Jean has some very creative ideas. This will be a FUN swap! I signed up earlier.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 21 2021 10:06:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  09:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
I will be sending to you, what fun we will have.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  10:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm sorry, Debbie - I am Jean's partner. Your partner will be the next one after you to sign up. Please wait for Jean to add to list of partners.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 21 2021 10:07:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile
So, if I understand the rules I send to Linda as she is the next one on the list? Or am I confused?
Help!
Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels, and

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jan 21 2021 10:12:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  11:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour Jeudi (Good Day Thursday) Farmgirl beta testers . . .
Thanks for helping me iron out any bugs in my "Instant Partner" idea. There has been a little confusion. So, let me try to clarify a bit -- Don't assume who your partner is from the posts. Wait until I show the partners up in the original posting. Thanks for bearing with me as I work out the kinks. I think I'm actually going to like this for some swaps because we will have the opportunity to get to know our partner's likes and dislikes better and work together on developing our idea. We'll see how it goes. Please post your progress.

Later today after I have dealt with the new swappers, I think I'll post a Cajun recipe . . . waddaya think about a nice dessert for some lagniappe (a little something extra).

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 21 2021 1:38:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hammahsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Nik
Baldwinsville NY
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  12:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Sounds Yummy!!! I just finished teaching for the day and it was a full day to be sure!!! My hubby has had a few long days due to getting up at 2:30 AM for Plowing before work so a New Recipe for this weekend would be a nice treat!!! I can't wait - I will order anything I need for Delivery tomorrow or have my daughter run and get it for me when she stops over.

Niki

Hammah Nik

Hammahsfarm
Farmgirl # 8102

The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant the seeds ?" "Not I," barked the lazy dog . "Not I," purred the sleepy cat . "Not I," quacked the noisy yellow duck . "Then I will," said the little red hen .
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  1:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
YUM A Cajun recipe. We love New Orleans. My favorite is Jambalaya. Do you happen to have a recipe for that? LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  1:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry Linda I see now where you signed up at top.
I should pay more attention:-(

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels, and
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  1:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
No problem! This is a new concept she is trying out.

Hope to get some sewing done today - it is drizzly rain and cold. Great weather to try to create and sew. Also trying to work on a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt pieces. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Whenever I got to spend a little playtime in Nawlins, at the top of my to do list was always a cooking class. Today we’re going to visit the Cajun Cooking School and talk about pecans. Now we were admonished at the start of class to NEVER and I mean never, call them ‘peecans’. They were to be called ‘pekahns’. Pee cans were something Gramama put under the bed at night.
Today, we’re going to make a Cajun Pecan Pie and for lagniappe (a little something extra) we’ll make Pralines. Let’s begin.

PECAN PIE
5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 cup white Karo syrup
3 Tbs butter or margarine
1 cup broken pecan pieces
5 egg whites, well beaten
Vanilla to taste
Cream, butter or margarine with sugar and egg yolks. Add syrup, vanilla and pecans and stir well. Fold in egg whites. Pour into unbaked pastry shell and bake slowly at 325 degrees for one hour until custard like in consistency. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream and a few pecans sprinkled on top.

And, now for the lagniappe. I love that word and am wondering how I can create a swap around it. Any ideas?

CREAMY PECAN PRALINES (Please pronounce “prah-leens” not “pray-leens”)

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
½ cup evaporated milk
2 Tbs. butter
1 cup pecans
½ tsp. vanilla

Combine sugars and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add butter, pecans and vanilla. Mix completely and then do not stir any more. Cook until temperature reaches 236 degrees (softball stage). Cool about 5 minutes. Beat until thickened. Spoon onto a well-buttered surface and allow to harden. Make them small or large as you choose.

I like to do things differently as y'all are beginning to find out. Hence, we started with our Cajun cookin' in the dessert department. And there are more yummy desserts to come. And, Linda, Jambalaya is on the list not to worry.

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page