Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

The slower pace of pandemic life has been a good time to clean out, declutter and organize! What are you organizing or cleaning out these days? What tips do you have?

I will start. I have cleaned out a storage closet in the basement, and my hubby organized our downstairs pantry. Yesterday I cleaned, scrubbed and organized the refrigerator. I do that from time to time, but it always feels good to peek in and see it all clean and tidy!

A few weeks ago, I organized a junk drawer. I have a few more of those. The spice cabinet was another, throwing out old spices, organizing by alphabetical order, and getting rid of doubles. Before Christmas, I organized a closet with the gift wrap, and the bows and boxes. Made present wrapping a snap, and having everything one needs, like tape and scissors was a plus.

I got rid of some broken and old Christmas, and packed away things really well this year. That closet was a big thing to organize - everytime I opened it, there was an avalanche! Not anymore!

Still have a few more drawers I want to tackle, and my clothes closet needs to be cleaned up a bit.

What are you organizing?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  05:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I too have been cleaning out, organizing and downsizing stuff since this pandemic struck. It has been quite refreshing to tackle those old boxes in storage and drawers, old books crowding bookshelves read years ago, and clothes that haven’t been worn in several years for various fitting reasons. My kitchen is small but I spend a lot of time here because I love to cook and also have longed created that old timey cozy ambiance in it. Starting last Spring, I created a faux brick backsplash with this realistic contact paper. I saw an example in a magazine and it was an inexpensive and transforming change for an otherwise dead space. Then I found these old wooden cheese boxes and turned them into a ready to grab fun storage location right on my counter near the stove. I found some perfect small jars on Amazon and overhauled every spice and then dated them. Apparently, when properly stored, dried herbs last 2-3 years when kept dry and out of sunlight. These two changes then spurred me on to other small ways to gather counter top stuff together and free ups space and provide a pleasing way to the overall look. I don’t have a lot of counter space so grabbing back every inch from clutter has been a much needed improvement.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  07:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, organizing and re-organizing seems to be a round-robin around my house. I organize but over a month or two of my rummaging around to find something it has to be tidied up again. The spaces that seem to need organizing the most are kitchen counter top and table; pie safe that stores dried veggies/herbs/jars; pantry; 6 ft garden bench in living room that holds garden & cookbooks; and the shelves in my walk-in closets that holds fabrics & patterns.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2021 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Sara it seems my pantry and spice cabinet always seem to be the first thing to need reorganizing, too. I need to go throught book shelves, as well. I think I will save that for a rainy day.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2021 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile
I usually do pretty well in the kitchen. My big areas to organize right now are my fabric, my desk, and my closet. I have this bad habit of just sticking stuff somewhere when I'm done with a project. My fabric used to be organized in totes. Now who knows what is in each tote! The same with my desk - it's my craft area. It used to be stamps and ink in one drawer, cards in another, paint, etc. Not so organized right now LOL. My closet is organized, there's just too many clothes in there that I don't wear any more. I need to go through and donate what no longer fits or I haven't worn in a while.

Winnie - I'm kind of new to drying herbs so I worry that they're not dry enough. Just in case they're not I store mine in the freezer. I don't usually have much left by the time harvest starts again, but I've had a couple last over a year that way.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2021 :  5:28:02 PM  Show Profile
As long as I'm sewing the sewing room remains fairly neat. I clean it up after every project is finished. However, I haven't been sewing for the past 6 weeks so the sewing room has gotten cluttered with everything else I've been doing. It's definitely time to clean it all up. Just as soon as I get up the energy to do it. Maybe next year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Ever since this pandemic started I have been cleaning out, decluttering and organizing our entire house. We even did our storage shed which is now empty. Yay! We will be moving in the future and have done all of this and have decided what furniture we will take and what we will get rid of. A lot will not be going. Feels so good and much easier to clean.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 25 2021 4:18:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, this one works for me LOL . . . . jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  10:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Jean -- Thank you for warning me about the Japanese method.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2021 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls!

Okay - so I took four full days and organized ALL of my recipes into two HUGE 4" binders, complete with plastic sleeves. It COMPLETELY transformed my life!

I've got sections for everything, even canning recipes, a section for kid fun recipes (like play dough), holiday recipes (homemade panorama eggs)... you name it. If it was a clipping, it went in a sleeve. If it was a handwritten heirloom family recipe, in a sleeve. If I had it in the computer, I typed it out and it went in a sleeve. Same with recipes from my recipe box, my personal recipe book, etc. I really love being able to pull out an individual recipe in the protective sleeve as needed - the sleeve keeps them from getting stained and spotted and worn - and then just pop it back into place when I'm done! WELL worth every minute!

I also spent time organizing my seeds. I could never find the perfect organization system, then I saw a woman on YouTube use those plastic cases that hold smaller plastic cases, meant to organize one's photographs! I had plenty of those in my craft room! I took all of my seeds, alphabetized them, and spread them out between two cases... Here's what I got!

You can find these cases in pretty much any craft store. They can be pricey (I've seen them for upwards of $39.99!), but if you watch for the 40% off sales at Joann's or Michael's, you're golden. They are so, so worth it! I am so excited about how my seeds are organized now. I don't know why I hadn't thought about it before! These cases are perfect for everything - crafts, seeds, even coupons!!!

Now onto the spare rooms and attic! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 09 2021 12:07:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you organizing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page