Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  10:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Every one*

I am working on Apples - Beginner level.
I am supposed to post 2 things I have Learned.

I learned the history of how Apples came to the USA and also the types of varieties grown in my area.

Cheers*
Candy Hogan #8283

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  07:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Candy, happy to see your beginner Apple badge is ready to submit.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey Candy! How are you enjoying the badges? Which apple varieties do you get in your area?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Candy and congratulations on starting your badge on Apples. I am curious what kind of apples actually grow in your area of California? There are so many varieties on the market today and most of the time I have no idea where they are grown in the US?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  10:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Krista,

I am just learning how to reply on these posts,
I have been going non stop on badges since joining in Dec 2020.

Coming up on 3 months since joining and I have 116 badges, the Farmgirl Legends Chapter Leader,
I am working on Farmgirl Legends Guru, Schoolmarm, Sharpshooter and Guide.

Thank you,
Candy #8283
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2021 :  12:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow Candy! That is amazing and such an accomplishment! You are definitely inspiring. I'm happy to hear you love the badges so much!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2021 :  5:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow Candy! Well done on your merit badges. You're a girl after my own heart. I'm loving my merit badge achievements too. My New Year's resolution was to achieve the Sharpshooter badge by the end of this year.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2021 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile
As part of my "Apples" merit badge, I have to share a few things that I have learned about apples specific to my region.

Here in Queensland, our closest apple growing area is Stanthorpe. Stanthorpe holds the record for the lowest temperature recorded in Queensland at -11 °C in July 1895. In winter Stanthorpe is frequently the coldest town in the state with sleet and light snowfalls recorded from time to time. The Granite Belt is therefore one of the few areas in Queensland with a climate suitable for pome fruit production. The area’s elevation of 800-1000 metres above sea level results in a cool summer climate, which is brilliant for growing large and juicy apples and pears. In 2017 there were approximately 32 apple growers in Queensland, many of whom have farmed in the district for generations and who also grow stone fruit, pears and cherries. The region could be called “Little Italy” because of the large proportion of inhabitants with Italian ethnic origins.

When minerals were found on the Granite Belt large numbers of tin miners moved to the area. The name Stanthorpe derives from the Latin: stannum (tin) and thorpe (village). When tin mining declined in the region the locals started to diversify and people began growing large quantities of stone fruit and grapes. Apple orchards are located around the northern and western Granite Belt villages of Cottonvale, Thulimbah, The Summit, Applethorpe and Pozieres which are all within 15 minutes’ drive of the heart of Stanthorpe.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (Ag. Commodities, 2015-16), in 2016 Queensland was the third largest apple producer in Australia. The main apple varieties grown in the Granite Belt at present include: Pink Lady, Royal Gala, Granny Smith and Red Delicious.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2021 :  05:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I enjoyed learning about your area of Australia where apples are successfully grown. Apples are such an adaptable fruit and with just a few conditions can grow well. It sounds like your area covers many of the most favorite varieties too. Do you have local orchards with at U-pick option and have you gone out and picked apples when they ripen? There is nothing better that picking your own apples and bring therm home and making an apple pie . Within a few hours, you can have the freshest and most delicious apple pie there is!! Of the apples n your area, what are your favorites?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2021 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,

Unfortunately, I haven't been to a U-pick orchard for a very long time. Stanthorpe is about a 2-hour car ride from our place, so we don't get down there very often. If we are in that area, we often stop at the farm gate stalls and pick up fresh apples and stone fruits. My favourite eating apple would have to be Red Delicious and my favourite cooking apple is the good old Granny Smith.
Have you ever tasted a Nashi Pear or "Asian Pear"? They are often thought to be a cross between an apple and a pear, but they are in fact in the pear family. They are so delicious!!

Farmgirl #6058

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2021 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, we do get shipments of Asian Pears here in Florida and I have tried them once. I am not sure mine was ripe enough as it had little taste. Sometimes fruit is picked too early and it never develops it's true flavor. I will give them a try again when they show up this year. Right now I have some Wild Twist apples and they are awesome. This apple is a hybrid from the HoneyCrisp and Cripps Pink and fairly new on the market. It is a large firm, juicy, tase/sweet, and crunchy apple that is absolutely delicious. It was developed here around Lancaster, Pennsylvania. If any get imported out your way, be sure to give them a try.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Apples Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page