katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile
I hate to be crabby,, but.. right about now my confidence in the US Post Office is about -10...
While here in Palm Springs,, I have all my mail forwarded to my daughter's house.. less then 2mile up the country road.,
And I have fussed about problems with mail delivery.. getting other peoples mail and my mail going MIA...
but since November.. the P.O. strikes again.. My BFF sent me a package from Germany,, it floated around for 6weeks and then was returned to her with a stamped message: "Package refused"..
So Irmgard resent it to me.. here it is, a few days shy of the end of the month,, and still no package..
Then.. I had filled out and submitted a 'Address Forwarding" request about 2 weeks before we left for California,, 2 days before we left, I popped into the P.O. and the clerk said she say the request and would 'process it' right away.. in the mean time my mail was not forwarded until a week and a hall... even my confirmation for the Forward request, did not arrive until all most 10 day after..

And now,, a package arrived (at my daughter) she sent me a photo.. it had been torn open and then repackaged and taped closed.. and.. on the label it said " box closed".. and then also on the package was a yellow sticker with the forwarding address...
I hate to step on toes,, but I am NOT happy with (our) post office!
Also,, I almost forgot,,, I had received a notice back in early Dec. that my P.O. leased is due 1/30 for $65.00
SO on 1/12 I mailed my payment.. as of 1/26 my check still hadn't been cashed.. so I called on 1/27... and was told they had my check and it would be processed... next day still not processed and I received an email it was due on 1/30.
So I went on line and created an account and went to pay for the box.. the Bill was for $85.00
Oh My Stars,, just 3 years ago my P.O. box was $57.00, then I noticed last year it went up to $65.00 but now it's $85.00..
Wholly Molly.. it has gone up $28.00 in 3 1/2 years!
Baffles my brain,, that it costs me that much.. especially sine they do not have to have a employee , a vehicle and gas to go to my house and put the mail in my box.

OK,,, rant time over.. and I probably used up my 5min of wifi time..

Other then that.. life is good, the sun is shining and I just ran out of cotton yarn, but have 7 dish rags sitting on the coffee table..oh and I also crocheted a blankie for my pup, Ginger.
hugz & squisches, miss you all.
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  1:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Well bummer Katmom . . . I'm beginning to wonder if I should just wait until mid-March and drive your feed sack goodies over to Spokane myself. . . well DH drives, I ride. LOL. Makes me apprehensive about mailing.
Sure do miss our fun Katmom around the Connection. We'll all be glad when you're back.
Big hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile
The post office is just not what it used to be. The more they raise he postage the worse the service becomes. I recall longingly when I was young in the city and it cost 3 cents to mail a letter and the mailman came twice a day during the week and once on Saturday.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  5:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
And at Christmas in Illinois where I lived they came twice a day and even on Sunday! For 3 cents a card!

I so agree with you Judith. Service is down and postage is skyrocketing.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I hosted the 2020 Stocking Stuffer Swap as I always have done since I came up with the idea years ago on The MJF Farm.
But this year I was shocked when I went to UPS to mail the package and I figured it would be around 20.00 to mail because
I love to overflow the Stocking I send. But No...it cost me $38.00 to mail. I about fainted on the Spot. And no I wasn't sending
it to Canada or out of the Country. I was just shocked!! Maybe USPS would have been cheaper but not by much. So, I had
also purchased my Christmas stamps there too and my total Bill was 103.00.

I feel your frustration Grace! By the way my son has a Condo where you are right now. And he is there...enjoying the weather!!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LIVE LIFE IN FULL BLOOM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so so sorry. This is definitely not ok and very frustrating. I haven’t been having any of those issues other than getting my neighbors mail every other day so I am constantly walking it over to her. Things have just gone crazy and insane. I hope things with your post office shape up soon. Sending many hugs!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  09:34:13 AM  Show Profile
OK,, so last Tuesday, I mail 2 'test' letters back home. 1 to my home address and the 2nd to my P.O. box..
I also mailed 3 Post Cards to my Grandkiddos.. well they got the post cards 3 days later and now here it is 6 days later and my 2 test letters still have not arrived..
I set up 'Mail forwarding' so that all my mail will go to my daughter's house, just up the road from my house.. I can't believe that even with COVID, it take more then 6 days to forward a piece of mail.. I did us my return address' on the letters.. so I guess they are in a Loop... back & forth..
Ugh!
Thank goodness I do all my billing and etc on-line.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering.. yes,, the weather here in the Palm Springs area is just lovely,, averaging mid to high 70's every day..
We take Ginger pup on daily walks,, well she walks a couple of blocks and then rides in her stroller the rest of the way! haha!
Have a wonderful week and stay healthy.. I miss you all.
>^..^<

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  09:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Ed and I were in San Antonio last week and I had a HOLD notice from Monday through Friday. My neighbor was feeding the cats, and I asked her to watch for a package that might come. She went to the mailbox every day and every day there was mail. On Friday I went to the PO to pickup anything that might be there and complain - only a couple pieces from Monday (1 a package) were held at the PO. When I showed them a copy of the Confirmation email regarding the hold, and told them there was mail in the box every day, their answer was "the regular delivery person was out and there were subs that week." I told them that wasn't a good answer and that they should not hire subs if they can't read a Hold Notice. I said if my neighbor had not been checking the box everyday, leaving mail in the box would indicate we were not home and that was not satisfactory service.

We hate talking to the PO - they always have a lame excuse.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  1:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I am so sorry! That is very frustrating. Makes me a little worried to send letters right now. They may not make it. I do have a package I am waiting for that is going through the post office. It’s coming from Pennsylvania and has stoped traveling. It’s been almost 2 weeks. Hopefully it arrives soon!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2021 :  11:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I completely commiserate!

I have to say, I am getting pretty upset with the Post Office now, too. I mean, where we live, it's common to have our mail delivered to the other side of town, and then have a stranger pop up at our door delivering what was dropped off at their house. But recently my Mom suffered with credit card fraud. The company immediately closed her card and issued a new one. They told her the new card would arrive in 7 - 10 business days. After four weeks of no card, she called them, concerned that her new card had been lost or stolen. The credit card company told her that they have had many customers call to complain. What they were telling them was to wait a couple of more weeks because of the terrible delays with the Postal Service. If it didn't show up, THEN they would issue a new one. Lo and behold, it DID arrive a couple of weeks later with the original postmark on it. They definitely sent it on time, it just took THAT long to get there.

Further, a few people here are still waiting for their unemployment cards to arrive after WEEKS of waiting for them to even be issued. They are continually told not to worry, they aren't lost, just delayed due to Postal Service delays. Nice. Really nice.

And I, too, have had mail opened, re-routed, and lost. I've had two packages (maybe three, now that I think of it) from Amazon completely disappear mid-route) Amazon unable to give me any more information), only for me to cancel the order, receive a refund (which they are very good about, actually) and then either re-order through Amazon or somewhere else...only to THEN have the original package suddenly show up out of the blue and be re-charged for it by Amazon. Then you have to decide whether to keep it (are you gonna use more than one?) or which one to return (which cost less or which return will be easiest to process?). It's insane. As far as shopping online goes (which sometimes IS a necessity for me), I'm backing away for a while. I prefer to shop locally, anyway. Online used to be so easy, but now it can really be a nightmare.

Don't even get me started about returns to some places being delivered weeks later and then the processing of the return being held up do to an influx of after-holiday returns. Ugh.

I do understand that the Post Office must be short-handed due to the pandemic, I do. But they are still operating, and there are still procedures they should be following. There may be an excuse for a little bit of a delay, but the rest of it? I can't help think it's just plain incompetence or that people don't give a hoot.

While I'm on the subject, you know what else happened a couple of weeks ago? My bff from childhood had scheduled an early morning phone call (just easier) one day. While we were talking, twice someone was at my front door jiggling the handle, as if to try to come in. I was horrified. Even Bella, our dog, sat up, ears high and stared at the door. Then I saw a plain clothes guy run next door to our neighbor's house, then across the street and jiggle the handle, then to our other next door neighbor's house. This happened a couple of times. I told my friend to please stay on the line, and if anything happened please call 911. I went to the door and called out, "Excuse me - did you just try my door knob?" He said, "Yes. I work for the Post Office. I have a package to deliver." He pointed to the truck sitting down the road, a couple of houses away. I pointed to my mail and delivery baskets and said, "Well I have a mail basket right here and a basket underneath for packages. You can leave it there." He just said, "Oh." I closed the door and waited. He delivered nothing. I was really upset about this. Tried calling our local Post Office a couple of times, only to get the busy signal. Later in the afternoon, returning from our daily walk to the park, there he was at the end of the street (Why? He did his route in the morning), sitting in the mail truck with a big notebook writing. I told my husband that was the man I had seen trying to get in our door this morning. I tried calling the Post Office again, but just got the busy signal. I've been watching very carefully. I haven't seen him again. If I do, next time I will report him to the police. It was just so weird. I probably should've called them to begin with. I just figured maybe he was a newbie and wasn't too up on protocol. But it was a bit upsetting, too, I have to say.

It's a crazy world we live in girls. My stepdad is a retired former mailman and he goes crazy when he hears stuff like this. It just wasn't like that in his day. Not at all.

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2021 :  8:03:40 PM  Show Profile
ok, update on 1 of the 2 'Test' letters I sent to both my P.O. box and house.. well,, the one to my P.O. box just arrived back,(to the return addy) labeled 'undeliverable, no forwarding address'... as for the 2 letter it still has not shown up..

Maybe Amazon should take over the P.O.,, I never seem to have an issue getting my orders from them!

Linda,, dang it, thank goodness your neighbor was ov er every day for your kitties.

Nini,, that is scary, about the Dude jiggling the door knobs..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2021 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nini - I'd call the police. Sounds like a very bad excuse from that man. Was ne really a mailman? Maybe the police would come and check him out.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2021 :  10:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Katmom -- Did you get the tracking and label info I sent you?. I think some of my emails to you don't get there.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2021 :  10:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Jean, I checked with my neighbors,, nope, they didn't receive the mailer... and I talked with the postal guy who makes the deliveries.. he gave me the phone number of the P.O. that our mail would go to.. he double checked the tracking #, and was amiss as to why to zip was changed..
"She' said it was a mystery why the computer changed the zip code entry and would put a search on it.. She also said, it looks as if the mailer was scanned as it was put on the truck, but then it looks like it was re-scanned,, and returned to the P.O., but not sure if that is the case. She is suppose to contact me on Tuesday with an update.. oh joy, sit and wait..
And test litter is also still MIA...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  3:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jean.. qiuck update.. I flagged down the postal carrier and asked about the 4-1-1 on my missing package.. Get This... he said Anna has it and is waiting for me to come pick it up,, because there is postage due on the package..
#1,, I spoke with Anna last Thuirsday, she promised she would search for the package, and call /email me on Friday or on Tuesday (Mon was a Holiday).. so here it is,, Thursday,, 1 week since I started the search..
She nor the carrier bothered to put a note in my mail box to update me on the postage,, she didn't call or text or email me..
How am I suppose to know I have to go to the Post Office and pay the postage when no one bothers to tell me.. but the bigger problem is,, The package was brought into the Idaho P.O. for postage and mailing.. so how did they mess up on the postage... and why did the P.O. initially deliever the package... but then change the zip code on the package and return it to the P.O. ,,, leaving me to have to hunt and search for it, and then when the package is found,, no one bothered to even leave a Postage Due notice in my box..
And PLEASE.. do not say, 'Due to the COVID-19 they are under staffed.. "
Not a good excuse for shoddy work. UUGGHHHHH!

And, I can't leave the house right now as we have a Handy man here doing repair work.. so I will shoot out first thing tomorrow morning to drive over to the P.O. to retrieve the package..

Wine Please.. and lots of it!!! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Bazaar! Bazaar! to say the least. It was mailed at Deary, Idaho on February 1 in a Priority FLAT RATE envelope with correct postage. So, are they asking you to pay postage due to cover their inefficiency in mailing it all to H3XX and baCK? Insert a bunch of censored four letter words here!! Oh well, I'll calm down now and just be thankful that it's been located. So sorry you had to go through so much to find it.
Big hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Grace! It just keeps getting worse. I am so sorry you have to keep dealing with this. What is going on with the post office. My package still never moved so I finally contacted the shipper and she put in an inquiry last Thursday for it and they responded saying it was “somewhere” but they believe it’s still in Pennsylvania. So she responded making it urgent. Now it has magically appeared here and is out for delivery. Hopefully it really comes. So crazy what is going on.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile
This is the kind of thing you expect when something is mailed from China. I sometimes think our postal service would be better if
Amazon took over.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile
If you are shipping or receiving packages from overseas, try DHL. I ordered something from South Africa (a small business I have been buying from for over 10 years). DHL picked it up in South Africa. It went to Germany and the Netherlands then Ohio. The package was handed to my father-in-law who happened to be standing in my driveway - 4 days later. Four days! I sent a package USPS to Florida around the same time and it took 2 weeks to get there.

I had to go to on-line paying my credit card and car payment. I called the credit card company and told them it would have been nice to get the bill before I got the late notice! My December car payment notice came the second week of January. The January payment came a week later. Both were past due. I was paid ahead so it only cost me some interest, no late fees. Credit card company charged me $25 late fee.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
we haven't had mail delivery fpor 4 days. Today, even though my Informed Delivery said I had 5 envelopes coming, we got mail but it was all flyers. They said the trucks can't get from the distribution center to the local PO. And, also, our local PO and another a few towns over, both had their sprinkler pipes burst and take down the ceilings. So the POs here are a MESS!

Also, they said the only mail IN the post office here was the weekly flyers. No actual needed mail.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  2:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Ok, last update.. finally got it figured out.. and when Anna went to retrieve the package she discovered it had been put on another truck and ... sent back to Idaho!!!
OMG!, I am just shaking my head...

We use to have DHL here in the States but they just could not survive in the market against FEDEX & UPS..
DHL is popular in Europe,, I think it originated in Germany.

I think our Postal system needs a major over haul!
What once was a solid, dependable Civil service office has now become a total mess... and it started well before COVID-19

OK<, time to enjoy a lovely glass of iced mocha coffee.. I am soooo loving this lovely sunny weather..
My heart truly goes out to all my farm sisters in the cold States..
Stay warm and safe.

hugz-n-squisches

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  6:50:38 PM  Show Profile
So,, the origonal package that Jean sent me,, even though it was 'sent' back to her, per Anna at the P.O> has still managed to continue being MIA.. I went back into the P.O> web potal to check the tracking #,, no entry since 2/9 when it was supposedly delievered... and no updates, no nothing... who knows where it is now!

But... on the plus side... the origonal package my BFF in Germany sent to me,, and then was returned to her and then she re-sent to me in the middle of Dec.. has arrived ... beat to bupkis,, but at least it arrived...

On the other hand,, I sent a 15lb box filled with goodies for my grand kiddos on Mon 2/22 and it arrived yesterday 2/25...
Hmmm, I might have to FEDEX all my packages from here on out!

Thank goodness it's Friday night,, because I have lots of sewing to do...
Stazy safe all and stay healthy...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  05:06:24 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I know the frustration with USPS. Sometimes, things go smoothly, but then, stuff goes MIA and it takes a long time to resolve the problem! It is hard to know when you send even a letter or card if it will arrive on time. I think you were wise to use Fed-Ex for shipping a package because UPS and Fed-EX seem to have their delivery system better organized and reliable. It does cost more but at least you can count on it!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  11:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo!! At last the missing mail found it's mark. The PRIORITY FLAT RATE envelope I sent to Katmom in Palm Desert on February 1 finally reached her yesterday on February 26. I'm sure glad I sent it Priority. If I had sent it regular mail, it might not have found her until next year. Just sent her another one yesterday. I sure hope it has a better journey.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile
I still have a missing 'test' letter.. that I sent to my home address and used my sisters return addy... yep, it's still MIA..
BUT..
the package that was origonally sent in November, from Germany ended up in my mail box yesterday! only took 3 1/2 month...

Oh my stars! I hope the P.O. gets to hire new additional staff so the few, won't be over loaded with work..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile
I put 5 checks in the mailbox on Jan 9th (to pay bills). They still have not been received. It's quite a mess when you get a letter in the mail to tell you your car insurance is going to be cancelled because they didn't receive the payment - after they already cancelled it because it took so long for the letter to come. And the PO says "be patient - it's because of covid and the January holiday" What????? I understand being slow but 2 months and still no sign of any of the 5 tells me something happened to my mail.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic P.O. strikes Again! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page